IGNORED

2014 Players Championship Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note:Β This thread is 3639 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I'm quickly becoming a huge Spieth fan. That kid is impressive.

Not so sure. Jordan may have something to say about Jim winning...

Of all the young guys out there Spieth is the one I like to watch. Β Guess Adam Scott must still be on his honeymoon ;-) .

:mizuno:Β JPX EZ 4-GW Fujikura Orochi shafts 65g

:ping:Β G-20 Driver

:clicgear:Β 3.5 cart

Me against Old Man Par.

Just watching The Players tape from today. Most golf announcers, and people in general these days, are guilty of this annoying failure to properly use adverbs. Symptomatic of a lower intellectual standard, I suppose, and very grating to the ear, especially in the magnitude delivered here by Peter Jacobson. The world really is going to . Β /rant

I guess everybody isn't up to your intellectual standards. Why don't you become a golf announcer so you can grace us with yours.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5*Β 

3WD: Β Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons: Β Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2 Β 52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

I guess everybody isn't up to your intellectual standards. Why don't you become a golf announcer so you can grace us with yours.

I prefer people down here on my "intellectual" level to people that spend anyΒ timeΒ worryingΒ about adverbs. ;-)

I prefer people down here on my "intellectual" level to people that spend anyΒ timeΒ worryingΒ about adverbs.

That's why I love my PVR, I can fast forward through all the adverbs.

Yours in earnest,Β Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks:Β :cleveland:Β 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5* Β :tmade:Β RBZ HL 3wΒ Β :nickent:Β 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H Β :callaway:Β X-22 5-AW Β :nike:SV tour 56* SWΒ :mizuno:Β MP-T11 60* LWΒ :bridgestone:Β customized TD-03 putterΒ :tmade:Penta TP3 Β Β :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just watching The Players tape from today. Most golf announcers, and people in general these days, are guilty of this annoying failure to properly use adverbs. Symptomatic of a lower intellectual standard, I suppose, and very grating to the ear, especially in the magnitude delivered here by Peter Jacobson. The world really is going to . Β /rant

I posted this as a new thread entitled, "Announcer Fail--Verb modifier agreement." What particular guideline I violated thereby I have no idea, but thanks for the vigilant moderation! :loco: In any case, I thought it would make for some interesting discussion. Probably not coincidentally, I see ads for 5 Swing Keys on television which are guilty of this same chronic misuse of English, adopting the catchphrase, "strike it pure" as their motto.

If the replies to this post in this thread are any indication, people here don't know even what verb modifier agreement is, or they just don't care.

Cue moderation in 3, 2, 1, . . .

• Administrator
I posted this as a new thread entitled, "Announcer Fail--Verb modifier agreement." What particular guideline I violated thereby I have no idea, but thanks for the vigilant moderation!Β Β In any case, I thought it would make for some interesting discussion. Probably not coincidentally, I see ads for 5 Swing Keys on television which are guilty of this same chronic misuse of English, adopting the catchphrase, "strike it pure" as their motto.

If the replies to this post in this thread are any indication, people here don't know even what verb modifier agreement is, or they just don't care.

Cue moderation in 3, 2, 1, . . .

Uhm… whatever man. You didn't even cite an example. Your thread was merged because it was unlikely to garner any real traction, so it was merged with this thread as your complaint is about this tournament. If you wanted to post about grammar in general… .

Language evolves… if "strike it pure" (I had no part in writing the commercials, sorry to tell you) becomes the commonly used and thus accepted phrase, so be it. We're waffling between "solidly" and "solid" in our Lowest Score Wins book, because to many "strike it solid" sounds better (and I'm leaning towards sticking with solidly, FWIW).

P.S. I always love when people say dumb stuff like "cue moderation…" or "this post will be deleted in…" or whatever. Always worth a chuckle because it almost never happens.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Patrick Reed....LOL......boy has he ever been humbled by the golf gods! Wow!
  • Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Karma for Patrick Reed for being an arrogant (insert appropriate insult). I certainly wasn't the only person I know hoping Mr. "I'm one of the top 5 players in the world" was going to crash and burn so suddenly after a good win. Jordan Spieth is fantastic, I feel this is his for the taking with a comfortable position and only trailing a guy who has been out of form for years. He has a wise head on young shoulders and he's definitely gonna win one of the majors this year!! Listening to Kuch chat on Sky Sports after his round yesterday - absolute top bloke, not an ego in sight.

Yeah....Reed had it coming. But he's getting a mouthful of crow now. Agree on Spieth. Good kid. My cousin had a run on the PGA tour back in the 80's. Such a tough racket. To handle that kind of competition so young is admirable. I like Kuch. Nice guy as well. I am guilty of kinda liking seeing Garcia implode. Just so much whining! But he's gotten better with his attitude. I'd like to see Furyk have a good weekend. Kaymer is about as exciting as tapioca pudding, would rather see Garcia and Spieth tied with 3 to go.....

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Listening to Kuch chat on Sky Sports after his round yesterday - absolute top bloke, not an ego in sight.

Second that not a nicer guy in golf, hope he manages to get to rank 1 in the near future.

Easy now....no badmouthing Madden...

Wasn't bad mouthing either of them. Just that they have a lot in common, including first name, last initial, state of birth, and propensity for remembering that not everyone watching knows the game as well as we do.

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

I dont understand Kaymer. I thought after his PGA win at Whistling he was really gonna take off. Just a head scratcher to me.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland:Β CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

I dont understand Kaymer. I thought after his PGA win at Whistling he was really gonna take off. Just a head scratcher to me.

Same. I became a big fan of win after that win. It's been weird to see him fall so insanely far.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3Β |Β 15ΒΊ 3-Wood: Ping G410 |Β 17ΒΊ 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 |Β 19ΒΊ 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo |Β 54ΒΊ SW, 60ΒΊ LW: Titleist Vokey SM8Β |Β Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Gotta give props to NBC - lots of action between commercials. Doesn't feel like endless commercials watching the telecast today. I'm guessing there will be more breaks as there are fewer players on the course, but the early/mid broadcast showed lots of swings.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Live@ reports that only one person hit the water at 17 today. I saw Geoff O. hit the water at 18, but didn't see anyone at 17. Did anyone catch who hit it?

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

Johnny Miller should change his name to Captain Obvious.

I disagree. Β He has a lot of good insight. Β For example, just a few minutes ago he was calling a Lee Westwood putt and he said "You know, if he reads this right, he could make it." :bugout:

Gotta give props to NBC - lots of action between commercials. Doesn't feel like endless commercials watching the telecast today. I'm guessing there will be more breaks as there are fewer players on the course, but the early/mid broadcast showed lots of swings.

You know, I noticed that as well. Β It's almost like an action movie trailer where they cut quickly shot to shot. Β I think at one point I saw 3 shots in like 6 seconds. :-P A lot more entertaining than just hearing them talk in between the leaders shots and try to create more drama.

Gotta say I'm really disappointed in regards to the 17th hole today. Β This morning on TGC, they did a quick piece on how we should see some really close shots today because they can back it up off the hill just long and right. Β The guy even dropped a ball there to demonstrate it. Β And yet every guy who hits one just beyond the hole gets no backwards roll. Β Just a speedy downhill putt. Β What gives? Β Maybe the helping wind is hurting the spin and landing angle?

I disagree. Β He has a lot of good insight. Β For example, just a few minutes ago he was calling a Lee Westwood putt and he said "You know, if he reads this right, he could make it."Β :bugout:

Well then, I stand corrected. =]

- Shane

I haven't been watching golf lately, what's the new logo on the bottom right supposed to represent. The GOLF part.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note:Β This thread is 3639 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!