IGNORED

Plastic or Wood Tees? Something Else?

Note: This thread is 1429 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

62 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of tees are you using?

• Bristle Tees: Brush T, X-Tee, Rip Tips...
    • Plastic/Composite: Zero Friction, Wedge Tee...
    • Wood
    • Other

Well, I don't know about that, but I don't have to worry about beaches! I've played in a couple of tournaments at some local country clubs in the past few years. You know, the kinds of courses where they take care of the members with boxes at the first and tenth tees full of tees and ball markers.

Let's just say that I took advantage! I really liked those tees, and they really last! Well, who knows? Maybe that says more about my swing speed than the sturdiness of the tees, but I break very few of them. 

Besides, where do wooden tees come from?

Edited by Buckeyebowman

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Always have played wood tees unless I find plastic ones that I like.

21 minutes ago, grubby98 said:

Just read article on Twitter, there is a course over seas that is banning plastic Ts as they are ending up ona beach and interfering with wildlife

It was on golf digest twitter feed 

Conservation is really important to me, and good on them for stepping up. My only question would be, if the course is that close to the beach, wouldn't the wood tees also get to the same place and cause similar problems?

7 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Besides, where do wooden tees come from?

I believe they are bamboo.

@iacas, shouldn't this topic be in the balls/accessories sub-forum?

Edited by Bonvivant
question
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

I use both. 4 Yards More (blue) for driver and wood for everything else. But I have to use natural color tees, somehow colored ones are distracting. Good thing my club has them for free. 

I practice with my driver almost every day and these tees can only last so many drives, so it is getting a little expensive having to buy them often.

Three years ago I bought a package of Zero Friction plastic tees.   This year I lost my first one.    I always use a small wooden (usually a found broken) tee for something other than the driver

Edited by dennyjones

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Wood.  Always.  But never white.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I use wood tee's, however i may switch to bamboo tee's. They are more expensive but if they are more sustainable then i suppose that offsets the higher price.

Very rarely use plastic unless i find one on the tee box.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Natural color wood tees. I went online and bought 5000 a couple of years ago. I think I still have 4000 left. Figure they'll last me a lifetime. Most of the older members of the club use plastic martini tees.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

In my bag, there’s about a 50/50 mix of both wooden and plastic tees. I don’t really care which I use.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

If I'm buying them, it's basic wood tees. My preference is actually white because it is easier for me to see where they land.

Nearly every round, plastic tees can be found on the tee boxes and I'll pick one up occasionally and use it unless it is a Martini tee. Just can't get past the look of those.

I prefer wood but I use plastic if I happen to grab one out of the bag.  Can’t say I’ve ever bought a tee, just use what I find.

Guy in our group uses the 4 more yards tees and sometimes there is an all out search on the tee looking for it.

I bought a box of 100 plastic tees in a pro shop about 2 years ago, and I think I still have about 96 of them left, so that's what I use, and will likely be using for quite awhile, as they seem to be practically indestructible.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Every time I see the title “Fallacy of Gold Tees” in the listing of threads, for a fleeting moment I think it should be in this thread. 🤣

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

5 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

I prefer wood but I use plastic if I happen to grab one out of the bag.  Can’t say I’ve ever bought a tee, just use what I find.

Guy in our group uses the 4 more yards tees and sometimes there is an all out search on the tee looking for it.

That's because that tee goes 4 more yards than where the group is looking for it...

I used to buy a bag of 1000 wood tees supposedly made out of Tennessee hardwoods but they broke like balsa wood.  I'd be through the 1000 before the end of the season.  Started using a handful of non-destructible plastic tees two seasons ago.  Now I'm feeling guilty.  Are wood tees (far more remnants left behind) any less dangerous for birds?

27 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Are wood tees (far more remnants left behind) any less dangerous for birds?

Here's a vote for the tees that kill off more of the hated Cobra Chicken, 

The gold standard:

image.png.2e7a91e9d686c89db421e802c574b4d7.png

They are very sturdy and can take a beating. The zero friction golf tees? Doesn't the club do the work before really touching the tee?  I was a physics major before switching to mechanical engineering and find the claim of more distance absurd. LOL

I've heard that the wooden tees don't do as much damage to the mower blades as the plastic.  I have no facts to back it up, just what I've heard.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Okay, here's the deal:  I'm going to continue using plastic tees but on the very rare occasion when I break one I will look for the lost parts and remove them from the course and the birds.  The 3 minute lost tee rule will be in effect. 

• Like 2

Note: This thread is 1429 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!