IGNORED

Annoying Golf Announcers

tjdean

On 7/13/2014 at 11:42 PM, J Cream said:

Chris Berman doesn't belong anywhere near a golf broadcasting booth, though.

Have you seen Berman play golf at Pebble Beach?  Requirements for an announcer should at least be an 18 handicap.  Or a year of being a caddie on the Korn Ferry Tour.  Though I've always liked his home run calls in baseball.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

Please Please Please remove Dan Hicks and Azinger from their duties. 
Dan Hicks is the most blasé host. He has absolutely nothing intelligent to add. All he does is rattle off statistics and projected standings for FedEx Cup. 
Azinger is the most boring person on your channel. I cannot believe this guy played on the tour. He has this monotone that puts one to sleep. He keeps on spouting the most obvious details and has no analytical skills at all.

My advice to you is find some intelligent golf hosts unless you want to lose viewership.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Shahid Bashir said:

Dan Hicks is the most blasé host. He has absolutely nothing intelligent to add. All he does is rattle off statistics and projected standings for FedEx Cup. 
Azinger is the most boring person on your channel. I cannot believe this guy played on the tour. He has this monotone that puts one to sleep. He keeps on spouting the most obvious details and has no analytical skills at all.

My advice to you is find some intelligent golf hosts unless you want to lose viewership.

Welcome to The Sand Trap! I think you will find most here in complete agreement with you.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There was some talk in a different topic about how golf as entertainment could evolve to attract viewers. Getting rid of some talking heads and the completely uninteresting stuff they talk about would be a start. Live golf is stuck some decades back. They have added some nice graphics and camera work, but there is potential for a lot more.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

46 minutes ago, Zeph said:

There was some talk in a different topic about how golf as entertainment could evolve to attract viewers. Getting rid of some talking heads and the completely uninteresting stuff they talk about would be a start. Live golf is stuck some decades back. They have added some nice graphics and camera work, but there is potential for a lot more.

I think they could do more with drones and get better camera angles. That would help.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Azinger just said regarding Rahm:

He hasn’t been making those 15’-20’ putts that he normally  builds around. He’s fine from 10’ in.’

John Rahm percentage with 15’-20’ putts is….14.89. Azinger just talks pure horse shit.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 3/13/2022 at 4:36 PM, Vinsk said:

Azinger just talks pure horse shit.

Is this the guy who keeps using the term "turning it over"? I have heard an announcer slip that in at least once every time I sit down to watch televised golf recently. Never really heard it much before.

"He turned it over too much", "It is turning over", ad nauseam.

I was playing with my father in law last December and I hooked one and he said "you turned it over" and I replied that I didn't and that actually my hips stalled causing my arms and hands to flip. He thought I was an idiot because all he hears on TV is "he turned it over", so now he is an expert.

• Funny 1

The problem with the current announcers is they are, for the most part, really "old school" in the fact they were brought up and played in an era where they really didn't know that much about ball flight laws, and they didn't have stats like strokes gained. They were brought up on mantras like "Drive for show and putt for dough" and "the short game is the most important part of golf", and they unfortunately haven't evolved much.

For the average person watching thats fine, but for anyone with any actual knowledge of the game it becomes a bombardment of poor analogies  and outright inaccuracies. I mean if one more of those idiots says, "He's laying up to a good yardage", I'm going to puke. 

The worst part of it is it just helps to continue to push those outdated ideals, and I have to continue to argue with people.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

On 3/12/2022 at 6:09 PM, Shahid Bashir said:

Why? Just because he is a poor announcer doesn't mean he couldn't have been really really good at golf. 

Announcing is a skill just like golf, just because you're good at one doesn't mean you'll be good at the other. I'd bet that the majority of current PGA tour players wouldn't be very good announcers either.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

They all get annoying after a while.  I prefer hearing the background sounds on the course.

Driver :cobra:  Fly-Z+ 

3W, 5W :bridgestone:  J33

4-PW :wilsonstaff: D9

52, 55, 60  :wilson: Harmonized

Putter :wilsonstaff: 8882

With respect to all Australians, they make horrible golf announcers.  I generally love their accent, but for golf, it's just grating to the point of wanting to stick a pencil in my eye.  Just saying.

I just discovered this group and joined mainly to join in on terrible golf announcers. 

I'm watching the March 2022 Valspar tournament and I have to hit the mute every time Dan Hicks chimes in with his tedious stats that he randomly spews. He adds ZERO to the broadcast. Most of the other announcers are fine by me. Love David Fehrety. Glad that Johnny "Sourpuss" Miller finally retired.

And, also in the complaint column...the droning sound of the blimp circling overhead. Really? Do we need that for the whole broadcast? It reminds me of why a lot of people stopped watching international soccer games...non-stop blowing of those plastic horns.

I'll do a positive upbeat post next time. :-)

• Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, CantBuyAPutt said:

And, also in the complaint column...the droning sound of the blimp circling overhead. Really? Do we need that for the whole broadcast?

I remember watching the Pebble Beach tournament earlier this year, I believe it was on Saturday, and throughout the telecast there was a constant, somewhat loud, motorized hum.  I assumed it was the blimp.  I was not going to watch it on Sunday if that annoying noise was still there, but it was gone.  Audio technicians need to earn their money and make sure the mics around the course are not picking up those sounds, because of the wind direction or whatever.  We think of golf as being mostly quiet with the occasional chirping of birds... or a curse-word barrage somewhere across the course.

Paul “The Bloviator” Azinger. No comment is too asinine. Some examples from today. 
“He really wants to make a good putt here.” 
“This tournament is going to come down to who wants it more.”

”He left that one short.”

Arghhhh! Makes me want to poke my ears out. So grateful for the mute option.

• Funny 1

9 hours ago, Zippo said:

Paul “The Bloviator” Azinger. No comment is too asinine. Some examples from today. 
“He really wants to make a good putt here.” 
“This tournament is going to come down to who wants it more.”

”He left that one short.”

Arghhhh! Makes me want to poke my ears out. So grateful for the mute option.

And, my favorite..."He's a really good ball-striker." Ah, as opposed to "Gee. He really produces some nice divots."

• 1 year later...

Watching the Pebble Beach Pro-Am. I'm only half-listening while I work on other stuff, but had to smile a little when I heard an announcer mention "the pull of the ocean" on a putt. :-$

• Funny 2

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4