IGNORED

How many strokes do you lose playing aerated greens?

iacas
Note: This thread is 2425 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

10 members have voted

1. 1. How many strokes do you lose (or gain) playing aerated greens? Assume they're like the photo in the first post.

• I shoot better scores on aerated greens.
    • I shoot about the same on aerated greens.
    • I shoot a few strokes higher on aerated greens.
    • I shoot several strokes higher on aerated greens.
    • I shoot much higher scores on aerated greens.

A few higher. Also because you get used to slower greens, but when used, you need to adjust more to an other course that has fast greens. And because I don't practise an hour or more on the greens I will play my round on. Ok, I am a moron when it comes to practise :-\

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Especially when playing on familiar greens, I typically will shoot a few strokes higher. Sure you can smash it on long putts but the remaining sand on the greens usually will stop some from dropping in. It is better than not playing, but it changes the putting game into something different than the greens were designed for. The fact that many courses will give discounts or post aeration warnings is an indication that there are some, like myself, that dislike aerated green conditions and if given a choice would go elsewhere..

Especially when playing on familiar greens, I typically will shoot a few strokes higher. Sure you can smash it on long putts but the remaining sand on the greens usually will stop some from dropping in. It is better than not playing, but it changes the putting game into something different than the greens were designed for. The fact that many courses will give discounts or post aeration warnings is an indication that there are some, like myself, that dislike aerated green conditions and if given a choice would go elsewhere..

At the course I played today, the starters were hesitant to booking people on the course I played. They preferred booking people on the other course, which was packed with people (lucky to play a 5:30 round). We finished 18 holes in a hair over 3:00, and we even waited for a a few tee shots. It was pretty empty.

There must be some reason why so many courses in my area are so apologetic sending people out on these greens? If everyone thinks they are the same, why would they make such a big deal about it? Even the scratch player we partnered with today seemed dumbfounded by missed putts.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

At the course I played today, the starters were hesitant to booking people on the course I played. They preferred booking people on the other course, which was packed with people (lucky to play a 5:30 round). We finished 18 holes in a hair over 3:00, and we even waited for a a few tee shots. It was pretty empty.

There must be some reason why so many courses in my area are so apologetic sending people out on these greens? If everyone thinks they are the same, why would they make such a big deal about it? Even the scratch player we partnered with today seemed dumbfounded by missed putts.

Just because I tend to score about the same, doesn't mean that I wouldn't prefer to play on perfect greens given the choice.

Courses recognize that, they also recognize that a LOT of people believe that they putt worse on aerated greens.  Whether they do or not is irrelevant.  Discounts are a simple attempt to compensate for those preferences as well as the perceptions.......real or imagined.

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I don't think they make a difference in my score. I struggle with long putts anyways, so I don't think the bumpiness really makes much difference. In fact, in competition, I somewhat look forward to aerated greens. I know other people are really bothered by aeration, and it doesn't bug me. Advantage - me.

Case in point - I played a course that had aerated its greens last weekend, and then a course with normal greens the day after. I shot a +11 with 34 putts on the aerated greens, and a +12 with 34 putts on the normal greens.

That said, I'd still play a course with normal greens over a course with aerated greens.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Same here, I voted for "about the same". They look bad but at the end of the day it won't make that much of a difference. You're going to get some bad bounces and you'll get some good ones. The green speeds being slower also helps.

If golfers do feel like they shoot higher on aerated greens, it's probably because they have a negative outlook on it, like playing in bad weather. Some guys let it bring them down, some guys do just fine.

Watching the ball zig zag and bounce in and out of mini craters the entire way to the hole does that for some reason.

Unlike you guys I can't remember playing a course where the aeration didn't leave serious dimples in the putting surface.

I actually shoot much better when I play on aearated greens because I don't count any bad putts on account of the surface. ;-)

Obligatory J/K!  don't flame me, i'm kidding.  I voted slightly higher.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

It depends how they've been sanded.

The other day I was putting on aerated greens that had grown and not been cut because of wet weather.

It was a nightmare - basically trying to avoid three putting from 10 feet.

Usually I'd say the difference in actual strokes is minimal, but you tend not to make as many 6 footers.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I actually shoot much better when I play on aearated greens because I don't count any bad putts on account of the surface.

Obligatory J/K!  don't flame me, i'm kidding.  I voted slightly higher.

No joke, I felt like not counting the putt s I missed by an inch or so (actually 4 were from inside a foot, only had one short by 1"), but alas, I did. O:)

It depends how they've been sanded.

The other day I was putting on aerated greens that had grown and not been cut because of wet weather.

It was a nightmare - basically trying to avoid three putting from 10 feet.

Usually I'd say the difference in actual strokes is minimal, but you tend not to make as many 6 footers.

That just motivates us to work on chipping and pitching to gimmes even more. :beer:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I've played on greens after aerating at courses which the ball would bounce all over the place (day after aerating)

Then on the following days, ball would roll very good (sanded and rolled helped tremendously)

Then a week later, back to bounces. Heavy rains, or sand compacted to the bottom of the holes.

Then later the same week, top dressed again and rolled, pretty sweet.

It really depends on the timeframe which you play after green maintenance.

In the fall, which is most players favorite time of year, our green keeper will start the process on Monday and have the greens in great shape for the weekend play.

In the spring, the growing period hasn't kicked in and the healing/growing takes a few days longer.

Most public courses do not have the budget for the extra TLC, just let nature run it's course after aerating.

I voted about the same.

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

If golfers do feel like they shoot higher on aerated greens, it's probably because they have a negative outlook on it, like playing in bad weather. Some guys let it bring them down, some guys do just fine.

Yeah, this reminds me of people at the blackjack table in Vegas.  Some get all bent out of shape because the guy sitting at third base doesn't play correctly and occasionally will hit when he's supposed to stay, and take a card that would've caused the dealer to bust.  Those people fail to acknowledge the randomness of a deck of cards and the fact that he could, and probably does, help everybody else the exact same amount as he hurts them.

People want to consider all of the balls that miss because of the aerated greens but not acknowledge that its just as likely that some that went in may have missed without the helping bounce from the aeration holes.

Several strokes higher for me. Costs me as much in chips and pitches not reacting like I expect as it does on missed putts (and I miss enough greens for short game shots to add up).

I used to kid around with a few guys that they actually putt better because since 100% of their putts are off line they have a 50% chance of hitting something and bouncing the right way.

At my home course, my handicap tends to drop a bit during the first 2 weeks after being aerated.

Reason being, they are usually aerated on a Tuesday and by Friday we have had enough evening rain that the sand is gone.

At my course that means slower greens with next to no break. It is nice to actually putt downhill instead of touching the ball and hoping it stops less than 10 feet past the hole.

I tend to putt worse as the greens speed up until I adjust appropriately.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

I'd guess that greens that looked like the picture in the OP my score would be about the same.  At my home course I usually shoot a few strokes higher because the greens there are very fast and it takes me time to adjust to when they are slower.

Joe Paradiso

Yeah the green in the first post doesn't look that bad.  Come and play some of the mogul fields I've been at and let me see if you change your tune.

Agree. I should also take some pictures tomorrow, if they have not mowed the greens by then.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 2425 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!