IGNORED

Why Is Standing Behind Someone When They Tee Off Bad Etiquette?

trackster
Note: This thread is 1321 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well, maybe some people's eyesight sucks, but if you are standing on my target line, behind the tees I will see you. That by itself is ok, long as you don't move. You move, I'll ask you to stand somewhere else. What I don't understand is why people need to stand there anyway. I didn't ask them to, and I don't need help tracking my ball thanks. Many seem to care what the pros do, so why dont you stand in front of me (on the side of the tee box), so if you DO move it isn't a distraction because the bill of my golf hat blocks you from my view?

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

• 4 years later...

Found this topic late, but I personally like someone behind me on driver shots to try to limit lost balls.

USGA Rules Experience site says....

"

Behind

You may not allow your partner to stand behind you while you are making a stroke. This restriction also applies to your caddie and your partner’s caddie.

(However, this restriction does not apply to anyone else playing with you or watching you play, though it is considered poor etiquette because it can be distracting.)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

The accepted spot is about a thirty to forty five degree angle behind and to the side. You can still watch the ball fine from there.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm becoming more and more aware of this now that I'm playing in more tournaments.  In casual rounds with my friends, nobody really gives a hoot where anybody stands but obviously, that changes when the rounds count and you're with strangers.

It seems that when its possible, it makes the most sense to stand behind the guys back, but I mostly just try and be conscious to avoid being directly on or close to his line extended and also be sure to not be moving.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

It seems that when its possible, it makes the most sense to stand behind the guys back, but I mostly just try and be conscious to avoid being directly on or close to his line extended and also be sure to not be moving.

What? No. Worst place ever short of directly downrange.

On his line or in front. Anywhere in that > 90 degree area please. 45 degrees is good.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

... when its possible, it makes the most sense to stand behind the guys back, 

Just now, iacas said:

What? No. Worst place ever short of directly downrange.

Oh crap, are you referring to the above line?  If so, how come nobody ever told me?!?!?!  I've been doing this forever. :8)

To me, their proximity to me is more of a problem than whether they are behind me or to the sides. Anything more than eight paces away won't bother me at all. Much inside of that and that's when I have a problem.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Golfingdad said:

Oh crap, are you referring to the above line?  If so, how come nobody ever told me?!?!?!  I've been doing this forever. :8)

I think I've seen that advice but I can't stand someone standing behind me. I always make them move. I don't even like the cart parked behind me if it's at all close.

If you're 20 yards away stand wherever you want. But on a tee box stand in the Good Citizen Triangle.

• Upvote 1

On 8/4/2011 at 3:32 AM, tx_basser said:

I think it is bad etiquette and I have asked lots of people to please move and do not stand behind me.

It's bad etiquette if you ask them not to and they keep doing it.  It's pretty neutral otherwise.

1 - It's bad etiquette if the hitter doesn't like it

2 - It's good etiquette if the hitter wants you to stand there and watch the ball

either way, if the hitter doesn't "politely" express a preference, then how should the others even know.  I just don't consider it as 'obvious' as things like being quiet and holding still.

On 8/4/2011 at 4:28 AM, sean_miller said:

It shouldn't piss me off, but it does, so I ask them to stand somewhere else.

But asking them to stand elsewhere is great.  Getting pissed off about before you even said anything......

• Upvote 1

Bill - 

Just reading the back and forth between @iacas and @Golfingdad is a good reminder, we each have different things that bug us.  The important thing is to let your playing partners (or opponents) know your preference before it starts to bug you.  

• Upvote 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

On 9/25/2011 at 2:01 PM, Stewie007 said:

Irrationality is becoming the norm here in the gold 'ole US of A. Thus, people seem to think that their beliefs and values should trump those of others and they do not have to respect that.

It's pretty simple, if you have a preference, tell me, nicely.  If you are polite to me, I'll do everything I can to return the favor.  It's just the kind way to be.  But speak up - if you don't, it's not on me.  I'll try to read the other player's signals, but why is it necessary to guess.  (I start each round asking about some things, "ready golf vs taking turns", certain preferences, etc.  I've only encountered one person that seemed to take joy in being perturbed about every little thing the other players were doing - I had to ride with him - he was a horrible partner and I had to listen to him complain about the other two on almost every shot - grow up)

my personal preference - any place that I'm worried I might hit you with the ball or the club (no matter how remotely) really disturbs my swing and nerves.  If you are in that zone, I'll ask nicely to step over or step back - HELL, and when you do move, I'll thank you for it (and mean it).  People don't do this on purpose.....I don't mind movement or talking either, but I appreciate that most do and stillness and quiet during any shot are my default.

• Upvote 2

Bill - 

Like @iacas, I don't like when people stand behind my back while I'm teeing off.  Something about not knowing where they are is worse than seeing them in my field of vision.  It doesn't bother me enough where I'd ever say something, though.

I usually hit my ball and walk off the actual tee box a bit to get out of the way...I can still watch ball flight from there if my playing partners need assistance.

- John

I pretty much have tunnel vision once I get into my pre-shot routine. As long as the other golfers are a safe distance from me, it matters little to me  where they stand. 

Now, I once read some where that the golfer's aim line extended both ways, forward and backwards. Why the line backwards is important, I have no idea.  However, since it's not polite to stand on a golfer's line, using this backwards/forwards info would make it non ethical to stand directly behind a golfer during their swing sequence. 

In the end, it's all up to the golfer making the swing, to be as comfortable as possible. What they want to be comfortable is their decision, and others should comply with those wishes. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

5 minutes ago, Patch said:

I pretty much have tunnel vision once I get into my pre-shot routine. As long as the other golfers are a safe distance from me, it matters little me where they stand. 

Now, I once read some where that the golfers aim line extended both ways, forward and backwards. Why the line backwards is important, I have no idea.  However, since it's not polite to stand on a golfer's line, using this backwards/forwards info would make it non ethical to stand directly behind a golfer during their swing sequence. 

I heard once that the biggest issue of standing in the reverse direction of their line is that when they make their backswing, you could just barely sneak into their field of vision, and that's worse then you being in their field of vision the whole time.

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

11 minutes ago, Patch said:

Now, I once read some where that the golfer's aim line extended both ways, forward and backwards. Why the line backwards is important, I have no idea.

All the 'polite or not' discussion aside.  I wonder if the 'etiquette' position is more along the line of not allowing someone on your shot line because it can be considered a way to violate training/feedback/help during a round.

In other words, I wonder if the actual reason it's even a topic is not about someone's pet peeves (or not) or personal comfort, but more along the lines that it fits in with some other rule of golf.

Bill - 

1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

I think if I ever got to play with you Drew, I would stand exactly at 90 degree and wear a really funny hat. And maybe dance like this! :banana:

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

4 minutes ago, jamo said:

I heard once that the biggest issue of standing in the reverse direction of their line is that when they make their backswing, you could just barely sneak into their field of vision, and that's worse then you being in their field of vision the whole time.

That makes sense.  A similar idea is true (for me) for sound.  If my buddies are chatting and I go to hit it's because I am not being bothered by their conversation.  The only thing that could be annoying is when one of them notices at the last second and they both stop immediately (or worse yet, one of them shushes the other)

Guy is mowing the lawn behind the previous green?  That's fine, as long as you don't turn off your mower as I'm starting my backswing.  That's really hard not to notice.

Hey, I just thought of a million dollar invention.  Make all golf course maintenance vehicles sound like chirping and singing birds.  We have no trouble tuning those guys out, am I right??? :-P

10 minutes ago, jamo said:

I agree. Even then I don't like when a person is in my peripheral vision. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 1321 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!