IGNORED

Should Louis Have Laid Up on #18 at Torrey?

saevel25
Note: This thread is 1076 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Should Louis had Lay-Up on #18?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Should Louis had Lay-Up on #18?

• Yes
    • No

I was thinking, was if Louis should have tried to get the ball on the green on hole #18? Maybe closer to the pin? I just wonder if the odds were better for an eagle if he took more risk on the 1st approach shot. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Should Louis Have Laid Up on #18 at Torrey?
  • Administrator

He was in the rough, no? He's not exactly a bomber.

Not many eagles were made there all day. One?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

He was in the rough, no?

It wasn’t a particularly good lie, either.

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

Not many eagles were made there all day. One?

I believe that’s what they said on the broadcast.

I think he made the right play. What he needed to do was not put himself in a situation where he needed to eagle the final hole to tie.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Long second shot from the rough over water to a front pin ... with trees in the way I think?  Onto the green was unlikely, maybe I could see trying to hit it over the green or maybe into the bunker for that chance to hole out instead of a full swing.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I voted yes. His lie was bad and his long shots were getting squirrelly. His tee shot on 17 was awful. Anywhere right and there’s possibly a playoff. Tee shot at 18 was also a miss. He was losing confidence in his long game at that point.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Yes, with that lie that was the best percentage play.

Less than one percent chance he gets on green if he hits a 3W or something and even less he holes a putt for eagle after that. 

He dug the grave on 17th 🥴. Ughhh.. will prolly haunt him for life.

11 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I voted no. 

Don't you mean yes, he did the right thing in laying up? Or am I the one who is confused.

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

25 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Yes, with that lie that was the best percentage play.

Less than one percent chance he gets on green if he hits a 3W or something and even less he holes a putt for eagle after that. 

He dug the grave on 17th 🥴. Ughhh.. will prolly haunt him for life.

Don't you mean yes, he did the right thing in laying up? Or am I the one who is confused.

Ha! Yes! I guess I should wake up a bit more before voting!

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Ha! Yes! I guess I should wake up a bit more before voting!

No politics please….😂

• Funny 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

He absolutely made the right play.

Sometimes all you can do is all you can do…

• Thumbs Up 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

2 minutes ago, David in FL said:

He absolutely made the right play.

Sometimes all you can do is all you can do…

This

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

No politics please….😂

The was a spit take in Ohio because of this response. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Eagle from the rough was an unlikely scenario and he picked the best option given his lie. It was going to take a miracle shot and putt versus a miracle wedge. While I would have loved the drama of bringing the water in play, I think he chose the highest percentage route.  

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5* | Rad Tour 18.5* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

IMHO, a more appropriate question to ask is "Should Louis have aimed for a bunker on the right on the 17th hole?"

It was nuts trying to even flirt with that hazard on the 17th hole.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, Yukari said:

IMHO, a more appropriate question to ask is "Should Louis have aimed for a bunker on the right on the 17th hole?"

It was nuts trying to even flirt with that hazard on the 17th hole.

Not necessarily.

Dispersion is a bitch.

• Like 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Hole outs from green side bunkers have to be way more frequent than 80 yard shots.

But, I’m guessing he couldn’t get it in the green side bunker from where he was….so I think he made the right decision.

From what I remember watching the tournament.

He said that he could carry it 180 from that lie, and if he landed it where he was aiming, the ball would hop left into the water.

I think the issue is, can you guarantee you end up in the bunker. What are the odds of a hole out from that rough near the green? 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Slim_Pivot said:

Hole outs from green side bunkers have to be way more frequent than 80 yard shots.

But, I’m guessing he couldn’t get it in the green side bunker from where he was….so I think he made the right decision.

Rahm was in that bunker and couldn’t even aim at the hole no? Or maybe it was Brooks?

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Rham was in that bunker and couldn’t even aim at the hole no? Or maybe it was Brooks?

You’re right..it was Rahm. He could play to the flag but the green was downhill, fast, and there was water.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 1076 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!