IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

7 hours ago, 1badbadger said:

He does have his own plane and actually used it to fly from San Diego to L.A. after missing the cut at Torrey Pines.  He had planned on flying commercial (not sure why) 

I'll take a guess.  I've had mini "win the lottery" daydreams and looked into a few things here and there that I'd try when that happened, and one thing I noticed when looking into netjets, and the like, was just how relatively short range most of those private jets are.

So my guess might be that Tiger wanted to go non stop and his plane wasn't capable of doing that.

Now if you'll excuse me, I gotta go get me some powerball tickets. :P

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, 1badbadger said:

He does have his own plane and actually used it to fly from San Diego to L.A. after missing the cut at Torrey Pines.  He had planned on flying commercial (not sure why) but almost missed that flight due to the airport being flooded with protesters condemning Trump for signing an executive order that bars travelers from seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the United States.

16 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I'll take a guess.  I've had mini "win the lottery" daydreams and looked into a few things here and there that I'd try when that happened, and one thing I noticed when looking into netjets, and the like, was just how relatively short range most of those private jets are.

So my guess might be that Tiger wanted to go non stop and his plane wasn't capable of doing that.

Ha!  Pick me up a quick-pick and I'll pay you back, unless the jackpot is under $60 million...I don't bother until it hits at least that...:-D

I still haven't heard what the reason was for taking a commercial flight.  He has a Gulfstream 550, which is supposed to have one of the longest ranges for a business-type jet, and he's flown all over the world with it, so it's a little strange.  Plus, he doesn't travel alone...he's got his posse with him, so taking his own plane seem like a no-brainer.

• Upvote 1

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

A bit random, but I was reading recently about the trade between the Padres and Red Sox in 2006 that sent Doug Mirabelli back to Boston. It was an oral history about the day. The Red Sox were playing the Yankees at Fenway, Wakefield was pitching (the Sox only traded for Mirabelli because their existing catchers couldn't catch his knuckleball), and Mirabelli needed to get cross country in just a few hours. The Red Sox chartered a flight for him, and the pilot said something like "well we'll have to get lucky if we want to get there without stopping to re-fuel." 

And that was just San Diego to Boston, not Florida to the UAE. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

39 minutes ago, jamo said:

A bit random, but I was reading recently about the trade between the Padres and Red Sox in 2006 that sent Doug Mirabelli back to Boston. It was an oral history about the day. The Red Sox were playing the Yankees at Fenway, Wakefield was pitching (the Sox only traded for Mirabelli because their existing catchers couldn't catch his knuckleball), and Mirabelli needed to get cross country in just a few hours. The Red Sox chartered a flight for him, and the pilot said something like "well we'll have to get lucky if we want to get there without stopping to re-fuel." 

And that was just San Diego to Boston, not Florida to the UAE. 

Just for kicks I looked it up, and Tiger's jet has a range of almost 6,700 miles, so it's enough to get across the U.S., but it's about 8,500 mi from San Diego to UAE, so they would need to stop and top off the tanks somewhere.  

Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

19 hours ago, 1badbadger said:

He does have his own plane and actually used it to fly from San Diego to L.A. after missing the cut at Torrey Pines.  He had planned on flying commercial (not sure why) but almost missed that flight due to the airport being flooded with protesters condemning Trump for signing an executive order that bars travelers from seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the United States.

So we can blame Trump for Tiger being injured again. Got it.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

14 hours ago, Zeph said:

So we can blame Trump for Tiger being injured again. Got it.

Hey, I'm happy to blame Trump for everything, including the milk in my tea being off this morning, but this might be a stretch, admittedly.

What wouldn't have been a stretch is a flight plan from San Diego, California, to Shannon, Ireland, for Tiger's G550. Almost 1500 miles to spare, in fact, provided it took off full. Half an hour supping a Guinness whilst the jet takes on more fuel? Sounds less stressful than a commercial flight for those (like him) who are no longer used to traveling that way, ("Now boarding Zone 2, all Zone 2 boarding pass holders please come to the gate now. Sir, are you Zone 2? Sorry, we have a lady with a stroller boarding in front of you. Now calling Zone 3.")

Edited by ScouseJohnny

ZERO, repeat ZERO politics are allowed in this forum.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

An oddly maudlin video - partly a promo for Dubai, partly the reflections of an injury-prone, 41 year old man, looking at a younger generation through middle-aged eyes.

The BBC rather glumly reported it, thus:

" Fourteen-time major winner Tiger Woods says he will "never feel great" again because of the number of injuries suffered during his career. "

http://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/38912329

Oh, and he's right about the cell-phones!

Edited by ScouseJohnny
  • Upvote 2

^Well I stand corrected on some of my earlier comments. Love the honesty and un-guarded nature of Tiger in the interview. That's the guy I want to root for...guess I'll just have to ignore whatever comes out of his agent's mouth.

Thanks for sharing

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

Tiger will not play in the Genesis Open or Honda Classic.

He cited ongoing back spasms.

So much for four weeks out of five.

And the meter ticks markedly closer to "He's done."

http://www.tigerwoods.com/news/2017/02/10/215671374/tiger-pulls-out-of-genesis-and-honda-due-to-back-spasms/

Tiger Woods announced Friday that due to ongoing back spasms, similar to what he experienced in Dubai, he will be unable to compete in the Genesis Open and The Honda Classic.

"My doctors have advised me not to play the next two weeks, to continue my treatment and to let my back calm down," Tiger said. "This is not what I was hoping for or expecting. I am extremely disappointed to miss the Genesis Open, a tournament that benefits my foundation, and The Honda Classic, my hometown event. I would like to thank Genesis for their support, and I know we will have an outstanding week."

Tiger is expected to travel to Los Angeles to attend and support the PGA TOUR event. His possible playing schedule after Honda will be determined at a later date after his back is reassessed.

I'm out. I'm now very much in the "show me something" camp. Still the GOAT in my opinion, but I'm just refusing to be strung along. We saw a mirage in the Bahamas.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Crud.  I'm genuinely disappointed.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

I'm out. I'm now very much in the "show me something" camp. Still the GOAT in my opinion, but I'm just refusing to be strung along. We saw a mirage in the Bahamas.

Not quite there yet...but I'm walking out the door.  I need to see consecutive strong showings to get my full attention again.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

I just assume now he's not even practicing. This sucks, will just have to see, the tour moves on, sans Woods for now.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

http://www.tigerwoods.com/news/2017/02/10/215671374/tiger-pulls-out-of-genesis-and-honda-due-to-back-spasms/

Has it crossed anyone else's mind that he's not really having back spasms, but is using that as an excuse or a cover-up to pull out of Dubai and these other events?  He can't say he's playing like sh*t and doesn't feel like posting anymore 77s, but if he's "injured" no one can fault him for that.

To be clear, I am actually a fan and think he is great for the sport, so I'm not a hater...just throwing out the possibility that it's not his back.  Since about Aug or Sept he has been doing some hardcore equipment testing (I know from the time he started testing until he signed with Bridgestone, they sent him between 48-60 dozen balls.  Not sure if the other manufacturers sent him just as many, but even half that would be pretty intense testing.  Not sure if he did clubs at the same time or separately, but still...) and his back held up fine as far as I know, but as soon as he plays in a tournament his back flares up?  This dude played in a U.S. Open with a broken leg...and won!  And now back spasms force him to withdraw after 1 round and his doctors have advised him not to play?  He got the go-ahead to keep playing on a broken leg, but back spasms last week have shut him down for at least a few weeks?

itr__1217971379_tiger_woods_wince_knee_injury.jpg.77dd4198260c3a389ff856c9ab3e3eb5.jpg

I'm not buying it.

Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

• Administrator
1 minute ago, 1badbadger said:

Has it crossed anyone else's mind that he's not really having back spasms, but is using that as an excuse or a cover-up to pull out of Dubai and these other events?  He can't say he's playing like sh*t and doesn't feel like posting anymore 77s, but if he's "injured" no one can fault him for that.

I think he knows the value of playing competitive golf. And that if he could he would be.

I think it's actually back spasms.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

This dude played in a U.S. Open with a broken leg...and won!  And now back spasms force him to withdraw after 1 round and his doctors have advised him not to play?  He got the go-ahead to keep playing on a broken leg, but back spasms last week have shut him down for at least a few weeks?

The "he won a major with a freakin' broken leg" thing actually gets pretty tedious. I feel sorry (in advance) for the Tiger of 2060, hitting the ceremonial drive at the Masters; some in the audience well be clamoring that he still has a chance of winning the thing - after all, he once won a major with a broken leg.

For what it's worth, he played the 2008 US Open in defiance of medical advice: http://www.scotsman.com/sport/miracle-man-how-tiger-woods-won-the-us-open-with-no-ligament-and-a-broken-leg-1-1434197

But I think there is a difference between a 32 year old athlete at the absolute pinnacle of his game gritting his teeth and playing 72 holes with a stress fracture of the tibia, and a 41 year old returning to the game after an extended lay-off as a result of back surgery and rehabilitation, and then suffering ongoing, debilitating problems with his back.

In his position, I think I'd be worrying, "Am I playing myself into a wheelchair?"

I don't doubt for one second that the reason for the withdrawals is, as stated, back pain.

Edited by ScouseJohnny

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I will continue to be strung along. Every time he tees it up in a competitive event I will gain hope that he has a chance. Unfortunately, I don't think he has truly cleared himself of the mental demons that started the slide (I do believe that mental shortcomings can manifest as physical injuries/illness). 

- Mark