IGNORED

Will Smith vs. Chris Rock

iacas
Note: This thread is 744 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Will Smith vs. Chris Rock  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who was "less wrong"?

• Will Smith
    • Chris Rock

Where was the security during all of this?  To me, it looked like Smith laughed at the joke, got up, bitch slapped Chris Rock and snickered as he returned to his seat.    It was in poor taste for Will Smith and tarnished the whole academy especially the next award.    It will be interesting to see how the academy sanctions him.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Smith has been around long enough to know that comedians cross that same line all the time.  He should have caught up with Rock at one of the after-parties, or gone on Twitter and chastised him, if he wanted to set matters straight.  Pretty weak to slap a guy who doesn't even expect it's coming.  Security guards should have removed Smith for assault, and they should have skipped his award... to be awarded later... maybe...

I'm sure I'm not the only one who noticed this but if it wasn't scrawny Chris Rock up there making jokes but instead it was someone like The Rock, or Jason Mamoa, Will Smith, no matter how angry his wife was, would have kept his ass firmly planted in his seat.

And speaking of his wife, I'm fairly sure this was all her fault. After THE JOKE, Will Smith was laughing his ass off. THEN he noticed how pissed she was. THAT was when he decided to take umbridge. Such a jerk.

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

• Administrator
6 hours ago, GolfLug said:

that his joke was completely below the belt (it absoutley was.. shame on CR if he knew it was a condition Jada had).

It's f***ing hair loss. It's not like she's disabled. Comedians make fun of everything, including some protected classes. It's f***ing comedy - they have free range to do whatever. If you're personally offended, so be it, but many people will laugh at it - including Will Smith himself.

It's alopecia. And she chooses to shave her head. Supposedly the amount of actual hair loss she's had is very, very small. She could wear wigs. Etc.

Guess we can't make fun of bald people again.

👩🏾‍🦲

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

Guess we can't make fun of bald people again.

Fire away! Lol. Word also has it that Rock didn’t even know about the alopecia. But you’re right, it’s hair loss. But to an entitled, self centered, spoiled and privileged Hollywood aristocrat that’s cause for the utmost sympathy.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

There is nuance. Baldness in men is different than baldness in women, which is different for Black women, which is also different for Black women with alopecia.

If you don't understand this, then be curious. Seek out sources and perspectives that will help you appreciate this.

Also, I think there's a difference between a comedy show and the Oscars. Is there some blending? Sure, but I still see a difference.

Chris Rock has NEVER been funny.

Colin P.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, colin007 said:

There is nuance. Baldness in men is different than baldness in women, which is different for Black women, which is also different for Black women with alopecia.

If you don't understand this, then be curious. Seek out sources and perspectives that will help you appreciate this.

I don't need to, and that's not racist, it's just me pointing out the obvious: comedians make fun of everything and everybody. They make fun of death. They make fun of all kinds of things.

If you don't think it's funny, don't laugh.

Also, I think there's a difference between a comedy show and the Oscars. Is there some blending? Sure, but I still see a difference.

The show was hosted by three comedians. It's almost always been hosted by comedians.

Obviously many people disagree.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

13 minutes ago, colin007 said:

Lots of people aren't funny.

Should we strike them?

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

3 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Lots of people aren't funny.

Should we strike them?

If a comedian isn't funny, we kinda of do. They get destroyed by the crowd at a comedy club. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

How did this become a race thing?

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

I’m pretty sure roasting the front row celebrities is a time honored tradition at the Academy Awards.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, iacas said:

It's f***ing hair loss. It's not like she's disabled.

👩🏾‍🦲

Yeah, you are preaching to the choir. I have zero sensitivity for my own baldness. Like negative. But I have never assumed others feel the same. It is harder than you think to own baldness for lot of people - men or women. Identity crisis, depression, kinda stuff. I'm going to recognize her pain as genuine. 

Anyway the slap is bullshit. Will S completely butchered the situation. 

Vishal S.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

I'm going to recognize her pain as genuine. 

Both things can be true.

8 hours ago, GolfLug said:

I have zero sensitivity for my own baldness.

Well if you’d stop aiming at the piano, the piano goddess may bequeath you some of your hair back! They’re very sensitive! I blame my friend who cuts my hair, I’ve accused her of trying to make sure I can never have a man bun.

The slap was totally uncalled for, but I don’t like when comedians go low for a cheap joke. CR should have know about alopecia and that she had it and that it was a very sensitive subject for women who have that condition. But WS should have talked with him in private after the show. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

But WS should have talked with him in private after the show. 

Or to the press after the show. Doesn't even have to be in private.

16 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Pretty weak to slap a guy who doesn't even expect it's coming. 

I guess all that training for the Ali movie didn't pay off.  Rock definitely took the slap better than Smith took the joke. 

16 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Security guards should have removed Smith for assault, and they should have skipped his award... to be awarded later... maybe...

If they would have asked for him to leave, it would have shown that they were being responsive to the smackdown. It would have been a better look and would have been a clear message to Smith that his behavior was unacceptable. But, it is Hollywood and an Alternate Reality for those privileged enough to be in a club where consequences don't often apply. 

Edited by TourSpoon
Edit quote

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I've mixed feelings over the episode but I'd say I mostly side with Smith. I think the action he took was a deliberate and measured response to an intolerable, unwarranted  slur against his spouse for something that she has absolutely no control over. I'm glad Smith held it to a slap - not a punch, and immediately walked away without escalating his response. Some comedians seem to believe that they can say what they want to whomever they want without any consequences. In my mind they're a lot like folk who use the anonymity of the web to say things they probably wouldn't say in person.

Chris Rock apologized and Will Smith apologized. Done deal.

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, Zippo said:

I'm glad Smith held it to a slap - not a punch, and immediately walked away without escalating his response. Some comedians seem to believe that they can say what they want to whomever they want without any consequences.

The response was not proportional at all. And you’re wrong that comedians don’t expect “consequences.” Likening it to Internet trolls is completely off the mark because Rock could see Jada right there in front of him.

And Smith continued by yelling and cursing from his seat. He didn’t “escalate” but he continued and it’s tough to escalate from a slap unless you really want to get in trouble.

She rolled her eyes. And Smith laughed initially. It was a bad joke.

None warrants a slap.

Note: This thread is 744 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!