IGNORED

Know Any Really Good Golfers That Completely Quit Due to Frustration?

Todd Ruggere
Note:Β This thread is 1279 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

On 6/19/2014 at 4:17 AM, Todd Ruggere said:

I went to the course last night and asked some people about him. They said he had the shanks for a year!! It got so bad he wouldn't hit irons. If he had it for a year that means he took the winter off and came back in the spring and still had them. Brutal!

I've had the shanks for over 20 years. It all started one day in college with a Mizuno sand wedge. I've had malaria, dysentery, filaria, and several tape worms. They don't compare.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't know anyone personally (let alone a good one) who has quit. But I can see how shanking almost everything or getting chipping or putting yips can makeΒ someone want to quit.

IΒ have had chipping yips for 2 years now where each nGIR resulted in sheer terror for a while. I resorted to putting from anywhere within 30 yards of the green. I am getting back to 50% competence. Haven't felt like quitting yet though.

Vishal S.

When I worked in the golf business, I worked under a guy who actually spent some time on the tour back in the 60's/70's. He was in his late 60's then and could still flat out play. He would, however, hit the El Hosel every once in a while and when he did....he would literally quit on the spot. He would keep hitting them. If he put the clubs away for a day or two he would be alright for another month or two and then hit another one. This went on for the three years that I worked at the course. He told me stories of other guys who were good players who suddenly got a case of the "shanks" and quit the game.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white)Β 

I have an in-law who is a very good golfer who gave up the game many years ago. Well, at least 99% of it, since he still plays a few times each year. Very few. He can go months with out touching his clubs, still shoot mid-low scores in the 70. He one shot a 68 at Spyglass, when we were all there.Β 

He was a scratch player in college, and afterwards. Thing is, he gave up the game due to boredom, and not frustration. Fairways, greens, and a great putting stroke just did not do it for him. After college, he became a mail carrier.....go figure.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Oh yeah, I'veΒ know several. Not really giving up the game entirerly, but giving up on going pro. They went on mini tours or play eventsΒ the (now) web.comΒ tour and just give up after a year or so. They didn't really have a gauge of how much time and skill it really takes to make a living playing golf. If you dont win or make a name for yourself in the college ranks or big international am tournaments, you're really behind the 8ball.Β 

I don't know anyone personally, but I think we've all heard a story about some guy who was in the middle of some tournament, hit a bad shot and proceeded to throw his clubs in the pond then walked off the course never to play again.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon:Β Z355

:callaway:Β XR16 3 Wood
:tmade:Β AeroburnerΒ 19* 3 hybrid
:ping:Β I e1 ironsΒ 4-PW
:vokey:Β SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff:Β Harmonized Sole GrindΒ 56 andΒ Windy City Putter

24 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Oh yeah, I'veΒ know several. Not really giving up the game entirerly, but giving up on going pro. They went on mini tours or play eventsΒ the (now) web.comΒ tour and just give up after a year or so.Β 

My 2nd instructor was on Tour (not PGA) for a while and gave up. He has not quit golf altogether, but openly admits his game is now "deteriorated".Β 

I am not a good golfer, howeverΒ I occasionally think about quitting, despite shooting lower scores than I ever have.Β It's not really about the score for me, I'm not a competitive person. I just want to make elegant shots. When I thin shots, even if I par holes, I feel disappointment.Β 

Β 

Β 

Edited by Kalnoky

6 minutes ago, Kalnoky said:

My 2nd instructor was on Tour (not PGA) for a while and gave up. He has not quit golf altogether, but openly admits his game is now "deteriorated".Β 

I am not a good golfer, howeverΒ I occasionally think about quitting, despite shooting lower scores than I ever have.Β It's not really about the score for me, I'm not a competitive person. I just want to make elegant shots. When I thin shots, even if I par holes, I feel disappointment.Β 

Β 

Β 

Don't be disappointed. IMO, focusing on ballstriking perfection is the wrong approach to golf. Because you'll never get there. Personally, i enjoy shooting a good score when i hit the ball like crap. It feels like i robbed a bank or something.Β 

6 hours ago, Kalnoky said:

I am not a good golfer, howeverΒ I occasionally think about quitting

I'm right there with you. I don't think I can do it yet - the addiction is still far too strong.

The only good players I know (outside this forum) are the ones managing courses. Yeah, they don't seem to have the passion. It's hard for someone like me who has zero chance of becoming even averageΒ to wrap my mind around that.

On the other hand, if I'm at a movie theatre and I don't like what's playing, I walk out. In other words, if they're getting no enjoyment in playing, being better than most is not a reason to keep doing it. Good for them on walking away.

Edited by JonMA1

Jon

Years ago, I knew a man who stopped playing. He was a very good golfer and quit because (he said) he couldn't get better.

There is a simple formula: STRESS = DEMANDS (-) ABILITIES.

The demands and the abilities can be real or imagined, as I know all too well. The demands can be from others or from ourselves. -MarvΒ 

• Like 1

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite,Β A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy ProlaunchΒ Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed)Β Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce;Β PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

10 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Don't be disappointed. IMO, focusing on ballstriking perfection is the wrong approach to golf. Because you'll never get there. Personally, i enjoy shooting a good score when i hit the ball like crap. It feels like i robbed a bank or something.Β 

Funny.

I think it's #16 or so at my local course where the short part 3 has a downhill. A topped ball has a good chance of rolling onto the green. I'll try to appreciate that more next time.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

17 hours ago, Patch said:

Thing is, he gave up the game due to boredom, and not frustration. Fairways, greens, and a great putting stroke just did not do it for him. After college, he became a mail carrier.....go figure.

Fairways, greens and a great putting stroke don't do it for someone who has ambitions to be a top player.

This is why you have to pity 99% of the + markers who are in their teens. Most believe they are going to play professionally,Β make a fortune and be famous. Fact is, perhaps 1 in 10000 of them will. InΒ theΒ remainder you'll findΒ the ones who quit. They never actually played for the love of the game.

Edited by Shorty
  • Like 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Β 

Β 

Thanks for sharing these stories, very interesting and human.

I can't relate from a golf perspective, don't know anyone with similar stories, but at the risk of going a little off topic, I think I can relate from my early days as a musician. Β I played sax, etc., all through college and for several years afterwards. Β Then I just stopped. I occupied my time with other interests. Β I did dream of playing professionally, but ultimately realized I didn't have the dedication or chops. Β I don't Β miss it terribly, but I sometimes think about picking it up again. Β Realizing the effort it would take to rebuild to an acceptable level of skill worthy of rejoining the music scene keeps me away. Β I've been there/done that, with nothing really new to prove/no new real drive/purpose, but I did love it at the time, and am still a big music fan, but feel no urgent pull to play again. Β Maybe there's a parallel to the frustrated golfers in my example.

Lots left for me to ponder. Β The 'why' will take some further unpacking.

Β 

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

• 10 months later...

Alright, I'm gonna get blasted for this but here we go. I just decided to pack it in. Was playing 2-3 times a week, driving range twice a week, lessons for years, golf net in garage, videos, swing speed radar, etc... Used to break 80 half the time but now getting old and the game is deteriorating and to break 80 is a big struggle. Go out there and guys in front are shooting 1,000 and the round goes 5 hours. Can't get any flow going. New players in front the next time looking for balls every hole - no fun there. Next time they put a young guy in with us and he's on the phone 18 holes in a row - not kidding. Next time a guy is giving lessons to his wife in front of us. This is just how it is. At least half the time you don't want to be there. Then, finally, there's nobody in front and that's the day the swing goes out and I shoot 90. I think Bob Hope or somebody said if you shoot over 85 you're not playing golf anyway, it's croquet with golf implements. Look, if you can enjoy playing and shooting 90 or 100 then by all means go ahead. I got used to an eagle now and then and maybe a 74 or 75 once in a while but those days are over and not coming back. It just makes no sense to blow time and money and get negative returns due to age. You start hitting shots like a 30 handicap and look like a spaz. You see a guy use a driver on a 140 yard hole and realize this has to end before it gets to that point. The feeling here is that only a complete moron could have a good time hitting 95% of his shots 50 yards and that's what IΒ see guys doing out there. Sorry, that's not golf. You're better off in this game if you just stink your whole life and never know what good golf is. I've been a runner my whole life and now just enjoy a 4 or 5 mile run with ZERO stress. Not gonna spend hours and hours practicing and then get on the first tee and pull hook the first ball 60 yards left and triple the hole. That's fun? Afraid not. The golf nuts are now gonna blast me as a negative, miserable wretch. Yes, that's what IΒ am and golf made me like this. Only imbeciles have *fun* shooting 105. Would you go bowling every week and bowl a 13 and continue to do it? lol These days there's nobody under 60 out there and most discussions in the group center around surgeries and going to Florida. I was playing with this one guy on and off and he would always tell me he "wasn't this bad"Β all the time. One day I finally had it. He said it again after his usual 120 and I told him, "Listen, you really suck, you ARE this bad.!" He laughed and said he was playing the next day, too. hahahaha

Β 

Β 

Β 

• Like 2

No I haven't.Β  I do know some golfers that have quit beating themselves up about their game and accepted the fact that their level of play will likely never reach their goal.Β  One specifically has struggled with lower back issues and simply must limit his swing to compensate.Β  He had previously held a single digit handicap and now shoots in the low 90's.Β 

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5Β Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

My buddy's Son was like this. He was ready to give up the game after a horrible round. I had watched him the entire time, and when his clubhead reached waist high on the backswing, it was still looking at the ground! I've seen "shut blade" players before, but nothing as extreme as this. Everything was a dead smother left!

In the clubhouse after the round, he announced that he would give up the game. I grabbed a club and demonstrated for him what he was doing. I also illustrated how the club should work. I called it "open the door, then close the door". Get the toe of the club working toward vertical at waist high in the backswing, then get it to toe up at waist high in the through swing.

I also told him to practice this move in his back yard before attempting to hit a single ball. He might have wound up spraying balls all over the place, and losing even more hope.

The next time we played he was just dead nutting the ball! After one particularly fine tee shot he grabbed me in a big bear hug, and told me that I had saved his game!

I have to say, that felt pretty good!

• Like 2

@Fitcat21Β Hilarious! Boy do I feel your pain! I actually agree with your point regarding β€˜fun’ when you’re hacking it around. What I have to admit though is I no longer see them as β€˜imbeciles’ but as the luckiest sob’s out there. I envy them. I wish I could not care and just ...I dunno...hit the ball and chase it around. When people talk about enjoying the fresh air, the sounds, the walking, etc...yeah no. I can get that from 100 other venues. If I wanted to do that I’d do that. I came to golf. I get no joy from cruising around under par then having the shanks come along and destroy me for the remainder of the day. I don’t care if they’re playing classical music, a flock of African Grey Parrots whistle from the trees,Β the air is scented with a Himalayan Orchard bloom and the cart girl’s a smoke show....I’m done.

• Like 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

19 hours ago, Fitcat21 said:

Alright, I'm gonna get blasted for this but here we go.

No one should blast you for giving up a game you don't enjoy. Then again,Β I am the imbecile who can have fun while shooting a high score... so what do I know?

Now if I had to endure everything else you've described, there's no way in hell I'd still be playing.

Golf is an inexpensive activity that I can still get out and experience a couple times per weekΒ without dealing with crowded courses. Since I've never known what it's like to beΒ good at this game, it's probably different. Reasonable expectations helpΒ make the game more enjoyable than sitting at homeΒ reminiscing about how good I used to be.

Eventually, it'll probablyΒ become too frustrating andΒ I'll have to give the game up. But until then,Β I hope to some day be thatΒ 90Β year old guy out there still going at it and not giving a shit that I can only hit my driver 120 yards.

46 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I wish I could not care and just ...I dunno...hit the ball and chase it around.

I wonder if the really good players are thinking that's exactlyΒ what you're doing.

Jon

Note:Β This thread is 1279 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!