juanrjackson

Why Don't Pros Use Iron Covers?

222 posts / 58641 viewsLast Reply

11 hours ago, mz975d said:

Brushing my clubs after each shot is habitual anyways so no its not a pain

I generally knock off a clump of dirt, but usually don’t have time between shots.

Admittedly, my clubs look pretty dirty 😁

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

11 hours ago, Patch said:

Another is that iron covers are just another thing to keep track off. A waste of time. 

And people don't do a very good job at keeping track of them. At the course where I work people lose them constantly, we keep them in a big trash can in the cart barn for a couple weeks before we throw them in the dumpster. During the summer we throw away dozens of them.

9 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

To be fair I suppose those little covers help to improve the resale value of the irons.  Otherwise I see no reason to use them.

Resale value for golf clubs? Maybe I am in the minority here, but by the time I retire a set of irons they are beyond worthless. If you are the guy that trades and buys the newest and greatest each year I suppose this makes sense.

9 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

When you hit a bad iron shot and are angry you need to be able to violently shove your iron back into the bag while uttering a juicy swear word under your breath.  Messing with a head cover first would ruin all the fun.

^^^^Exactly!

21 hours ago, Lihu said:

I generally knock off a clump of dirt, but usually don’t have time between shots.

Admittedly, my clubs look pretty dirty 😁

This is actually really surprising to me, based on reading your posts over the last few years. 

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

This is actually really surprising to me, based on reading your posts over the last few years. 

That’s the great part about having a launch monitor now. I’ve learned that the dirt on the club and face doesn’t affect anything.

So, I’m not that OCD any more about my clubs. It’s just a hunk of steel. 😁

Now I can be OCD about launch results 😂🤪😂

40 minutes ago, Lihu said:

That’s the great part about having a launch monitor now. I’ve learned that the dirt on the club and face doesn’t affect anything.

I played golf yesterday in the mud.  Every drive either plugged or backed up.  The ball, in every case, was quite muddy on one side.  For fun and as an experiment I realigned the mud to come in direct contact with my clubface when hitting my approach shot.  It did not seem to make much of a difference.  I think the clubface blasts through the mud and in the first milliseconds of flight the now displaced mud flies off the ball.  Maybe backspin is affected but the greens were so wet and soft everything was stopping where it landed.

3 hours ago, Lihu said:

makes sense about the launch angle not being effected. i would think spin might be a bit lower with dirt filled grooves though?