Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mvmac

Greg Norman: Woods is 'intimidated' by McIlroy

51 posts in this topic

Greg Norman recently weighted in on the "handing of the baton" to Rory from Tiger.  Norman thinks Tiger's bromance with Rory is a sign of insecurity.  I disagree, I think Tiger feels like he has a lot in common with Rory, especially the part about being golf phenoms and under the spotlight of the media.  I don't think Tiger is handing out any batons at this point in his career.

Quote:
“You’ve got to beat the guy you’re taking over from to feel that you’re the top guy, and Rory’s starting to do that now,” Norman said, according to the report.
Woods and McIlroy have been particularly chummy on the course in recent weeks. (They also are paired in the first round of this week’s Tour Championship .) Some believe that it is the start of a good-natured rivalry between the two, one that can last another five or 10 years. Norman, however, views it differently.
“What I’m seeing is that Tiger’s really intimidated by Rory,” Norman said, according to the report. “When have you ever seen him intimidated by another player? Never.
“But I think he knows his time is up and that’s normal; these things tend to go in 15-year cycles. Jack (Nicklaus) took it from Arnold (Palmer). I took it from Jack, Tiger from me, and now it looks like Rory’s taking it from Tiger.”
That’s not to say Woods, 36, is ready to evolve into the role of elder statesman and rarely challenge for golf’s biggest titles, Norman said.
“It takes 10,000 hours of hard work to get to the top and stay there – that’s 10 years of hitting a lot of golf balls – and it takes its toll on the body,” Norman said, according to the report. “By the time you get to your mid-30s, the repetitive motion of hitting a golf ball leads to all kinds of issues, and if you look at Tiger, you can see that’s true. He’s got Achilles problems, knee problems; the signs are all there of a decay that’s inevitable.”
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Yeah, i don't think he's intimidated, maybe impressed. I also think he's up for whatever Rory throws at him.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm unabashedly in the "anyone but Tiger" camp, but I don't think Tiger Woods is intimidated by anyone!
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by colin007

Yeah, i don't think he's intimidated, maybe impressed. I also think he's up for whatever Rory throws at him.

I think Tiger appreciates Rory's talent and confidence. The fact Rory has lived up to the advanced billing unlike so many of the other "young guns". Rory has a quick wit, speaks in a concise manner and seems to respect the history and integrity of the game which seems to make them ideal kindred spirits.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Norman is just upset because Tiger won't "bromance" with him.  He has repeated whined about Tiger not calling him.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm more amused that Greg Norman thinks he "took it" from Jack (Nicklaus).  He was one of many excellent players in that era - Nick Faldo, Curtis Strange, Ben Crenshaw, Scott Simpson, Cory Pavin, Payne Stewart, etc. etc. - but never dominated the way Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods have.  He was certainly iconic during that period but with 2 majors he needs to be careful that he doesn't strain a shoulder patting himself on the back.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by boogielicious

I think Norman is just upset because Tiger won't "bromance" with him.  He has repeated whined about Tiger not calling him.

That was exactly my thoughts as soon as I saw the thread title.

Originally Posted by stealthduffer

I'm more amused that Greg Norman thinks he "took it" from Jack (Nicklaus).  He was one of many excellent players in that era - Nick Faldo, Curtis Strange, Ben Crenshaw, Scott Simpson, Cory Pavin, Payne Stewart, etc. etc. - but never dominated the way Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods have.  He was certainly iconic during that period but with 2 majors he needs to be careful that he doesn't strain a shoulder patting himself on the back.

No kidding. lol.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Norman continues to use Tiger to get his own name in the press.  His career was nothing close to Tiger's, he's not friends with Tiger, so for him to speculate on who intimidates Tiger is meaningless.  The fact he thinks he took over from Jack is funny in itself, talk about delusional.

I agree with SM, I think Tiger is impressed with and appreciates Rory's play and the way he conducts himself on and off the course.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by stealthduffer

I'm more amused that Greg Norman thinks he "took it" from Jack (Nicklaus).  He was one of many excellent players in that era - Nick Faldo, Curtis Strange, Ben Crenshaw, Scott Simpson, Cory Pavin, Payne Stewart, etc. etc. - but never dominated the way Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods have.  He was certainly iconic during that period but with 2 majors he needs to be careful that he doesn't strain a shoulder patting himself on the back.

Other than Faldo, Norman was a much more successful golfer than the rest. Only Strange won as many majors but he never threatened to win the British Open or at Augusta. Stewart of course had his career cut short so we'll never know.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Tiger welcomes the challenge. He plays well with Rors.

The challenge makes the game interesting for him. Notice how his game backed off, after they weren't paired together recently?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Norman hasn't gotten much press lately so lets jump on the coat tails of the big dogs. I think Rory has been playing splendid.....to use an english phrase but this one year of dominance. Not that I disbelieve his capabilities but not too long ago Martin Kaymer was the new "kick everyone's ass" guy that was taking the reigns. Let Rory string another year or two together and we'll talk.

I think Tiger likes Rory because Rory is a likeable guy and has stardom in common.They probably have fun. I really do not think men fear each other. We have too big of egos.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think one can safely say that Norman won't be on Tiger's Christmas Card List this winter ... or any winter.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm not exactly a Greg Norman fan, and I definitely don't agree with him on this issue. Regarding the whole taking over from Jack thing though, wasn't Norman #1 for 300+ weeks? I know he doesn't have the PGA tour wins Tiger or Jack had, or the Major wins, but doesn't the #1 run along with 90 professional wins (20 PGA tour, 14 Euro, lots of "other") put him in a category with a select number of individuals? I could understand the thinking I guess.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Dave H

I'm not exactly a Greg Norman fan, and I definitely don't agree with him on this issue. Regarding the whole taking over from Jack thing though, wasn't Norman #1 for 300+ weeks? I know he doesn't have the PGA tour wins Tiger or Jack had, or the Major wins, but doesn't the #1 run along with 90 professional wins (20 PGA tour, 14 Euro, lots of "other") put him in a category with a select number of individuals? I could understand the thinking I guess.

I'm not refuting Norman was a great player, but to say he took over from Nicklaus is like saying Nicklaus took over from Ben Hogan.

If there was a player who "took over" from Nicklaus, it was Tom Watson or Seve Ballesteros . . . then came Norman.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by stealthduffer

I'm more amused that Greg Norman thinks he "took it" from Jack (Nicklaus).  He was one of many excellent players in that era - Nick Faldo, Curtis Strange, Ben Crenshaw, Scott Simpson, Cory Pavin, Payne Stewart, etc. etc. - but never dominated the way Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods have.  He was certainly iconic during that period but with 2 majors he needs to be careful that he doesn't strain a shoulder patting himself on the back.

+1. Definitely agree with this sentiment. Mind you, Norman might know something about what intimidation body language might look like given his performance in his Masters implosion when in the company of Faldo.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always thought the guy who took over the Nicklaus was...Woods. Does GN have a book coming out?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2016 TST Partners

    GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Posts

    • It seems from the ratings that I have seen that, like me, there were a lot of people watching the final round of golf for both the women and the men at the Rio Olympics. The ratings for the men were in fact, second only to the Masters. That is truly fantastic to hear. Going into this Olympics, at least on the men's side, you might think that we were set for a complete disaster. All but a few of the high profile names dropped out for multiple reasons. Pika, safety, or the real reason - just plain tired. I suspect all that didn't play sort of wished they did. They will come out and say that they didn't miss it, because they don't want to look stupid, but the reality is they probably have a pit in their stomach for missing the first Olympics in over 100 years. I am talking about Jason Day, Jordan Spieth, and yes I suspect even Rory McIlroy.
      (...)
      Read the rest of Reliving the Olympic Success (702 words) by mchepp for The Sand Trap, © 2016. | Permalink View and Comment on the Full Article
    • It seems from the ratings that I have seen that, like me, there were a lot of people watching the final round of golf for both the women and the men at the Rio Olympics. The ratings for the men were in fact, second only to the Masters. That is truly fantastic to hear. Going into this Olympics, at least on the men's side, you might think that we were set for a complete disaster. All but a few of the high profile names dropped out for multiple reasons. Pika, safety, or the real reason - just plain tired. I suspect all that didn't play sort of wished they did. They will come out and say that they didn't miss it, because they don't want to look stupid, but the reality is they probably have a pit in their stomach for missing the first Olympics in over 100 years. I am talking about Jason Day, Jordan Spieth, and yes I suspect even Rory McIlroy.
      (...)
      Read the rest of Reliving the Olympic Success (702 words) by mchepp for The Sand Trap, © 2016. | Permalink View and Comment on the Full Article
    • Let us know how it goes when you get them.
    • According to GAME GOLF, I have 68% GIR and 13% birdies. 13%/68% (I almost never chip in for birdie) = 19.12%.
    • Damn dude, 4.1?  Wow.  I think you and I were about even when I joined here a couple years ago, 6-something.  You're going in the right direction, I'm headed the other way.  I'm actually at 9.4 at the minute but haven't updated here cuz it's painful and I consider it temporary .  Hand pain gone, actually went to the range this week, 1st time in a year.  So, I plan to throw down a 78 or so and be back under 9 by end of day, fingers crossed.  Keep rolling. No idea what my birdie conversion rate is, I'd guess pretty respectable cuz my putting never left me.
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Images

  • Today's Birthdays

    No users celebrating today
  • Blog Entries