IGNORED

"If golf were invented today, it would be a nine-hole game."

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The private small town country club I started on was 9 holes and still is. Fortunately, I live in a college town and the college has a nice 18 hole course that offers 9 anytime, cart optional. Not super cheap but not outrageous either-its like $32 for nine or $45 for 18 with cart, less without cart. Nine is what I play most often.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Courses would probably prefer you pay for 18 and give up after 9 because you got tired of waiting for the foursomes in front of you.  I have no issue with 9, we alternate front 9 and back 9 when time doesn't allow a full round.  18>9>0

Joe Paradiso

Before the kid I would weekly play a local course where they would let you play the back 9 and give you breakfast for $15. It was the best deal in town. I think a 9 hole round is a great idea and I wish more courses did it.

Michael

Originally Posted by meenman

Part of the problem around here is the *perceived* value of playing 9. A lot of guy with their own carts will pull in after work and play 3,4,9 holes.

The average cheapskate (around here) does not want to pay more than half the 18 hole price.

At our club the cart fee is $21 for 18 and $12.50 for 9. The only time any of us plays 9 is with the wife and it is because it was her idea to go out and play 9 - we'll always take 9 over not playing.

I think this is the biggest issue.  If the cost of 18 holes with a cart is $30 where I play, often the price of 9 holes is like $21.  You aren't getting half off for playing half the course.  And far to often I see the cart fee at courses I play be priced at $9 for 9 and like $12 for 18.  That doesn't make much sense to me as I am sure it doesn't to a lot of other golfers.

As far as my wish, I think the perfect course would be 14 holes.  Front 7/Back 7.  Cuts out 4 holes and close to an hour of golf.

Jeff

I play 9 all the time.  I can just get out and play or practice on the course.   But having a membership makes it much easier to do.  The wife and I really enjoy a quick 9 after work too.  I do find that I play the front probably 75% of the time so now if I see #9 is open I start on 10 to get more back 9 in.

It would be interesting to see a course totally change up the game on a weekend where the mid morning tee times are usually the most popular and actually book only 9 holes till 11am.....you would having matching tee times for both the front and back for just 9.  Then at 11 it would be 18 hole tee times beginning on 1 and the 9 hole times would end on the back at noon as the 18 hole guys started to catch up.

It makes you wonder how popular it would be so a family guy can get a quick round in with this buddies on the weekend and still be home by noon for the rest of the family time.  Instead of golf being an all day adventure it might entice more play.  Even if it's just one Saturday a month it might promote the game differently.

I think a good course would be 24 holes going in "wheel n' spoke" kind of layout.  You could play 6,12 or 18, but not really 24.  Keep everything moving.  9 holes is not enough time for me to have beers or smokes.

My CC had a Happy Hour 9 hole tournament every Friday that started in the clubhouse with one drink @ 6pm, then golf.  $10 buy in, $10 for the club, cash money on both.  Worked well that way, and only time I liked playing 9 holes.

Agree that 9 should be 1/2 of 18 amywhere.

• Administrator

I have an idea: how about we try to play 18 in the time it takes most people to play 9?!?!

• Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

I have an idea: how about we try to play 18 in the time it takes most people to play 9?!?!

This is a serious topic Erik, no need to be silly

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I realized 2 things from an Internet golf forum. 1) Everyone hits their driver 300 yards, even if their swing speed is 98mph. 2) Everyone plays four ball rounds in under 3.5 hours. On topic, I personally don't like playing 9 holes. I honestly feel like 18 holes is a "complete game/match". There are some options for late afternoon 9 hole rounds in this area, but I'd always rather play 18 holes, even if it drags on for 5 hours.

My home course (private) has 18 great holes, with lights on 9.  I play 9 holes almost every day after work.  It's rarely crowded.  The last tee time is 7:00 PM and the course is almost deserted.  I've played 9 holes in a twosome in 1 hour 15 minutes.

Courses could put lights on 9 holes and extend the day to maybe aleviate some of the traffic that causes 5-6 hour rounds.

Occam's razor

I play 9 holes almost every week and I only play 18 holes a few times per year.  I love courses that only offer 9 holes - ie - to play 18 you have to play the course twice.  This keeps the "serious golfers" away and I can usually get 9 done in 1.5 hours.

I often go out for 9 holes after work, or even on a weekend but will play a full round whenever I can.

Last time out my 18 hole round only took 2 and a half hours, and that was with 96 shots and a few lost balls and walking.

My league, and most that I know of in the area, are nine hole leagues on 18 hole courses.  I don't know of any courses in my area where you couldn't just play 9.  When I play with my wife, we only play 9.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Ding ding ding......we have a winner!

It does NOT need to take 4 hours to play a round of golf.  It needn't take 3 hours.......and handicap has little to do with it.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I really don't like playing less than 18 because it feels incomplete.  I'll show up to the course and squeeze in what I can, but I will go to great lengths to squeeze in 18 instead of 9 when possible.

But its probably true that if the game were invented today it would be shorter than 18 holes.  Something like 12 would be my guess.  Isn't that one of the things Jack is pushing?  12 hole rounds?

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Playing nine holes is like starting to have sex, then stopping halfway.

WHO DOES THAT!!!!??!?!?

• Upvote 1

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

After reading a bunch of these comments, I'm not sure everyone is loving ths as an initiative.  It seems around half don't even like 9-hole golf.  Another portion does not have 9-hole golf available to them.  Another portion isn't willing to pay 75% of the cost of an 18 hole round to play 50% of the golf.  And another portion is already playing plenty of 9-hole golf.  I think it is more available to folks who have a membership.

iacas's suggestion of faster golf is great - but from a practical standpoint, you can only play at your desired pace when there is no one in front of you.  Which is almost never.  The tee it forward thing might have helped pace - but I find so many that are unwilling to do it.  Whenever I am paired with people I don't know - they almost always play the blues - even if they are terrible.  I don't know how to get a packed golf course to get people through in 3.5 hours.  Sounds tough.

Maybe this initiative should be rolled out to the course management instead of the masses.  If this was intended for the actual golfers, and if what I've read in this thread is representative of golf as a whole, then they are essentially trying to bring people to the game by saying - play at crappy times and pay almost the cost of 18 to play 9.  You'll love it!

Originally Posted by Kieran123

Playing nine holes is like starting to have sex, then stopping halfway.

WHO DOES THAT!!!!??!?!?

Please don't ask my wife.

• Upvote 1

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Note: This thread is 4011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!