IGNORED

Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Note: This thread is 941 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

20 minutes ago, klineka said:

If all else stayed equal, I'd bet money that your handicap would get lower if you added an extra 10 or more yards to each of those distances. There's plenty of evidence out there that proves the closer you are to the hole after your tee shot, the closer on average your approach shot will be, and the lower your average score on that hole would be.

You may be right.  I play traditional loft clubs (my PW is 47 deg if that helps).  I've toyed with getting a new set but they are just juiced 1 club stronger.  For my game, short game improvement definitely will result in lower scores before I can capitalize on 10 additional yards per club.

Driver: Taylormade M3 (9o) with Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 Stiff-flex shaft.  3-wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB2 (15o) with Fujikura Regular-flex

3H: Tour Edge (18o) with R-flex 80g shaft.  4H: 22o  Taylormade Rbz Stage 2 with R-flex shaft.

Irons (5-PW): Titleist 804os with True Temper reg. flex shaft.  Wedges: 50o deg Titleist SM-7 12o bounce F grind, 56o (bent to 54o) Cleveland RTG sand wedge, Cleveland RTX-3 CB 58o wedge 9o bounce.

Putter: TaylorMade Ghost Monte Carlo w/Super Stroke 2.0 grip

It is kind of hard to really pin down my true averages but I have a good range of distances I will play each club depending on the shot, weather, and how I feel that day. For reference I may use my 7 iron for a 180 yard shot or a 210 yard shot depending on all sorts of conditions. Heck I even hit my PW the other day about 190 but it caught a serious tail wind so that would really skew my average. 

So here it goes:

Driver: 290-340 

3W: 260-300

2i: 240-280

3h: 230-260

4i: 230

5i: 210

6i: 200

7i: 190

8i: 175

9i: 165

PW: 130-160

GW: 100-140

56*: anything from 20 yards to 120 sometimes

If it's any use to anybody , then here goes:

Driver : rarely use but maybe 235

Mini driver : 220, much further in very dry conditions

5 wood : 200

3h : 195

7w : 175

5i/h : 165

6i : 152

7i : 140

8i : 130

9i : 120

pw : 95*

sw : 70*

I don't generally get enough distance through the bag, although I think that the mid irons are the biggest issue. I can hit my driver further if I wish but rarely swing full throttle. 

* backswing is shorter with these.

At this moment i'm hitting it softer in order to increase accuracy.
Carry Distances: 

Driver: 240
3 Hybrid: 205
4 Iron: 190
5I: 180
6I: 170
7I: 160
8I: 150
9I: 140
P: 130
W: 120
G: 110
S: 95
L: 85

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Driver: 245
3W: 225
Hybrid: 210
4h: 180
5h: 170
6I: 160
7I: 150
8I: 140
9I: 125
PW: 115
50: 100
54: 80
58: 70

Taylormade M4 10.5* (turned down to 8.5*)
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood
Ping G410 5 wood
Titleist F2 7 woods
Ping G graphite irons 5 - PW  Black Dot
Ping Gorged Glide Wedges - 50, 54, 58
Directed Force Reno 2.0 Putter
What an amazing game this is.

I actually don’t know but I’ll post what I think the distances are and what club I would use at the moment from those distances

Driver 250-300

3w not sure

5w 220-250

5 iron 195

6 iron 185

7 iron 175

8 iron 165

9 iron 155

PW 145

GW 100-135

56 deg 90 and in

These are what I average now but I’m convinced I could get up 10 to 20 yards more for my irons if I was striking perfectly. I think I’m not getting me weight forward enough and striking down enough. 

• iacas changed the title to Average Distances - How Far Do You Hit Each Club? (And Don't Lie!)

Clubs.thumb.jpg.2142c86dc1fda8fa85803541d44d2321.jpg

Here's my Arccos data. My handicap right now is actually under 9. But I generally hover around 10. 

BTW - I know there are more than 14 clubs here. I often adjust the mix of clubs in my bag. 

Like many others have said I don't hit full shots with sand wedge or lob wedge. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

On 10/24/2018 at 1:54 PM, MGN said:

You may be right.  I play traditional loft clubs (my PW is 47 deg if that helps).  I've toyed with getting a new set but they are just juiced 1 club stronger.  For my game, short game improvement definitely will result in lower scores before I can capitalize on 10 additional yards per club.

I highly doubt that. At the risk of starting another argument, you may want to check out this THREAD on that very topic. You will be amazed what a little distance and an increase in your long game efficiency will do for your short game. Yes, your game too, no you are not the unicorn that this does not pertain to. Just giving you some advice supported by A LOT of actual data. 

• Like 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Also, see this POST.  Gaining 20 yards dropped people's scores from 1.3-2.7 shots per round. 

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 

Distance is the number 1 variant

Driver: 250 (total)

3-hybrid: 215 (carry)

4-hybrid: don't know

5-iron: 180

6-iron: 167

7-iron: 155

8-iron: 140-145

9-iron: 130 ish

Wedge: 115

Other wedges: who knows? Don't hit full.

Putter: on the green.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Last time out I shot an 88 on a 6039 yard course.  So...on average...I hit each club 68.625 yards.  Pretty good putter number...not so great with the longer clubs.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

5 hours ago, Piz said:

Last time out I shot an 88 on a 6039 yard course.  So...on average...I hit each club 68.625 yards.  Pretty good putter number...not so great with the longer clubs.  

Good one. 

Never thought of it that way. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

On 10/29/2018 at 7:48 PM, NM Golf said:

Also, see this POST.  Gaining 20 yards dropped people's scores from 1.3-2.7 shots per round. 

20 yards is a pretty big gain though , If it's assumed that the extra distance isn't at the cost of accuracy/mishits. Just one off the world drive would cost 2 shots , and It would take a fair bit of improvement to my swing to get it 20 yds further without risking those shots. 

4 hours ago, Moxley said:

20 yards is a pretty big gain though , If it's assumed that the extra distance isn't at the cost of accuracy/mishits. Just one off the world drive would cost 2 shots , and It would take a fair bit of improvement to my swing to get it 20 yds further without risking those shots. 

Why is it that people always assume that a gain in distance is at the detriment of accuracy? Yes, 20 yards is a big gain, but depending on your swing it could be had with better mechanics and better ballstriking. Better ballstriking and better mechanics (ie better golf swing) will ultimately yield more distance AND better accuracy, the two are not mutually exclusive.

And even if you do lose a bit of accuracy with a big gain in distance your scores will most likely still go down anyway.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
2 hours ago, NM Golf said:

Why is it that people always assume that a gain in distance is at the detriment of accuracy? Yes, 20 yards is a big gain, but depending on your swing it could be had with better mechanics and better ballstriking.

I was going to post the same thing.

Hell, I've gotten people 20 yards in 15 minutes with BETTER accuracy.

Helping someone who is mis-hitting the ball, or helping someone turn a slice into a fade, often helps BOTH of these things out, and sometimes to the tune of 30-40 yards improvement.

People always seem to assume that if you gain yardage you're suddenly going to start missing every fairway. The longer hitters are often the more accurate hitters… because they're better golfers!

Yes, if you just "swing harder," you're probably going to be a bit more wild… but even then, those types of things are overstated.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

@iacas @NMGolf fair enough. It's likely to  be my main aim anyway over the winter (distance through the bag, not necessarily just on driver) , though I doubt I'll get 20 yards without doing something about Clubhead speed (It's been a while since I've been on trackman, but I think I'm around 90 for driver from memory - Zepp thinks higher, but I don't trust it) and I just anticipate it's going to be hard - I'll be delighted if it proves otherwise. 

On 10/30/2018 at 6:09 PM, Piz said:

Phsssh, you should know better than to include putts. 🤪

Your average distance was 111 yards assuming 34 putts. Good for the gap wedge and not so good for your driver. 😂

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• 5 weeks later...

Handicap of 6, carry distances for 20C temperature. Stock shot is a fade. If I close the face and hit a draw then probably expect to get a bit more carry say 4-5% or so. I never hit a draw with an iron unless I have to. 

I rarely hit a full shot with my SW and never with LW

Carry            Total

1W 225 yards     255

3W 207              235

2H 195               210

4i   178               196

5i   175               187

6i   165               174

7i   156               163

8i   141               147

9i   131               135

PW 118              122

52gw 105           110

56sw 85.            88

62lw 66.             67

Stevie T

Note: This thread is 941 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!