IGNORED

Michelle Wie... Love Her or Hate her?

1badbadger
Note: This thread is 3558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Michelle Wie... Love Her or Hate her?

• Love her
    • Hate her

Since Michelle is the talk of the golf world right now, I'd like to hear your comments on which side of the fence you fall.  Are you jumping on the bandwagon and cheering for her because of her recent good play, or perhaps you've been a longtime fan, or do you cringe every time they show her hitting a shot or talking to a reporter?

Personally, I am NOT a fan and haven't been since she turned pro.  Before that I didn't really feel one way or the other, but in 2004 she said she would consider turning pro if she got what she wanted, which was "Tiger money".  Wie said "If someone comes up with $100 million, or a big briefcase--someone opens it up and shows me all the money".  THAT was what did it for me...it irritated me that she was arrogant enough to think she deserved huge endorsement deals that rivaled what Tiger had despite an amateur career that wasn't even a fraction of what he accomplished before he turned pro.  After that, EVERYTHING she did was irritating, plus it was retro-active...stuff from before that had already happened got "grandfathered" in!  Things like:

• Playing in all those PGA Tour events when she hadn't accomplished anything on the LPGA Tour (yeah, I know her parents and agent were likely behind this, but still...)
  • The number of caddies she's gone through
  • Withdrawing from Annika's tournament when she was 14 over thru 16 to avoid the Rule of 88
  • Getting an exemption into the 2004 U.S. Women's Open

And the list goes on.  Ok guys, sound off...do you love her or hate her?  I don't know if you can be in the middle!

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Can I say just really like her a lot? O:)

Okay. . . love. :roll:

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I don't really hate any pro golfers. Some I may not root for and others I may not care how they do, but no hatred. As for Michelle, I think she's changed, and will continue to pull for her and Lexi to win.

Michelle who? J/k Glad I am not held accountable for all the things I did in my 20's ... I think she is growing as person and golfer ... Look forward to seeing her compete some more ... The golf sort of has a way of weeding out the non-performers ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Neither. Just another woman golfer, though more talented than most.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Glad to see her finally start to live up to some of the hype she had as a young teenager, immense pressure was put upon her way too young and it obviously hurt her early on, I love seeing her doing well now because having her play well is nearly as important to golf as having Tiger back. Oh yeah, Love.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

She's adorable and finally matured into a professional.  I really enjoy watching her play.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

She's adorable and finally matured into a professional.  I really enjoy watching her play.

+1  couldn't have said it better

One of my favorite players to watch on either tour.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

She's a good golfer. Enough for me. I try not to hold what people said 10 years ago against them. Especially if said person was a teenager at the time.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Tota[quote name="Zeph" url="/t/75494/michelle-wie-love-her-or-hate-her#post_1012765"]She's a good golfer. Enough for me. I try not to hold what people said 10 years ago against them. Especially if said person was a teenager at the time.   [/quote] Totally agree. She was 14 at the time. I also don't think what she said was arrogant; more kidding around than anything.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

• Administrator

Love watching her play, really happy for her recent success, hope that she can continue as the LPGA needs all the help it can get, and unlike you, @1badbadger , I realize a few facts…

Before that I didn't really feel one way or the other, but in 2004 she said she would consider turning pro if she got what she wanted, which was "Tiger money".  Wie said "If someone comes up with $100 million, or a big briefcase--someone opens it up and shows me all the money".  THAT was what did it for me...it irritated me that she was arrogant enough to think she deserved huge endorsement deals that rivaled what Tiger had despite an amateur career that wasn't even a fraction of what he accomplished before he turned pro.

You do realize she was 14 years old at the time, right? Let's go back and take a look at the things you said when you were 14… I'm pretty sure you said some awfully stupid things then too. You were - and she was - a child.

After that, EVERYTHING she did was irritating, plus it was retro-active...stuff from before that had already happened got "grandfathered" in!  Things like:

Playing in all those PGA Tour events when she hadn't accomplished anything on the LPGA Tour (yeah, I know her parents and agent were likely behind this, but still...)

Things that happened afterward were grandfathered in? Her first PGA Tour event was in 2004. She nearly made the cut and was the talk of the town. Sponsors often use their invitations on local players.

The number of caddies she's gone through

Do… you expect the caddies to stick around for a player who is in college and playing a partial schedule, or do you expect them to seek employment on a week-to-week basis?

Wie (or her parents/agents) fired a few (I almost said "a couple of" because it's really not that many) caddies, true, but she's only had nine in ten years of playing, which is about the average for a regular PGA Tour player who plays a full schedule, so…

Withdrawing from Annika's tournament when she was 14 over thru 16 to avoid the Rule of 88

She was also injured at the time, and was routinely seen wearing bandages and getting treatment on her wrists.

Getting an exemption into the 2004 U.S. Women's Open

So… the decision of the USGA reflects poorly on Michelle Wie how?

BTW, she finished T13 and was tied for the low amateur in that event. So…

Don't let a few facts get in the way of your narrative…

I've been critical of the mistakes she's made, but I've chalked them up to the mistakes made by a girl who hadn't even graduated from high school yet.

Seriously, what has she really done in the last five years except win four times (including a major) and, you know, graduate from freaking Stanford? (The water hazard penalty, for which I was quite bothered, is barely in this window).

• Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1bad,

I hate to tell you this, but Wie doesn't care what you think of her. I, personally, don't care what you think of her either.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Wie playing well is good for the LPGA, and golf in general. Anything, or person that is good for golf brings more amateurs to the game. The more amateurs playing the game of golf also means lower green fees for me. Myself I like to watch good golf being played. It matters little which pro  is playing that good golf . Except for Tommy Watson that is. :-)

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I like her because she has not not quit the games although so many people take her as a laughing stock ...( before 2014 ) . Her table top putting etc.
What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

1bad,

I hate to tell you this, but Wie doesn't care what you think of her. I, personally, don't care what you think of her either.

I appreciate most of the comments guys...thanks for weighing in.  This is simply something to spark some conversation or even a spirited debate.  No need to get personal...if you don't care about me or what I think feel free to not respond.  If you have some thoughts on the topic, by all means join in!

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Note: This thread is 3558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!