IGNORED

2021 British Open (Players Angry Over COVID Protocols)

StuM
Note: This thread is 1021 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Are the 2021 Open COVID Protocols going too far?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Are the 2021 Open COVID Protocols going too far?

• Yes
    • No

31 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

You'd have thought Bryson shot the 10-over instead of Phil. 

So he's +1 and about to tee off for his second round. That's plenty of opportunity for him to get back under the cut line and give himself a chance on the weekend.

It will be interesting to see if the spoiled brat routine helps or hurts him today.  

Let's not forget, he was playing with Spieth. Probably annoys Bryson to no end that this unthinking player(in Bryson's mind), who subscribes to the hit it, find it, and hit it again method tooled around in 65, while Bryson's "master plan" only returned a 1 over.

Spieth is hitting some lasers with his irons. Every time I look up, he's hitting an iron to 15 feet. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I feel like Google search is broken in that whenever you search for British Open, CBS.com comes up before theopen.com.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Well DeChambeau is +3 through six holes.

Probably too late now, but the next time we know he'll have this in the bag.

41jDCiY6o5L._AC_.jpg

Edited by mcanadiens

6 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Well DeChambeau is +3 through six holes.

Probably too late now, but the next time we know he'll have this in the bag.

41jDCiY6o5L._AC_.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, jmanbooyaa said:

The guy is playing a 5 degree driver. I can’t imagine Cobra mass producing one of those for the public. Who the hell would want a 5 degree driver? Amateur and pro besides this nut. 

Haha. He does swing pretty fast and uniquely. That's the only thing I can come up with to try to help him. Playing a 5 degree driver does seem dumb. Gives him less forgiveness off the tee. He'd be better off sacrificing some distance for some extra loft and accuracy I think.

3 minutes ago, Jack50 said:

Playing a 5 degree driver does seem dumb. Gives him less forgiveness off the tee. He'd be better off sacrificing some distance for some extra loft and accuracy I think.

That 5* has also won him a USO and other tournaments while killing the Tour in SG off the tee as well. Sometimes your swing just isn’t there. Maybe extra loft would help, but then again, maybe not. He already hits the ball so high. If he added loft, the ball will just go higher and with more spin because spin loft will increase. A high flying, higher spinning driver won’t necessarily help him out any more than what he’s doing. 

It’s easy to call something out when things aren’t going well, but I don’t recall many talking about his driver when he was playing really well. In fact, the only thing people were talking about was his approach play and wedge play holding him back. 

5 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

That 5* has also won him a USO and other tournaments while killing the Tour in SG off the tee as well. Sometimes your swing just isn’t there. Maybe extra loft would help, but then again, maybe not. He already hits the ball so high. If he added loft, the ball will just go higher and with more spin because spin loft will increase. A high flying, higher spinning driver won’t necessarily help him out any more than what he’s doing. 

It’s easy to call something out when things aren’t going well, but I don’t recall many talking about his driver when he was playing really well. In fact, the only thing people were talking about was his approach play and wedge play holding him back. 

I know he's done well, not saying he hasn't. He could always change the driver to a higher loft after a bad driving round. Then go back to lower loft (dare I say it even lower than 5 degrees is possible) if he's smashing everything straight.

10 minutes ago, Jack50 said:

I know he's done well, not saying he hasn't. He could always change the driver to a higher loft after a bad driving round. Then go back to lower loft (dare I say it even lower than 5 degrees is possible) if he's smashing everything straight.

Again, the guy already hits driver over 130’ in the air at its apex with a 5*. You want him to play an even higher lofted driver that will make him launch it even higher and with more spin at a British Open, where it’s quite blustery? 🤔

Even assuming that the higher lofted driver is slightly more forgiving, I don’t think this is the play. I guess it could work if he went the Cameron Champ route by hitting down on his driver and hitting low bullets, but other than that, I’m going to disagree. Moreover, that would be a pretty big change in technique for Bryson to make over night.

Again, it’s the swing, dude, not the driver. 

Edited by ncates00
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Again, it’s the swing, dude, not the driver. 

At that swing speed. The equipment does matter a bit more. I agree he is staying to close to the edge with that swing speed. 

It sounded like he was deflecting his bad round on the equipment.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Also, you don’t go making changes just because you’re having bad rounds. That’s what us stupid am’s do. It’s golf, and it’s hard. He has a great track record off the tee. He should stick with what he’s doing because it’s working. You don’t lead the Tour by a large margin over the course of the majority of the season, unless you’re really freaking good. Bad funks happen. It’s golf. 

3 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

At that swing speed. The equipment does matter a bit more. I agree he is staying to close to the edge with that swing speed. 

It sounded like he was deflecting his bad round on the equipment.

Yeah but like I said below, it’s golf. He’s leading the Tour in SG off the tee by a large margin just like Morikawa is with approach play. You don’t go making drastic changes just because you’re in a funk. It worked before and it’ll work again. You just gotta do what got you there. Don’t discount a whole season just because of a couple of bad rounds. 

Edited by ncates00

6 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

You don’t go making drastic changes just because you’re in a funk. It worked before and it’ll work again. You just gotta do what got you there.

You do if you are an 8 year old!😜

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

4 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Dude! You had three years of basic college physics! Three years! That’s f**king nothing!  Stop acting like you’re Sir Isaac F-ing Newton! 

Isaac Newton was stuck at home during a pandemic at approximately the same age Bryson was a year and a half ago.  He used the time to invent Calculus.  

2 hours ago, Billy Z said:

Patrick Reed made a great shot out of a fairway divot yesterday. 

I like to say this whenever people complain about being in a divot and wanting it declared GUR or whatever.  Just because your ball is in a divot doesn't mean you're in a hole. 

(And when I get to visit a range with real grass, I like hitting a few shots out of divots, but that's another story for another time)

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

I feel like Google search is broken in that whenever you search for British Open, CBS.com comes up before theopen.com.

That's really bad, especially since it's on NBC. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

1 minute ago, colin007 said:

Ugh...c'mon anybody but Speeef

monkey's paw curls, Bryson birdies the remaining holes today and shoots 59-59 this weekend

• Booooooooo 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 1021 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!