IGNORED

Recap Your 2022 Golf Goals

iacas

• Administrator

With the year coming to a close, it's time for our yearly self-assessment thread. Here's how this will work... 

Quote your post from the 2022 Golf Goals topic right here in this topic, then write something below your quoted post to let everyone know how you did!

For deep dives into your goals, consider cross-posting (linking to your post here) in your Member Swing topic.

P.S. To quote your post from another topic, you can do one of two things:

1. Quote it, select the whole quote "box" (with the little + sign in the top left corner), copy it, and paste it into the reply box here.
  2. Click the "+ Multi" button on your post in that topic, then reload this topic, and quote it directly into a reply here by clicking the "Quote 1 Post" button/overlay that should appear.

The latter is the easier method, and the former won't work very well on tablets or smart phones.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas featured and pinned this topic
On 12/23/2021 at 11:49 PM, saevel25 said:

1. Get into golf shape. My body right now is just acting up like crazy. My left shoulder blade just wants to flare up. My lower back is on and off, mostly good. Still, I want to be in better golf shape. I will do this by sticking to a workout routine. 

2. Just continue to figure out a swing that helps me not have huge misses and solid contact. I will go about this by practicing smartly, and simply. Stay out of the weeds. 

Just keeping it simple for 2022. My putting is good. My shortgame will take a month to hone after winter, it was fine last year. 

1. I didn’t do this as much as I wanted. I am more so right now. Been weightlifting 2-3x a week and stretching. Still a work in progress. I would give myself a C grade for this. 

2. After a few GEARS lessons I think I’m on the right track. I didn’t practice as much as I liked to. I am going to pick it up a bit in the offseason. Tha last GEARS lesson was really good.  For how I practiced, I give it a C grade. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Erik lesson gave me two priority pieces I'm working on.   I need to keep my right arm straighter and make a better turn.   That is a ongoing process that I'll work on throughout the year.   I'm taking video occasionally and do mirror work to see improvement.  This really isn't quantifiable except thru better ball striking.

I hope to improve my putting.   This past year for 21 of the last 24 rounds I kept strokes gained putting compared to a scratch golfer.  I ended the year at 0.2 strokes gain putting but feel like I need to work on my distance control.   I really can't measure distance control but hope to increase my strokes gained putting to 0.5.

I've got other macro measurable goals like reducing blow up holes and hitting more target scores (Par + CH) but believe my priority pieces right now will help improve those goals.

My biggest goal is to take my short game that I've worked many hours on in the simulator this winter to the course.  Last year I was unsatisfied that I couldn't get up and down.   Many times I ended up with a double bogey after a nGIR. 

Much improvement needed but a game plan is in place. 

Injury and surgery limited my golf season.  I didn't play after July.    Needless to say, I didn't accomplish any of my targets except to enjoy the great summer weather with good pain meds.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I did 2021 goals, and didn't make any of them, as I was injured a month after setting them, and didn't play the rest of the year. 

I didn't set 2022 goals, but taking the 2021 goals....I did return to regular play, albeit very reduced rounds. I was still battling back issues. I installed an indoor simulator which I used a fair amount, which of reduced the amount of "real" rounds I played. But it did allow me to practice quite a bit more, and more effectively. For a while, as, alas, somewhere around the 100 days of consecutive practice, I had to stop again, as I was developing pretty bad tennis/golf elbow in both arms.

But I did spend time working this season with a pro, with Hackmotion, and with a simulator. My handicap went up slightly (so I didn't reach my second 2021 goal of lowering my index a couple of points off 9.7). However, the comparison isn't really valid, as the number I quoted in 2021 was coming out of a period when I was playing quite a bit, and I missed a half a season after that point. Anyway.......

Looking for something better in 2023 😑

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

On 12/29/2021 at 3:44 PM, Ty_Webb said:

Okay - here goes. 

1. Triple my handicap (currently +0.6, so tripling it would get me to +1.8) - +1.6 so I can say I got to +2 would be a good start

2. Qualify for at least one of the major Met area events (Ike, Met Am, Met Open)

3. Qualify for match play in at least one of the Long Island Amateur and the Richardson Memorial

4. Make the cut in at least one of the Ike, the Met Mid-Am, the LI Mid-Am and the Sarazen

5. Qualify for the LI Open and then make the cut

6. Win at least one round in the match play events in goal 3

7. Win all my matches in the HH

8. Break 70 at least once

9. Be fully committed to every shot I hit - don't hit it without being committed and confident that I have the right plan in place.

10. Serious stretch goal - get a WAGR ranking

All of these really involve playing well at the right times, so to that end - how I plan to do these:

- I'm doing an exercise program with a personal trainer and I got a Stack System for my birthday/christmas this year, so I'm going to use those and attempt to improve my speed

- I'm going to continue work with my coach, which has been fruitful in recent years, so I plan to continue that

- I got myself an aimpoint slope board, which I plan to use to train myself the different slopes in my feet, using that to improve my green reading skills. I think a few minutes a day should be doable and show results

- Continue to look at the hole at least for short putts - I started doing this towards the end of this season (last 3-4 rounds or so) and my short putting was much improved with it. My longer putting suffered somewhat though, so I need to practise this a little and see if I can get better with it and if not then abandon it

That should just about cover it. 

1. I doubled my handicap. Started at +0.6 and finished at +1.2. Not bad, but not quite to my goal

2. Failed miserably - didn't qualify for any of them

3. Again didn't manage this - I didn't really play well in many main tournaments this year

4. I did make the cut in the LI Mid-Am so succeeded at this one

5. Didn't qualify

6. Well, I didn't lose any...

7. Won one, lost one. The one I lost our opposition played extremely well and got up and down a couple of times from total death spots. It was rough weather and they were under par when we lost, so I'm not going to lose too much sleep over it.

8. I didn't break 70, but I did shoot 70. I had a 10 foot putt for a 69, but it didn't drop. That was -2 though. Pretty pleased with that.

9. I don't think I hit many shots this year I wasn't fully committed to. I'm going to say I succeeded with this one

10. This one remains a serious stretch goal

Okay, last year's goals were too easy. So, this year I'm going to push myself a little bit more. 

2022 GOALS:

1. Cut my handicap in half. 
    1. You may think that's impossible. Cutting your handicap in half in one season. To that I say: 
      1. To cut my handicap in half I'd need to get to 9.5.
      2. I've been in single digits at least 2 other times over the last 25 years. 
      3. My last five rounds this season (Didn't count as handicap rounds as they were too late in the year) were 84, 81, 82, 79, and an 84 in really tough conditions. If I translate that to a handicap it would be 12.8, 10, 10.9, 10.7, and 12.8. So, I think getting to 9.5 is an attainable goal. 
  2. Practice Smarter.
    1. I'm putting together a training plan to include 
      1. Committing to the 65/20/15 practice ratios. 
      2. Every practice session has to have a goal. 
      3. Use video at least every other full swing session. 
      4. Specific 5-minute slow-mo mirror work no less than 3 times per week. 
      5. Take an Aim-Point class.
  1. Cut my handicap in half. - I didn't quite get there. I made it from 19 to 14. I wanted to get to single digits.   
    1. To cut my handicap in half I'd need to get to 9.5. I made it to 14
  2. Practice Smarter.
    1. I'm putting together a training plan to include.
      1. Committing to the 65/20/15 practice ratios. I think I did a really good job of this. This off-season I may need to amend it just a bit, because wedge play and short putting has really hurt me this year. Not making that up either. It is what Shot Scope is telling me. I'm losing tons of strokes to short approach shots and putts 10 foot and closer.  
      2. Every practice session has to have a goal. I think I did a good job of this. 
      3. Use video at least every other full swing session. I did NOT do a good job of this. I got a lot of video. I would say more than most people get. But I want to include more video in my practice. 
      4. Specific 5-minute slow-mo mirror work no less than 3 times per week. I think I did a good job of this. The only exception was there were (2) extended periods of time this year where major family issues came up and took me out of golf practice for basically a month each time. 
      5. Take an Aim-Point class. I didn't even kinda do this. This will likely get pushed to the 2023 goals

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

2022: GOAL - Shoot my age (73). FAILED. Missed by 3.

2023: GOAL - Shoot my age (74 in May).

Note: I'm NOT gonna play from the senior tees. 

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

1. Full Swing Goals - Improve the hip turn, position at the top (I get slightly across the line), and swing more in balance. I will continue to check in with my pro, but will work on this by doing the pause drill (and others) which gets rid of the arm lift (backswing, pause for 3, downswing, hold finish for 3). Continue with the speed training to get up to a consistent 105 mph and 260 carry with driver. 

2. Equipment Goals - Look at each club as a tool that has a specific job and not be concerned about things having to be perfect to the detriment of my game. My fitter buddy has drilled this into my head that my equipment doesn't all have to make sense to me, it doesn't have to all match, it just has to perform. So what if I have 3 different graphite shaft models (Tour AD XC, Even Flow White, Hzdrus Black Smoke) and threw in my old SM4 TVD 54/M in with the SM7 gap and lobber. It has grooves, the same effective loft as the 54/10S, but provides the versatility needed for the around the green non-bunker shots. But the grips all match, that is where I draw the line. 🤣 

So we ran through the bag last week and I am gapped well and can hit my distances. I got rid of the set 4 iron (just wasn't getting enough out of it consistently) and put in the U500 4 iron, bent the 5 half strong, put in a hybrid 18* in place of the U500 3 iron for versatility. I feel like I am covered and if it gets windy, I can put the 3 iron back in. 

3. Scoring Goals - I just did the Trackman combine last week and scored a 2 handicap for all around ball striking. Looking at my stats, I came up with these goals: Increase one green per round to 50% and get up/down 50% which would put me at a solid 3. If I could actually average those stats, I could easily go even lower based on the handicap rules of best 8. I am currently a low 5. Finally, I want to complete the birdie challenge. Last year I had it done by August with the exception of the one hole that shall not be named. This year I hope to sleigh the beast (rated at the 5th easiest hole)!  

1. Full Swing Goals - I am working on this constantly and have been using video during practice to monitor. I am less across the line with better weight distribution and hips look good. I am not consistent 105 but can carry the driver 250 when I max out smash with my 102 ss. 

2. Equipment Goals - I have settled into my driver (draw setting), a penetrating 3 wood for teeing use (neutral), a 5 wood (neutral) that is money from the fairway, a driving iron 4 iron and everything is working out great. I shaved down the heel of my 58 SM8 wedge and added 2 strips of lead to increase the swing weight for more control with shorter bunker play. The SM7 54 has one strip of lead, again for shorter shot feel. I had my putter stroke analyzed and as a result, had the putter adjusted to take off loft and get the ball rolling quicker. 

3. I had my last 20 green average up to 50% earlier, but its at 44% at this time. Scrambling for the last few rounds is at 40% and bunkers are about the same (50% in last 5). Putting stats are much improved at 1 stroke less per 18 than last year. I had the birdie challenge done by July except for one par 4. The hole from last year that I didn't birdie was one of the first to fall this year and has seen multiple birdies so far. My handicap has ranged from 4.5 to 5.5 so I did not threaten a 3. I am trending in the right direction so if I can hit a few more stellar rounds in the next 6 weeks, maybe low 4s. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

On 1/24/2022 at 9:50 AM, mohearn said:

Reduce HCP to 5.x. Was there last year but knee surgery and other injury has me back to probably 10+ at best. 

Play local tournament stroke play seeding into match flights. Stretch goal qualify 1st flight or better. (will take score of ~76)

Track strokes gained more formally with Golfmetrics, Decade, or the like. Goal to beat scratch in driving, approach, putting and around the green, although probably not all on the same round.

Get more fit. Do 4 sessions/week strength training primarily with body weight resistance until season starts. Goal drop weight #20 by April. Add speed/power drills (med ball, sprints when weather clears). Continue rehab biceps/shoulder. Goal to regain previous speed.

Pass the USG Rules Certification test.

Play one caddied round. I've never had that experience. This will require finding a course that actually has a true caddie system, never actually played a course like that.

Oh, and nickels to dimes, hat tip to @Double Mocha Man. Thanks for that.

HCP at 7.6. Shot a one-under 69 from forward tees

Tournament planned to play was cancelled, but was low gross in two league tournaments. Won some money.

Tracking with Golfmetrics, haven't ever reached scratch yet on approach shots, but had rounds where have reached scratch for the other aspects. not all at once though.

Lost 35#,  am stronger for sure, although right arm still not great, so theres that. :-)

Prioritizing golfing over rules cert. (excuses...)

lWalked all but 3 rounds this year, pushcart. Maybe next year I'll get down to Ferry Point with a caddy, but it's like $150+ for non NYC resident, so outta my ballpark.

Nickels to dimes, my ballstriking hs really improved, I use contact tape often when practicing, and my strike is much better, most days. 

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2021 at 10:36 PM, WillieT said:

1.  Achieve an average of 9 GIR per round. This will require more time with full swing drills, understanding true carry distances on approaches, etc. 
2. Begin a “My Swing” thread. 
3. Walk at least one 9 hole (min) round per month (did it a couple times least year).  This is more for my foot health as well as personal health. 
4. Participate in the Birdie Challenge, and have at least half the holes at Birdie or better. Have achieved Par, now to step it up a notch. 
5. Play more golf with the wife and grandson.  

Well - let's go at it line by line: 

1. Achieve an "average" of 9 GIR per round.  Did not meet as I ended up just over 5 GIR (29%) average.  The latter part of working on full swing drills, etc. was a major part of the 5 Mins Daily drills.  

2. Begin a "My Swing" thread  - goal achieved!  Just did not repost as often as I should.  

3. Great idea - poor execution.  Walked several times during the year, mostly rode because of time constraints with son's schedule.  

4.  Participated - finished with 13 birdies on the "away composite" and 9 birdies on the "home course" - Goal achieved!

5. Play more golf with wife and grandson.  50% complete - grandson yes, wife no (she has back issues, so it was more her not being able to swing the club).

image.gif

image.gif

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

On 1/19/2022 at 8:10 PM, GolfLug said:

Rollover goal: Get a no-sixes round. Have been chasing this for a while.

New goal: GEARS visits with@iacas. I suspect I will come away with some solid homework after each visit. 

Stretch goal - get back to 10 HCP. 

No- sixes - Done..... one round. Finally. This was a big one for me as I think it is culmination of skill level, discipline and straight up mental and stamina. This will headline in my 2023 goals. 

GEARS visit - Done. I have posted it in my swing thread but this was huge in my breaking a barrier of play level. It will also feature in my 2023 goals if things work out with @iacasfor a visit.  

Stretch goals - Also done! Am sitting at 9.1 right now. To be fair, I started out with 16, a level remnant of my ankle injury two years ago so there were 3-4 shots that would have fallen off by me simply recovering fully, which I can say I have. But still the improvement is undeniable and I am not bragging at all, just very thankful for a good year.   

Vishal S.

This year 5 eagles 121 birds 259 pars 159 bogies 14 doubles in my assoc.   Need to cut down on doubles and bogies and I will be happy.  Also in the club champion round I shot a 69 -- I am 71 in Dec.

Edited by deadon500

On 12/29/2021 at 9:39 AM, DeadMan said:

1. Have fun whenever I play golf. 

I think I played about 25 rounds last year. That's less than I would like, and with 2 young kids, I have to be very flexible about when I can play. Golf is supposed to be fun, and if I'm not spending time with my family, I need to be doing something fun. This is the most important thing for me - enjoy it when I get the chance to play.

Did this really well. Some rounds were more fun than others, of course. But I can't think of a round where I didn't have fun. 

2. Get handicap into the 5s

This is a more concrete goal. But I want to continue to get better at golf. This is going to break down into a few sub-goals:

• Do 5 minutes of daily practice every day from January 1 until May 1. 
  • Work on short game and putting at least 50% of the time when I practice.

I think doing those things will help me get there. I need to spend a little more time on golf in the off season. And I need to be more focused on short game and putting when I practice, especially in-season.

Succeeded with this goal, and then exceeded it. My handicap is now 3.9, and I spent most of the summer as a 4. I was setting new handicap lows all summer, which was awesome.

As far as the sub-goals:

• I think I did 5 minutes of daily practice until April. Not 100% sure if I got into May, but I think I did. I'm too lazy to go back and check. This is definitely a good goal to keep and probably extend.
  • I did good on this as well. I did a lot of putting work throughout the summer, and I generally putted better than I have in the past. I didn't track it, so I'm not 100% sure I met the 50% goal for short game and putting, but I definitely came close. I still like this goal for next year, and I might need to shift it more to short game than putting. 

3. Have more rounds in the 70s than 80s.

This is a stretch goal. This would mean my handicap is down to the 3-4 range, if not lower. It's a tough goal, but possible. I tend to shoot right around 80 most rounds, probably skewing more towards 81-82 than 79. If I can shave off 1 or 2 strokes a round on average, that would get me into this range.  Of my last 20 rounds (on GHIN), 4 are in the 70s, and 9 are between 80 and 83. This is tough but doable.

I came really close to this goal, but did not quite get there. GHIN has my average score this year as 80.7. I played 24 times, and broke 80 10 times. I also had multiple rounds in the low 70s. There were times in the summer where I was meeting this goal. That is an improvement, and that's why I got my handicap to new lows. I like this goal for me, and I will try for it again.

• Thumbs Up 2

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• 1 month later...
On 1/19/2022 at 9:55 PM, dagolfer18 said:

A little late posting my goals this year, and not as many as the last two years, but here they are!

1. Reduce handicap to 8.0 (11.6 currently). I have definitely not forgotten about my quest to achieve a single digit handicap, but I have been stuck between 11 and 12 since October.

Ballstriking feels great right now, but short game is definitely costing strokes, as I note in goal #2. The first thing I will practice next time I get the chance to is short game. My brother and I like to pick spots around the practice green at our club and focus on getting them up-and-down, and we translate our final scores into percentages. 

2. Average putts down to 33.0 (34.9 currently). I’ve only played a few rounds with my new putter (a 34” Odyssey White Hot), but it has already seen both sides of the putting spectrum: truly abysmal and, as the putter name suggests, white-hot.

The first step toward this goal is being more consistent with putting (ten three-putts in my last 54 holes…yikes!) in terms of distance control. I’m struggling quite a bit with lag putting right now, so I want to focus on that during my practice sessions and find some good drills to work on. I’ll also work on staying sharp inside 5 feet by doing the clock drill, my go-to putting drill, because those short ones will make or break matches this year.

3. Fairways hit up to 65% (61% currently)I am actually a bit surprised that I’m at 61% right now. Looking back at my last five rounds, I’ve averaged 57% in fairways hit, so I’ve got a few rounds where FIR percentage is in the 70s. 

When I’m able to get to the course again, I’ll focus mainly on short game, but to improve my off-the-tee performance I’ll work on alignment. That’s always been a bit of a problem for me, so I’ll have my dad or my coach work with me on that.

Goal number four has three parts, in order.

4a. Make All Conference again this season (top 10 advanced last year). I barely squeaked into All Conference last year, and I feel that I didn’t play great except for one match. We are in a harder conference this year, but my game has also improved since then. I will likely need to average between 40 and 42 to make it, and I’ve realized that I need to start the season strong: low 40s or 30s. I’m looking to practice well for the next month until the first match so I have as much confidence as possible.

4b. Advance to regionals as an individual. This is going to be difficult, but this is my primary goal for the season. Between six and eight players will qualify (last year, it was six), excluding the ones who made it with their team. We don’t have near the team we have had the last few years (I will be playing #1 and my brother will most likely be #2), so my best shot is to make it on my own. 

I will likely need to average a stroke or two lower than what is necessary for All Conference, so I need to practice efficiently. I will be pinpointing where I need improvement most in my blog post tomorrow, and will start working on those things next week (weather looks pretty crappy apart from tomorrow, so will most likely not get to the course this weekend).

4c. Advance to states as an individual. This is more of a long-shot goal, and only if I make it to regionals. Only four players from the ~50 who participate in regionals will advance to the state competition, and last year, the cut line was 79 (+7). That means I will need to break 80 from at least 6500 yards.

I won’t say much more about this now, but I will wrap goal #4 up like this: as long as I achieve 4a and 4b I will consider that a win.

For these last two goals, there really is no “How am I going to achieve it?” portion except for just sign up.

5. Play in the club championship at Umstead Pines. I’ve been wanting to play in this for probably four years now, and I will finally get a chance to do so this year. It’s just 36 holes of strokeplay (Sat/Sun) in flights. What flight I play in (blue or white) will be determined by where my game stands the week before.

6. Play in at least three junior tournaments this summer, one of which has to be a multi day event. I didn’t really get to play in any tournaments last year because of work, but I’m looking forward to playing in a few this summer!

Well, there are my six (eight?) goals for 2022. A bit more lengthy post than I planned, but writing it out seems to help me pinpoint exactly what it is I need to work on. I’m planning on starting my blog again tomorrow, so I’m looking forward to that!

Alright, let’s see…

1. Reduce handicap to 8.0 (from 11.6). Ouch. This one stings a bit. I got down as low as 9.4 at the beginning of August but I didn’t practice or play near as much as I should have last semester and it ballooned right back up pretty much to where I started at the beginning of the year. It stands at 11.8 now.

2. Average putts down to 33.0 (from 34.9). Definitely an improvement, but not quite. I averaged 33.9 putts all year, and 33.5 in my last 20 rounds. I’m a lot more confident in the 3- to 5-foot range, which is what I believe I said I was struggling with.

3. Average fairways up to 65% (from 61%). I’m at 50% right now. Again, I went backward from where I started. Probably won’t include an FIR percentage in this year’s goals.

4a. Make All Conference again. I did make All Conference. I think I was on the outside looking in going into the conference tournament, but a low 80s round did the job.

4b. Make it to regionals as an individual. Proud of this one. Started the season 49-47 and had a lot of ground to make up, but some low 40s rounds and a 38 meant I was so far inside the cut line for regionals going into the conference tournament that I could shoot near 100 and still be okay. 

4c. Make it to states as an individual. Bit of a stretch goal here, and I don’t think I was anywhere close to the cut line at regionals. But, as I said in my goals last year, I’d consider goal 4 an overall success if I made it to regionals, which I did.

5. Play in Umstead’s club championship. My parents dropped our Umstead membership mid-summer to pay for tuition. And because that particular tournament was members only, my chances were zero. I’ll count this as neither a win nor a loss.

6. Play in at least three junior tournaments (including at least one multi day tournament). I played in exactly zero junior tournaments. Didn’t sign up for a single one. Not sure why, because I had a few in mind that I wanted to play in but I never signed up. Oh well.

So I guess you could say I had varying levels of success with each of my six goals for 2022. Still working on my goals for 2023, but I’ll have those posted hopefully this weekend.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

• 1 month later...

Goal 1: At least maintain handicap, and hopefully improve it

Right now I am at 10.7. I probably have 3-4 more rounds in 2021, and given the current state of my full swing, I don't see it going lower, but maybe something clicks over the next two weeks and I'll post a couple good scores.

Frankly, I am not unhappy to be playing at around 10. When I got back into golf 5 years ago, getting to 10 seemed utterly impossible, so I have already improved more than I ever expected to.

Looking at strokes gained data from 2021, compared to my target handicap of 5, I am positive in putting, slightly negative for short game, and lose strokes tee to green. Actually I lose strokes tee to green against my current handicap as well (neutral off tee, negative approach).

So considering strokes gained information, I need to work on full swing. Some of the things I want to do to help reach these goals:

• Improve my practice habits: I practice daily because I love golf, even if it is just holding a club and rehearsing in my living room, but if I am being honest with myself, I don't think I made the most of my often limited time in the last third of 2021. Sometimes due to my own enthusiasm to hit a ball, I have a hard time slowing down enough to effectively work on a change. I often struggle to stay focused on a priority piece because I get distracted with trial and error experimenting. I don't work enough on simple, perishable skills like having a good grip and setup to the ball. For most of 2021, I didn't use video often enough to assist in my practice to makes sure I am doing things the right way. So I plan to recommit to the 5S theory of practice, use video feedback as often as possible, slow down enough to make a change, maintain focus on priority piece, spend time checking on simple things like grip/setup.
  • Record swings to post in my swing thread at least monthly: I am a lifelong procrastinator. I'm the type of person who can take weeks to break down a small cardboard box and toss it in the recycling because why do today what can wait until tomorrow. It is literally a 30 second task to set up my LVP camera or iPhone to record swings, and maybe another 5 minutes to get the video uploaded to YouTube, but I somehow manage to never get around to it. I use my swing thread primarily as a spot to jot down notes from lessons, and various experiences and "a has" that occur to me, but I haven't leveraged the swing knowledge on this site to my advantage. I think having external feedback from the TST will help me identify issues and keep me on track, and maybe introduce me to useful drills/concepts. 
  • Continue taking monthly lessons: In person lessons have made the biggest difference in my golf game. I have gone from handicap in the mid-20s down to around 10, but I feel like recently more time in lesson is spent correcting regression in my swing instead of being able to build upon previous lessons. I attribute this my practice habits, which is why I listed that first in this goal.
  • Get on GEARS: After watching a lot of AMG content last year, I was interested in doing this locally before Erik posted the TST GEARS deal, but I was a bit hesitant because in my area, the cost is $450-500/hour, but then the golf gods blessed me and the TST offer popped up. This is probably the thing I am most excited about in 2022.
  • Look into getting a Mevo+: I really want a tool to visualize ball flight when I practice. I do the best I can with a net and Mevo, but it's not ideal. I almost never spend any time at the driving range, and even though I have a bunch of unused, free practice sessions at my lesson facility with GC4 launch monitors and swing catalyst cameras, the location is a bit inconvenient to get to during the time of day when I am free. So I observe my ball flight trends on the course, and then try to diagnose and correct hitting into a net, which I don't think is the best way to go about it. I've got a collection of valuable items prepped to sell to cover the cost and then some, but I'm a procrastinator, so things I planned to sell several years ago are still in a shelf in the garage.

Goal 2: Eagle a par-5

Didn't get this one last year so carrying over to 2022. Scoring an eagle on a par-5 for me represents the ultimate success in ball striking - good drive, and a good approach, usually with a long iron or hybrid/fairway wood.

That's it. There are a lot of other golf related things I want to do, but I won't call them goals; take a golf trip (looking at Bandon), get a new driver, set up a better practice area, etc.

Goal 1 - Improve or Maintain Index: Somehow managed to end this year only slightly worse than last year. First reported index in 2022 was 9.5 and I ended 2022 with a 9.7. But honestly I feel like I regressed this year. If I were to say what I think my index should be, I would say in the range of 11-13.

• Improve practice habits: Failed at this one. Unfortunately 2022 started with COVID sweeping through my household, which took months to mentally recover from (mostly due to a re-triggering of my wife's post-partum insomnia). Overall I felt like I got to a point where I was only practicing for the sake of being able to say I practiced, and I would tell myself that I was practicing well (conning myself), when I really wasn't.
  • Record swings, post in My Swing thread: Did this once, but never got any momentum going with it.
  • Continue monthly lessons: Did this, but unfortunately I felt like it was correcting regressions rather than moving forward.
  • Get on GEARS: The intent was there but between COVID, work, and other family stuff in 2022, it just didn't happen. Looking to make this happen in 2023.
  • Get Mevo+Got one, and also added the pro package. Great investment, but I need to make better use of it.

Goal 2 - Eagle a par-5: Didn't happen but I had some chances. I did eagle a par-4 though.

Not exactly golf goals: I did take a golf trip, if I count my day trip to Pasatiempo. Didn't get fitted for a driver, but it is something on my radar in 2023. I did improve my practice area setup, but didn't use it well.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• iacas unpinned and unfeatured this topic