IGNORED

Bruce Rearick's Putting Questions

iacas

• Administrator

Let's ask ourselves these questions (from here):

1. As you process the requirements of the putt, how do apply the conclusions to your choice of direction?  For example do you see the direction of the putt in a linear manner, or straight line to a point left or right of the hole? Or do you see the putt as a curved path from start to finish. Or do you see it as a combination of both.
  2. How do you create speed with the putter? Do you regulate the effort based on the strike,  or the length of the stroke, or do you change the rhythm of your stroke to increase or decrease the tempo. (BTW the latter is a very successful technique that has been coached out of many strategies)
  3. How do you process the distance the ball must travel? Do you do it numerically? Where the effort is calibrated to a number. Much like I would with a full swing club. Do you process it visually? Do I putt to a mental picture. Or do I look at the hole when I putt. 
  4. How do you transfer what the process to a feel? Mentally - A subconscious effort? Physically - Practice strokes?

My answers:

1. I'm more non-linear than linear, but… I can see things both ways. I can line up to a point, and understand my start line is essentially linear (even if I also know the putt can begin breaking immediately), but I also "see" the curve of the putt on a "roadway" to the hole, like the old AimPoint stripe on TV.
  2. Length of the stroke. The timing of my stroke is pretty similar.
  3. I putt to a mental picture, just relying on athleticism. I'm aware of roughly how long the putt is, but… don't use that info to process the distance.
  4. I don't really know what the last question means, but I'm tempted to say "both."

There's a LOT more to it than that, but… since he asked those questions, I'll ask y'all here.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1. I first see the curved path, and then determine the aim point, which I would think we all do to some extent. I suppose the AimPoint purest does less seeing of the curve, and rely more on the  AimPoint steps.

2. I used to vary the “effort,” but as several on site can attest, I failed miserably if the putt had any real length to it. Now it’s length of stroke. Since working with the Blast device and working on the putting pendulum (rhythm), my lags are much better with fewer three-putts. 

3. trying to remove as much of my feels from putting (since I was a terrible lag putter), as in #2, I’ve really tried to quantify the length of my putts to direct the length of my strokes. 

4. I also don’t get #4. I would guess we all do both. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

1. More non-linear than linear. I always putted better on more severe greens. With aim point, I have gotten use to seeing the target line as a straight line, but if I visualize how the putt will roll it is definitely non-linear. 

2. I think being able to accurately vary tempo and backstroke gives you a better chance to develop feel for distance. I could see someone who trained with a very slow tempo only, might struggle on super long putts because the stroke needs to be super longer. 

3.I do not putt to a number (distance). I try to visualize the putt, and have a good mental image of the putt before I hit the putt. There are times where I will try to putt to a spot before the hole, and hope the ball rolls out slowly. So, like a 2-3% long downhill putt. I might try to putt the ball 70% of the way there. The process is similar, where I will focus on the spot I want the ball to end, and putt to that. So, I imagine the hole is somewhere else. 

4. So, I think developing feel comes from having a good putting stroke, and then just hitting lots of putts from different distances. Then on the course, it is just letting the body take in all that information and translate it to the distance you want to hit the putt. It isn't like, "The putt is 25', the % slope is 2%, and the green speed is a STIMP 10.... So, I need to take the clubhead back 2-Ft, and this tempo."

It's more like, I've hit thousands of 25' putts, and I just know that the ball will travel close to that distance because my brain recognizes the visual look of a 25' putt. 

It takes conscious practice, but it also is subconscious. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

1. As you process the requirements of the putt, how do apply the conclusions to your choice of direction?  I see the curved path but look for an intermediate point within a few inches.
  2. How do you create speed with the putter? The length of the stroke affects the speed.
  3. How do you process the distance the ball must travel? This is something in which I need much work.   I visualize the putt's distance and have a feel for that distance.  It's not technical here, maybe it should be.  Because I play so many difference courses each year and the green speeds are so different.  I need longer time to warm up on the putting green.   I find I putt better on faster greens 
  4. How do you transfer what the process to a feel? I just do.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Okay let me start by saying that Shot Scope seems to think I'm not a very good putter from inside 10 feet. It also thinks I'm pretty good from outside of 10 feet all the way out to 30 feet. So, what ever that means. 

Let me also say that I just had a putting lesson and I'm working on my putting.

Now the questions:

1. As you process the requirements of the putt, how do apply the conclusions to your choice of direction?  I putt to a point on the ground that's usually not the hole. I try to stop the ball on my imaginary point. Then I let gravity do what ever it's going to do. 
  2. How do you create speed with the putter? The length of the stroke.
  3. How do you process the distance the ball must travel? I'm working through this right now. Up until this point the one thing I would do is have a "standard" putt. then I'd try to calibrate distances based off that standard putt. For example if on the practice green my "standard putt" rolled 18 feet, then I'd know about how hard to hit an 18 footer. I could calibrate distance off that "Standard putt" subject to if it's up hill or down hill etc. Incidentally I think that works great on longer putts, but perhaps not great on shorter ones. So, I'm kind of revamping my whole process right now. 
  4. How do you transfer what the process to a feel? I don't know what this exactly means, but I do visualize the putt and I never ever ever ever ever take a practice stroke. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

1 hour ago, iacas said:
  • As you process the requirements of the putt, how do apply the conclusions to your choice of direction?  For example do you see the direction of the putt in a linear manner, or straight line to a point left or right of the hole? Or do you see the putt as a curved path from start to finish. Or do you see it as a combination of both.
  • How do you create speed with the putter? Do you regulate the effort based on the strike,  or the length of the stroke, or do you change the rhythm of your stroke to increase or decrease the tempo. (BTW the latter is a very successful technique that has been coached out of many strategies)
  • How do you process the distance the ball must travel? Do you do it numerically? Where the effort is calibrated to a number. Much like I would with a full swing club. Do you process it visually? Do I putt to a mental picture. Or do I look at the hole when I putt. 
  • How do you transfer what the process to a feel? Mentally - A subconscious effort? Physically - Practice strokes?
  1. I visualize the path of the ball, so curved for curving putts, and straight for the straight ones.
  2. By varying the length of the stroke.
  3. I do this visually. For uphill putts, I pick a spot past the hole that if the putt were flat would be the adjusted distance, and vice versa for downhill putts.
  4. I have no idea what this last one is asking. I guess I just do it without really thinking about it, like if I was a QB trying to lead a WR with a pass, or making a through pass into space in soccer/hockey.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

4 hours ago, iacas said:
  1. As you process the requirements of the putt, how do apply the conclusions to your choice of direction?  For example do you see the direction of the putt in a linear manner, or straight line to a point left or right of the hole? Or do you see the putt as a curved path from start to finish. Or do you see it as a combination of both.
  2. How do you create speed with the putter? Do you regulate the effort based on the strike,  or the length of the stroke, or do you change the rhythm of your stroke to increase or decrease the tempo. (BTW the latter is a very successful technique that has been coached out of many strategies)
  3. How do you process the distance the ball must travel? Do you do it numerically? Where the effort is calibrated to a number. Much like I would with a full swing club. Do you process it visually? Do I putt to a mental picture. Or do I look at the hole when I putt. 
  4. How do you transfer what the process to a feel? Mentally - A subconscious effort? Physically - Practice strokes?

1. Combination. I use the foot method of Aimpoint to assess the amount of slope. I then "convert" that slope feel into a mental picture of the curved path of the putt. I use that curve to mentally project where a point of aim is, left or right of the hole, exactly the distance of the hole. I aim my putterface "straight" at that aiming point, using an intermediate point on the line of the putt, about a foot from the ball. 

2. Mostly by varying the length of the backstroke. On very long putts, I think I put a little more muscular effort into it, because I don't like swinging back too far. When I am putting poorly and am uncertain of how hard to hit the putt, I think sometimes I put more or less muscular effort into the stroke, to "compensate" for whatever feeling I might have (i.e., "oh, I don't think I made enough backswing..." etc.). The latter is not something I think is good, it's just recognizing what I do when I'm not putting well. 

3. I used to do this just 100% by feel and sort of subconsciously...meaning, I would line up the putt, stand over it, and just putt whatever length stroke came to me. This year, working on a simulator, I began calibrating my backswing length to the length of the putt given to me by the sim, adjusted for the green speed. I began doing this on the golf course ("a 20 footer needs about this much backswing") this year. 

4. If I understand correctly...I don't have a single feel. I just tick off a list of tasks in a process. It goes in order: 1. Visualize the path. 2. Choose an aim point. 3. Choose an intermediate aim point close to the ball. 4. Line up the putter head. 5. Make the backswing and hit it. I usually don't make practice swings.

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

11 hours ago, iacas said:
  • As you process the requirements of the putt, how do apply the conclusions to your choice of direction?  For example do you see the direction of the putt in a linear manner, or straight line to a point left or right of the hole? Or do you see the putt as a curved path from start to finish. Or do you see it as a combination of both.
  • How do you create speed with the putter? Do you regulate the effort based on the strike,  or the length of the stroke, or do you change the rhythm of your stroke to increase or decrease the tempo. (BTW the latter is a very successful technique that has been coached out of many strategies)
  • How do you process the distance the ball must travel? Do you do it numerically? Where the effort is calibrated to a number. Much like I would with a full swing club. Do you process it visually? Do I putt to a mental picture. Or do I look at the hole when I putt. 
  • How do you transfer what the process to a feel?
  1. AimPoint helps me find my start direction and I see the putt as a curve in most cases.
  2. Stroke length determines speed. I sometimes rehearse the length away from the ball when someone else is getting ready to putt, but I don’t rehearse around the ball.
  3. I do it visually. I see the path and distance is a moving image.
  4. I don’t think about transferring. I just execute.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1. As you process the requirements of the putt, how do apply the conclusions to your choice of direction?  Both - I use Aimpoint Exp so I pick a point left or right of the hole then visualize the path.
  2. How do you create speed with the putter?  I used to use the length of the stroke but have changed that this year and have gone more with changing the rhythm of the stroke.
  3. How do you process the distance the ball must travel?  I am a numbers guy, so I pace off most putts to get a feel and a number in my head. Also, for entering that number in Arccos later. I look at a spot either short or past the hole based on slope and speed. I draw that line back to the ball and go immediately before I lose the feel.
  4. How do you transfer what the process to a feel? Practice strokes using the same process as above.

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

14 hours ago, iacas said:

Let's ask ourselves these questions (from here😞

1. Requirement - Judge the break amount from the slope (I guess curve) to a point on either side of the hole or the apex between the ball and the hole.

BTW, serious question - is it really possible to see a breaking curve only as a straight line to a point left/right of the hole? I can understand picking an aim point and drive the ball 'straight' to it when executing but not at step 1.  

2. I 'pop' the ball a bit. I think I have a good physical stroke thankfully.  

3. All 'feel' like one would lob a ball to a catcher. No numerical calibration - just whatever the senses pick up visually. I think this is the weakest link in my putting process as my distance control is not best. On fast greens with some undulations (for example on most PH Ross courses), I am lost. 

4. A physical effort (practice stroke). Any deliberate mental involvement adds an unnecessary/confusing dimension. I am a nervy putter to begin with. 

Vishal S.

1 hour ago, GolfLug said:

BTW, serious question - is it really possible to see a breaking curve only as a straight line to a point left/right of the hole? I can understand picking an aim point and drive the ball 'straight' to it when executing but not at step 1.

Sometimes when I practice side hill putts on steeper grades, where the hole is on a steeper grade than where my ball is, I visualize the length of the putt on a straight line. The ball is going to fall toward the hole obviously, but you also have to factor in the length it will travel uphill  and how much speed it will carry as it breaks toward the hole. So I try aiming higher and visualize how much speed I need to get the break and speed right. Again, this is for putts where the slope varies considerably between where the ball is and the hole.

It’s tough to find these breaks on most practice greens, but they sure are out there on the course.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize for the typo / confusion in question 4. The intent is to ask how the information collected in question 3 is translated to making a stroke. Random practice strokes? Deliberate practice strokes? Subconscious reaction to a visual interpretation. When you do what I do for a living any information is important.

Edited by Bruce Rearick
Typo

• 3 weeks later...
  1. As you process the requirements of the putt, how do apply the conclusions to your choice of direction?  When I'm putting my best, I tent to see the putt as a curve towards the hole. I use my feet to determine the direction of the break, but need to work on calibrating how well I read the amount of slope. 
  2. How do you create speed with the putter? Varying the length of the stroke while trying to maintain the same tempo.
  3. How do you process the distance the ball must travel? I process the distance visually and sometimes putt looking at the hole.
  4. How do you transfer what the process to a feel? Usually take a couple of practice swings standing beside the ball while looking at the hole, move into position at the ball and go. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear 

On 12/12/2022 at 7:33 PM, iacas said:

Let's ask ourselves these questions (from here😞

1. More non-linear than linear. Even with AimPoint I tend to visualize my putt as a curved path and I’m trying to roll it on a point I have picked very early along it.

2. I adjust the length of the stroke. Longer putts feel like I’m swinging faster because I’m trying to keep the tempo the same. Or is it the rhythm? I always get the two mixed up.

3. I process it visually and mentally I guess. I’ll look at the distance I’m trying to hit and then adjust based on the speed of the greens and how I’m hitting putts (long or short) for the day. Like if the greens are slower or I have an uphill putt I’ll set my target behind the hole. The best way to explain it is that I have a stock 10’ weight and if that results in an 8’ putt, then I’ll start hitting 10 footers with a 12’ weight if that makes sense.

4. Mostly mental? I’ll make practice swings to feel the distance on longer putts but on shorter ones my routine does not involve practice swings.

I’m kind of a weird putter, though, as I’m sure @DaveP043 can attest to. I’m usually good to hole out at least one 25’+ putt in a round but don’t ask me to make a 5 footer.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Thank you all for your responses. The next step in the process is examine your weaknesses and ask yourself, “are there things in my process I can improve to help?”

Notice I didn’t say change. Understanding your preferences and allowing them to evolve and improve is much better than constantly searching for the best way.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/14/2023 at 3:13 PM, Bob M said:
  1. As you process the requirements of the putt, how do apply the conclusions to your choice of direction?  When I'm putting my best, I tent to see the putt as a curve towards the hole. I use my feet to determine the direction of the break, but need to work on calibrating how well I read the amount of slope. 
  2. How do you create speed with the putter? Varying the length of the stroke while trying to maintain the same tempo.
  3. How do you process the distance the ball must travel? I process the distance visually and sometimes putt looking at the hole.
  4. How do you transfer what the process to a feel? Usually take a couple of practice swings standing beside the ball while looking at the hole, move into position at the ball and go. 

In thinking about question 4, I realized that when I putt well, I move into position and go. Unfortunately, the approach of taking practice strokes parallel to the line then moving into position more often takes my attention off my visualization the path which the ball will follow and onto my swing mechanics at which point I freeze.

Accordingly, I've determined to make some changes to my pre-putt routine in the offseason to (hopefully) correct this tendency. 

• Clubs: Ping, Edison, Maltby, Callaway, SeeMore
  • Other: Maxfli Tour or Vice Pro; Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear