IGNORED

How long does your Irons stay good and how often should they be replaced when your are not a good player, yet.

golfdesperado
Note: This thread is 3882 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How long does your Irons stay good and how often should they be replaced when your are not a good player, yet.

As a beginning golf desperado i think i am abusing the golf irons, woods, hybrids, driver probably a lot by hitting it into the ground at the wrong angles in front off the ball (Where else as a beginner). This surely creates a lot of forces on the clubs it is not intended for to withstand. Are the clubs being affected by it and are you as a beginner suddenly having another extra "handicap" playing with worn out clubs making it even more difficult hitting anything decent?

www.GolfDesperado.com - From desperate to scratch. I am still desperate :)

you could always take them in for a loft/lie angle check.  But not something I would worry about.  Like Trevino said "Its the Indian, not the arrows" (No offence to our Native American friends).

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As a beginning golf desperado i think i am abusing the golf irons, woods, hybrids, driver probably a lot by hitting it into the ground at the wrong angles in front off the ball (Where else as a beginner). This surely creates a lot of forces on the clubs it is not intended for to withstand. Are the clubs being affected by it and are you as a beginner suddenly having another extra "handicap" playing with worn out clubs making it even more difficult hitting anything decent?

Don't worry about it. Bash those suckers into the ground as hard as you can, that's what they're made for.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

If a golf club's not built to be smashed into the Earth, then it's not built for much.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I picked up my first set of golf clubs when I was 15 - a set of used Tommy Armour 845s irons. They had about 5 years of wear on them when I purchased them, and I proceeded to use them for another 13 years until finally purchasing a new set a few years ago. That's about 2 decades of play (granted my play was infrequent during my college years) without problems or issues.

I played yesterday evening with a set of irons I have owned since 1979. Clean them often and change grips as needed and they will last a long time. As others have mentioned, wedges sometimes need to be replaced or reconditioned, although I am using a 30 year-old wedge as well. The modern metal woods and hybrids are also very durable as well.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I also played yesterday with an old set of clubs.  I was at my second residence and didn't have my clubs and a buddy ask me to play.  so I found a Ping Rapture driver, a Cobra 5 wood and a 5-PW set of Nike CPR irons and a Nike SW (not part of the CPR set) in the garage and out I went for the round.  Played great and now wonder why I ever bought new clubs or if I ever will again.  I believe the newest club in the eclectic set I put together if 15 years old but they all still worked.  Oh, forgot I used an old bulls eye putter I had.  I did sort if miss not having a hybrid as could have used something between the 5 iron and the 5 wood.

Butch

I don't think that a club really gets worn enough such that a high handicapper like us would feel any difference. Even wedges, which pros switch out very often, are not likely to see that much difference. I have many sets of older clubs, and they all hit about the same. The trajectories are roughly the same. If you can really compress the ball, I suppose it might make some difference. However, since I only carry a 7 iron about 145 yards the groove sharpness and depth don't make that much difference in spinning the ball back on the green. I do have a virtually brand new set of Ping I20s, but have not tried them on the course yet. Trying to wait till I hit the sweet spot more tightly so that I can make nicer looking wear marks on the club faces. :-P

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

As long as they are not damaged, you can use them for decades. Most will buy new irons because they want new clubs, not because the old ones are broken.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I have only seen a few clubs that actually have been worn out. It's usually the pet wedge of a low cap or pro that has consistently hit the ball in the same spot of the club face for years and the grooves are worn down. Remarkably, the old one iron that Hogan used at Merion in 1950 has a similar wear pattern, but the playability of the iron is fine as he demonstrated that day. This picture just amazes me.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

The only thing you'll wear out is the grooves. I think Johnny Miller talked about wearing out the grooves on the sweat spot, but how many golf balls did he hit over and over again. So i think your fine.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I just exchanged my 17 year old bronze head irons for a new set...I sold the old irons to someone who really wanted them a lot. They looked good and still have plenty of life left in them.

In my  bag:

Driver, Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 9.5 stiff

3, 5 woods: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15,18 degrees Stiff

2 hybrid: Callaway Diable Edge Tour 18 degrees R (out when the 5 wood is in)

3,6 hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 21 S and 30 degrees R

4,5 hybrids: Callaway Razr X HL 24 and 27 degrees Stiff

7-AW irons: Callaway Razr HL graphite R shafts 

SW 54 Callaway X Series Jaws CC Slate Fujikura Graphite Stiff

Putter: Odessey White Ice 1 Blade Putter. 

Ball...looking for any ball that hates water, sand, long grass, and getting lost in the woods. 

I can't find any, so forced to use ones that seem to love all the above. 

Note: This thread is 3882 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!