IGNORED

Guy Tried to Fight Me on the Course

wakefield724
Note: This thread is 915 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So admittedly I'm not a great golfer and i make multiple mistakes per round. Yesterday i was playing my first round of 2022 at a cheap local course. I have a boarderline draw/hook and off the tee, i ended up less than 3 yards into the next hole's fairway. 

Had no idea this guy was behind the trees and i almost hit him. Ive been hit with balls before. It happens. If you're at an amatuer course, expect amatuer golf. 

Walking up dude blitzes from the tree line and throws my ball at me like he was Randy Johnson. I apologized and said i suck at golf and did not see him there. He continued to yell and make a scene which im used to as im the beta in my relationship so i just continued to apologize. 

Never seen such a thing on a course. 

26 minutes ago, wakefield724 said:

So admittedly I'm not a great golfer and i make multiple mistakes per round. Yesterday i was playing my first round of 2022 at a cheap local course. I have a boarderline draw/hook and off the tee, i ended up less than 3 yards into the next hole's fairway. 

Had no idea this guy was behind the trees and i almost hit him. Ive been hit with balls before. It happens. If you're at an amatuer course, expect amatuer golf. 

Walking up dude blitzes from the tree line and throws my ball at me like he was Randy Johnson. I apologized and said i suck at golf and did not see him there. He continued to yell and make a scene which im used to as im the beta in my relationship so i just continued to apologize. 

Yeah you did the right thing. You don’t want to be a caveman. In fact, you should’ve offered to pay for his round and drinks afterwards. 

• Funny 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, wakefield724 said:

dude blitzes from the tree line and throws my ball at me like he was Randy Johnson.

Did his ball hit a bird? 

Seriously though. Something pretty similar happened to me once. I always wonder what is going on in this person's life that has them so angry that they behave this way? 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

1 hour ago, wakefield724 said:

Yeah, that would suck. Back in the day a guy like that would have been in danger of receiving an unexpected golf ball suppository. Now, I'm like you. Apologize profusely and walk away.

I'm always surprised when people get aggressive/violent on the golf course. Everyone has a bag full of steel shillelaghs.

If I am venturing into an area where I am not visible to other players hitting balls, I try to leave my push cart or carry bag somewhere in plain sight, to indicate to anyone who can see it that there is a person nearby.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

Yeah you did the right thing. You don’t want to be a caveman. In fact, you should’ve offered to pay for his round and drinks afterwards. 

Nope - that’s why you have a CCP and a subcompact at all times….

kidding…..

or am I?

…kidding 🧐

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

3 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I am impressed that you know of Randy Johnson's fast ball that took out a seagull mid way to the plate.

Well as you know, I'm very well educated. ... 🤣

• Funny 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I am impressed that you know of Randy Johnson's fast ball that took out a seagull mid way to the plate.

Everyone knows that if they were into baseball and a certain age.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

42 minutes ago, iacas said:

Everyone knows that if they were into baseball and a certain age.

I was going to say this, too.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

6 hours ago, wakefield724 said:

He continued to yell and make a scene which im used to as im the beta in my relationship so i just continued to apologize. 

Glad it didn't escalate to anything physical. I know you have a bag full of clubs if push came to shove but the thing that gives me pause these days is you never know if a nut like this fella is packing and itching. 

Edited by GolfLug
  • Informative 1

Vishal S.

I got smoked one day standing just off the green by a guy teeing off only30 yards away. He never yelled fore.. Yea it hurt like hell, but it wasn't worth getting into a confrontation over. Same course (Chandler Park, Detroit) I had two clowns with a knife try to rob me as I was walking to the green on the par 3 13th. I was pissed.  I broke the ulna (bloody compound fracture too) on the knife wielders arm with the sand wedge I had in my hand....... The only time I could see violence on a golf course as warranted.

Edited by Esox
typo

16 hours ago, wakefield724 said:

I'm the beta in my relationship so i just continued to apologize. 

Nothing to do with alpha-beta-sigma or whatever personalities they have these days. I'm sure Putin's a raging alpha. You ain't missing out on much. 

Vishal S.

@wakefield724,

Next time it happens, do this exact routine. That will calm them down,

• Funny 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

14 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

What do the rules of baseball say about this? Was it chalked by the umpire up as a "ball"? Would a player on base have been allowed to advance?🤣

Just kidding as rules of golf get discussed a lot here.

Anyone that's played golf for more than a minute should understand balls can be mishit very badly and come from anywhere. 

Getting fighting mad at someone is never particularly productive, but it is understandable in situations were the ball miss-striker should have known you were there and either didn't yell fore or shouldn't have taken the shot in the first place.

At the same time, you ought to have a heightened sense of danger if you are walking around in some trees near an adjacent fairway. I always take a real good look when I go tree, because I can't count on that guy down that other fairway knowing I'm there. 

1 hour ago, Carl3 said:

What do the rules of baseball say about this? Was it chalked by the umpire up as a "ball"? Would a player on base have been allowed to advance?🤣

Just kidding as rules of golf get discussed a lot here.

I'd be impressed if I knew the answer to that.  I was watching the game on TV but stepped away for a moment and missed it.  I think they called it a non-pitch.

I've had balls land less than a meter next to me, with the person that played looking at me and not shouting "fore". While of course I always ask about it, they usually apologize and say that they lost the ball mid-air (which can happen.. happened to me as well), but I never would have even thought of getting aggressive.  Well, once a guy responded with "well, you didn't get hit, so what's the problem?", which annoyed me a bit, and as karma would have it, he got hit by a ball (and the player hitting having shouted fore, but him just not reacting to it) a few holes later. He got quite aggressive on that - what a surprise, but it says more about that guys personality.

The only thing that does annoy me (and I don't get aggressive, but I do talk to people when I notice it), is when they start picking up balls that aren't theirs.. yes, there are people that can hit balls a long way, and just because there's nobody around the spot where it lies yet, doesn't mean it's not in play and doesn't have an owner. That's why I hate being the first on the tee-box when in a bigger flight on a compact course. 

cheers Chris

Note: This thread is 915 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!