Jump to content
Laxplayer201092

WITB Photo Edition!

1,021 posts / 250048 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

On 4/12/2020 at 12:39 PM, tehuti said:

Is there a huge difference between the original HB’s and the “Soft” version? I had my eye on the HB #6 before I went with my Tommy Armour Impact #3. But if I can get a sweet deal on one I my still go for it.

I would suspect not....supposedly the "Soft" milled face are designed to give a putt a bit more speed for off center strikes.

If you have a large box retailer nearby (when they open back up).....try both out.

HB putters aren't popular...so you should be able to find a deal (new/used) on cyber space if you look and are patient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

I would suspect not....supposedly the "Soft" milled face are designed to give a putt a bit more speed for off center strikes.

If you have a large box retailer nearby (when they open back up).....try both out.

HB putters aren't popular...so you should be able to find a deal (new/used) on cyber space if you look and are patient.

I’d be fine with the original. Just curious if it was worth trying the Soft. Thx.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So I've made some rash decisions in the last couple of weeks. Something about not being able to play the game of golf has driven me bonkers, and basically I have built a whole new bag in the last 3 weeks, with the exception of driver, hybrido and putter. I found a set of SS 735.CM Titleists on craigslist about a month ago for 100 bucks with new grips on, and I only played one round with them. Since then, I managed to buy 2 wedges, another set of irons, and a 3W to replace my 4W and match shafts with my other long clubs.

Last week I was doing a deep dive on AP2s on ebay....really deep....like 10-15 pages deep with filters on. Managed to find a 4-PW set of 712 AP2s with brand new GP Tour Wrap 2Gs in white (so sexy) and almost no browning of the faces (the 8 iron is the only one that shows any). My mate, @topoftheline89, invited me to play one of the courses that is open near me today for a round (not one of the CoD courses that is free with my pass). We played Jamaica Run from the middle tees for the nice price of 20 bucks (we walked but I think the deal might have included a cart). I rushed home after work, took the 735.CMs (left 3i in), 4W and Nike forged wedges out of the bag, and slapped in the new to me stuff (AP2s, 3W and wedges in my sig as well). I wouldn't say that I scored well, but after almost a month with no golf I at least showed up and hit some good shots, particularly with the irons. I will be cleaning everything tomorrow after work (unless I play again) and posting pics then, so excitement to come!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

45 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

So I've made some rash decisions in the last couple of weeks. Something about not being able to play the game of golf has driven me bonkers, and basically I have built a whole new bag in the last 3 weeks, with the exception of driver, hybrido and putter. I found a set of SS 735.CM Titleists on craigslist about a month ago for 100 bucks with new grips on, and I only played one round with them. Since then, I managed to buy 2 wedges, another set of irons, and a 3W to replace my 4W and match shafts with my other long clubs.

Last week I was doing a deep dive on AP2s on ebay....really deep....like 10-15 pages deep with filters on. Managed to find a 4-PW set of 712 AP2s with brand new GP Tour Wrap 2Gs in white (so sexy) and almost no browning of the faces (the 8 iron is the only one that shows any). My mate, @topoftheline89, invited me to play one of the courses that is open near me today for a round (not one of the CoD courses that is free with my pass). We played Jamaica Run from the middle tees for the nice price of 20 bucks (we walked but I think the deal might have included a cart). I rushed home after work, took the 735.CMs (left 3i in), 4W and Nike forged wedges out of the bag, and slapped in the new to me stuff (AP2s, 3W and wedges in my sig as well). I wouldn't say that I scored well, but after almost a month with no golf I at least showed up and hit some good shots, particularly with the irons. I will be cleaning everything tomorrow after work (unless I play again) and posting pics then, so excitement to come!

I have a set of AP2 714s sitting in the basement.  I am working toward making those my gamers, but I'll be sticking with the AP1 712s until I can reliably hit those well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, bwdial said:

I have a set of AP2 714s sitting in the basement.  I am working toward making those my gamers, but I'll be sticking with the AP1 712s until I can reliably hit those well.

Nice! You should post those too for "What's Not in the Bag"? Would love to see them. I know that the AP2s don't exactly fit my handicap bracket, but I grew up hitting 60s blades, bought semi modern blades last year (2002-2003 Nike forged), and have always had a real issue with hitting larger sized irons. Something about the bulk of them puts me off and I don't hit them as well as I should. Figured the AP2 would be a somewhat of a compromise, being that they have at least some perimeter weighting. I liked the 735s when it came to size (very similar to AP2s when looking down on them), but figured some newer tech could help some. Thanks for the feedback. Pics coming tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As promised. Cleaned em up (not perfect but good enough for government work). Putter didn't come out of it's cover and has been posted before.

20200415_165019.thumb.jpg.4cf0de709b70efb153d61c437a31031d.jpg20200415_165158.thumb.jpg.553c6e6bce83f0e5ec90c21c1ea26207.jpg20200415_165054.thumb.jpg.9ed1b35b01c220d92227776aadb863fb.jpg20200415_165517.thumb.jpg.9e1626071f85ef53288f0155932c52ea.jpg20200415_165435.thumb.jpg.602faefcc07d7aa07cbce04e57b49c68.jpg20200415_165529.thumb.jpg.1e792cb7cbf2cf4f4137477b213d87ac.jpg20200415_170046.thumb.jpg.582070cfb752368313356d8377129b28.jpg20200415_165957.thumb.jpg.1b8e78c520995f8774b9dcbee0edaed2.jpg20200415_165943.thumb.jpg.07982c6a74016306d669abc6c4c010ac.jpg20200415_170238.thumb.jpg.7a5f424b137e4eb7fc55d80b7de1f756.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

20 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

Nice! You should post those too for "What's Not in the Bag"? Would love to see them. I know that the AP2s don't exactly fit my handicap bracket, but I grew up hitting 60s blades, bought semi modern blades last year (2002-2003 Nike forged), and have always had a real issue with hitting larger sized irons. Something about the bulk of them puts me off and I don't hit them as well as I should. Figured the AP2 would be a somewhat of a compromise, being that they have at least some perimeter weighting. I liked the 735s when it came to size (very similar to AP2s when looking down on them), but figured some newer tech could help some. Thanks for the feedback. Pics coming tomorrow.

Here you go.

IMG_3911.jpg

IMG_3910.jpg

IMG_3914.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, bwdial said:

Here you go.

Awesome! They look to be in great shape too. Love the 3 iron. I'm a sucker for hard to hit clubs if you can't tell. I may try to pick up a 3 iron for my set if I can find it for cheap. Thanks for sharing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Awesome! They look to be in great shape too. Love the 3 iron. I'm a sucker for hard to hit clubs if you can't tell. I may try to pick up a 3 iron for my set if I can find it for cheap. Thanks for sharing.

They are in really great shape.  The long irons look like they've barely even been hit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 4/12/2020 at 3:25 PM, Mr22putt said:

@onthehunt526 how are you liking the Cleveland Soft?.....I bought a mint HB 1 (not a Soft) for $55 Cdn and after cutting it down and changing the grip it was behaving itself somewhat in the last rd.....made some really good mid range par saves and a long birdie.....though I did miss five 3-4 footers too.

I really like the soft feel and the solid feel throughout the face....one of the best value milled face putters out there.

I had been playing my dad's 1970 Ping Anser for decades.

It’s nice actually having a putter that is long enough for me. I like the feel and it seems as if I have better success on off center hits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 4/14/2020 at 4:50 PM, tehuti said:

I’d be fine with the original. Just curious if it was worth trying the Soft. Thx.

HB 1...after 28 putts last week with 5 short misses....had 38 putts yesterday on the same course with five 3 jacks....WTF....I'm such a POSER....I S*CK....nuff said.

9 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

It’s nice actually having a putter that is long enough for me. I like the feel and it seems as if I have better success on off center hits.

Yes...off center hits feel more pure vs. my 1970 Ping Anser.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

HB 1...after 28 putts last week with 5 short misses....had 38 putts yesterday on the same course with five 3 jacks....WTF....I'm such a POSER....I S*CK....nuff said.

You may have to change your name to Mr40putt.  😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

You may have to change your name to Mr40putt.  😀

Ya...ya...ya...smart a**.

I'll change it to Mr39putt....4 is unlucky in Chinese.

Last week when I played golf with 3 Koreans....they kept saying I was a really good putter....I told them...my putting and chipping suck. I was a lovely 2/9 up/down green side scrambling yesterday...I'm such a POSER.

Played again with 3 older Koreans yesterday....the Koreans are out of control here...lol....hosel rockets....screamed one by my head standing 10 yards off to the side and then another time a guy screamed another off the cart. 3 times a guy would look and then pick up my ball in the fairway (I'd only be 5 yards from my ball waiting to hit...(5+ hr rd)  and twice another guy would mark my ball on the green thinking it's his ball.

This course does a really good job with physical distance signage and barking orders about it frequently from the pro shop...hilariously listening to a white guy screaming orders in Korean from the pro shop.

Though I do like playing golf with Korean women...especially the short skort, pantyhose knee high dressed Korean ladies....I use to play often with one dressed like that who was addicted to golf....she would even play in the rain in the winter...sadly she moved back to Korea....still play golf with another Korean lady every now and again.

Koreans are addicted to golf....even the women....you see a ton of Korean women playing golf here.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...