IGNORED

To Golfers Who Score in the 70s - What's Your Story?

gr8golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl View Post

Right? Β Even if one of those 3 non-pars on missed GIRs is a double, that's 4 over. Β If you're striking the ball that well you'd hope that you're not 3-putting and converting at least a couple of 12 (!) chances at birdie, so 2 over...

That's why the maximum of 30 putts is pretty crucial. I found a website a while ago that laid out the stats for a scratch golfer, a 6 handicap, a 15 handicap, and so forth. I'll try finding it again for the sake of this thread. It's pretty cool information considering how such a small difference between 6 and scratch can result in so many strokes.

Any luck?

Christian

:tmade::titleist:Β  :leupold:Β  :aimpoint:Β :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There was a single-digit thread here a few years ago that had the post below. I copied it off and refer to it often.

-------

"Driving 230 yards straight, though, is all you need to be a single digit guy. Go through your course sometimes and see what being able to
hit 230 straight,
<=150 more less accurate (say 5-10%),
chip/lag putt everything to within 10%, and
sink 80% of your 5 footers
gets you."

-------

(Me again)

As far as scoring goes, if you

par all the par 5s,

par two of the par 3s, and

par half the par 4s,

that's 79. Doubles mean an extra par somewhere.

Im glad to share my story.

My name is Matt and I am 30 years old. I started playing when i was 8. By the time I was in high school i was consistently shooting in the upper 70's, once i graduated I was shooting par or under. I had offers to play college golf at Ohio State, Notre Dame, Otterbien, Virginia Tech ( Im from souther ohio). I didnt take these offers because I did not like the whole staying on campus, being away from everyone i knew, all that sort of thing, as i am not the most sociable person. However i continued to play all the time afterwards in loval tournaments, scrambles, 2-man best ball, etc.. In 2008 I was in the 2nd round of the U.S. Open Qualifier when i got hurt at work and had to miss. (eye injury) This happened and it took away from my game as my vision was altered in my left eye. I do continue to play as i have regained my vision back and am starting to get back to where i was. I now have 2 children and only get to play every other weekend which makes my chances of trying to pursue this game slim to none...now onto keeping your scores low..

'

My mentality is simeple

1. I try to birdie the par 3's, and the par 5's, also any par 4 under 415!

( reason for this is...only takes 1 shot on the par 3, and you can hit 1 bad shot on par 5's, still with a chance to birdie )

2. My "bad" shots really arent that bad. when i miss a green, or a fairway, its very rare im in trouble..

check your surrounding and the surrounding area of where your intended shot is headed..if your going to miss ask yourself this question. Β Am I better off missing left, right, short, or long? If the answer is long, make sure you got enough club to KNOW you will not be short...vise versa

3. focus on your short game, shots are gained on the putting surface. 10ft you would like to have a 70-75% make rate. and missing anything inside 3 ft is ALL mental. easiest shot in the game is a 3ft putt.. straight back and straight through.

And Finally

swing loose, and take the time through the week to get yourself out on the range, spend time hitting balls.

1 key is using the same club the entire bucket..if you pull 7 iron on the range, hit that 7 iron til your out of golf balls.

• 1 month later...

1 Keep drive in fairway.

2 Hit square second shot

3 Get up and down (Chip 200 balls a week to get good at this.)

4 Develop and practice a putting ritual. One thought: get the ball rolling.

Notice there's nothing up there about long distance or GIRs -- let alone makable birdie putts (although you are likely to get a few opportunities per a round if you succeed in #s 1 and 2). And you might even make one or two birdie putts if you have a good #4. But if I had to pick the most important, it's #3.

Minimum of 10 GIR and no more than 1 penalty shot. That means you have to have a consistent swing. No ifs ands or buts about it. You have to keep the ball in play and hit as many GIR. That means long game counts more than any good short game. Doesn't mean you don't need a good short game. You will need to get up and down at least 30-40% to shoot in the '70's even with minimum of 10 GIRs.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex:Β EZone BladesΒ (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron: Β 2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Minimum of 10 GIR and no more than 1 penalty shot.

That means you have to have a consistent swing. No ifs ands or buts about it. You have to keep the ball in play and hit as many GIR.

That means long game counts more than any good short game. Doesn't mean you don't need a good short game. You will need to get up and down at least 30-40% to shoot in the '70's even with minimum of 10 GIRs.

My sample size of two probably don't mean much.Β  But both times I broke 80 (78, 79), I had 6 & 7 GIRs, respectively.Β  I got up and down enough times to score in 70s.Β Β  I.e, a good short game can make up for the lost GIRs to score in 70s.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yukari

Minimum of 10 GIR and no more than 1 penalty shot.

That means you have to have a consistent swing. No ifs ands or buts about it. You have to keep the ball in play and hit as many GIR.

That means long game counts more than any good short game. Doesn't mean you don't need a good short game. You will need to get up and down at least 30-40% to shoot in the '70's even with minimum of 10 GIRs.

My sample size of two probably don't mean much.Β  But both times I broke 80 (78, 79), I had 6 & 7 GIRs, respectively.Β  I got up and down enough times to score in 70s.Β Β  I.e, a good short game can make up for the lost GIRs to score in 70s.

You need enough near GIR opportunities before that really does anything to make up for loss of GIR .

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Minimum of 10 GIR and no more than 1 penalty shot. That means you have to have a consistent swing. No ifs ands or buts about it. You have to keep the ball in play and hit as many GIR. That means long game counts more than any good short game. Doesn't mean you don't need a good short game. You will need to get up and down at least 30-40% to shoot in the '70's even with minimum of 10 GIRs.

I'll buy the only one penalty shot, but 10 GIR and 3 out of 8 up and downs is 77 on a par 72 the penalty would make 79 yes... I do not agree with the 10 GIR however you don't need 10 GIR to shoot in the 70s, hell Tour Pros only average 12 GIR, but of the 6 Greens they miss they are within 20 yds of the green in a safe spot, 5 times... My math is you'd need about 8 GIR and 4 to 5 nGIR to shoot in the 70s... I shoot in the 70s sometimes, 5 of my scores are in the 70s... Since my accident the most greens I've hit in a round is 10 GIR and shot 76...

What's in Shane's Bag?Β  Β  Β 

Ball: 2022 :callaway:Β Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8Β° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple DiamondΒ Β H: :callaway:Β Apex Pro 21 20Β°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway:Β Jaws Raw 50Β°, 54Β°, 60Β° UST Recoil 110Β Putter: :odyssey:Β Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I'll buy the only one penalty shot, but 10 GIR and 3 out of 8 up and downs is 77 on a par 72 the penalty would make 79 yes... I do not agree with the 10 GIR however you don't need 10 GIR to shoot in the 70s, hell Tour Pros only average 12 GIR, but of the 6 Greens they miss they are within 20 yds of the green in a safe spot, 5 times...

My math is you'd need about 8 GIR and 4 to 5 nGIR to shoot in the 70s... I shoot in the 70s sometimes, 5 of my scores are in the 70s... Since my accident the most greens I've hit in a round is 10 GIR and shot 76...

I agree with both of you that 10 GIR is probably not necessary. Β Nice, but not required to shoot in the 70s. Β I have 7 rounds recorded in game golf that are sub 80 and the scores along with the GIR from oldest to most recent are as follows:

74/11, 79/8, 79/7, 78/8, 78/8, 79/10, 78/7

And my two most recent rounds were 76 and 77, however I did not record them. Β IIRC, I had ... (counting now) ... 9 or 10 during the 76, and 6 in 15 holes during the 77 (took par + handicap for the last three holes, but the way I was playing, I'm sure I'd have gotten one or two more GIRs if I finished)

So, yeah. Have a decent short game where you get up and down a few times - and more importantly where you obey THE RULE to never leave yourself with another short game shot - and you avoid 3 putts fairly well, then combine in what was said above about avoiding penalty shots, and you can avoid the dreaded "others" on the scorecard, and you have a recipe for a round in the 70s.

I would also say a modest amount of talent is required to shoot in the 70s.

Julia

:callaway:Β Β :cobra:Β Β Β Β :seemore:Β Β :bushnell:Β  :clicgear:Β Β :adidas:Β Β :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree;Β 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5Β degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Hitters versus Players debate

What's in Shane's Bag?Β  Β  Β 

Ball: 2022 :callaway:Β Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8Β° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple DiamondΒ Β H: :callaway:Β Apex Pro 21 20Β°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway:Β Jaws Raw 50Β°, 54Β°, 60Β° UST Recoil 110Β Putter: :odyssey:Β Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I think that for me to shoot a good score, I must not have any double bogies. Β I just don't make enough birdies to overcome a big number. Β So I say in order to break 80, learn to hit the tee ball consistently well. Β Make yourself a consistent putter. Β Learn how to chip around the green( look at what Stricker does, very simple and repeatable). Β Quit making stupid choices(let me know how you accomplish this). Β I have become more consistent with scoring irons since I bought a mat and net. Β About five to ten minutes a few times a week hitting into the net. Β Working on nothing but tempo and swing mechanics. Β No reason to look up or not finish your swing when hitting into a net a few feet in front of you.

Just to clarify, hit the driver consistently for your available distance. Β It doesn't have to be in the fairway, but needs to put you in position for the next shot. Β If I don't hit the tee ball well, I won't score well.

As I get older I hit a lot of 3 woods or even hybrids off the tee. I almost always lay up on par 5's to avoid any possibility of a penalty stroke (I save the "going for the green in 2" for scrambles). If I miss the green I miss on the correct side so I'm not in the rough or a bunker. I could probably go lower if I was a more aggressive putter, but I really focus on hitting the 1st putt within 2 feet of the hole. I'd rather have tap ins all day long than risk 3 putting.

For me, i tend to make a lot of pars lately, very few birdies which is fine as long as i keep my bogies in check. Less stress in my swing lately and trying really hard to NOT 3 putt. all of my second putts are kick in length

For me, i tend to make a lot of pars lately, very few birdies which is fine as long as i keep my bogies in check. Less stress in my swing lately and trying really hard to NOT 3 putt. all of my second putts are kick in length

ThisΒ  ^^ (a playing philosophy that focuses on eliminating bogies is MUCH more important than getting birdies....tho both is nice)

avoiding the blowups is a big part of it - if I make a mistake, I take my medicine and don't try to 'hero' shot the recovery.Β  Avoiding 3 putts.

Better contact has helped as much as anything - that confidence has been a big deal.

Getting up and down when I miss GIR has been HUGE - see the chipping and pitching thread, changed my game

Bill -Β 

I think that for me to shoot a good score, I must not have any double bogies. Β I just don't make enough birdies to overcome a big number. Β So I say in order to break 80, learn to hit the tee ball consistently well. Β Make yourself a consistent putter. Β Learn how to chip around the green( look at what Stricker does, very simple and repeatable). Β Quit making stupid choices(let me know how you accomplish this). Β I have become more consistent with scoring irons since I bought a mat and net. Β About five to ten minutes a few times a week hitting into the net. Β Working on nothing but tempo and swing mechanics. Β No reason to look up or not finish your swing when hitting into a net a few feet in front of you.

Just to clarify, hit the driver consistently for your available distance. Β It doesn't have to be in the fairway, but needs to put you in position for the next shot. Β If I don't hit the tee ball well, I won't score well.

Yes a double bogey or 2. Seems to be a difference maker in a round of 79 or 80. Of course there are a lot of things that canΒ cause me toΒ card aΒ double bogey. 3 putting, going OB, Water hazard, well you get the picture. If I can avoid those 3 things, I will most likely break 80.

I had a pretty routine 78 on Saturday. Β I hit 7 fairways, and was within about 3 feet of 4 more, so on 11 of those 14 holes I had a decent chance at my second shot. Β I hit 11 greens in regulation. Β I had one lost ball, leading to one double-bogey. Β I had one up-and-down, and one chip-in for my only birdie. Β I had one 3-putt, from a pretty difficult spot on the green. Nothing was exceptional, but nothing was very bad either. Β So from a sample size of one round, I kept the ball in play, got most of my approach shots on or near the green, made minimal mistakes on and around the green, and shot in the 70's. Β Sounds simple. Β I have no idea why I don't do that every single time, but I don't.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist:Β 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 ballsΒ 
:ping:Β G5i putter, B60 version
Β :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy:,Β :true_linkswear:, and AshworthΒ shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.