IGNORED

Your best tips

Note: This thread is 3489 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You want a tip? Find your priority piece and then be a Stupid Monkey about it. That's it. /me avoids this thread like [S]the plague[/S] Ebola.

I have the best tip you will ever get I'll tell you it for free. Listen to everything Erik and Mike say.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My favorite tip ever:

Don't stop to tie your shoes in a revolving door.

Second favorite:

Never pet a burning dog.

Best golf tip ever? Probably this one from Erik:

You want a tip? Find your priority piece and then be a Stupid Monkey about it.

That's it.

/me avoids this thread like the plague Ebola.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

jeez guys - I think most of us understand the need for professional instruction, but the OP was just asking for a few of your favorite tips that helped YOU .   He's not asking for hard and fast standard operating procedures for how to hit a golf ball, which we all know vary from person to person.

Just post up a couple basic swing thoughts that have proven to help you  ... aiiiii, he's a new guy here - these responses aren't very welcoming and would be very off-putting to me if I were him (almost like many are making fun of his question).

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

• Administrator
jeez guys - I think most of us understand the need for professional instruction, but the OP was just asking for a few of your favorite tips that helped YOU.   He's not asking for hard and fast standard operating procedures for how to hit a golf ball, which we all know vary from person to person.

Just post up a couple basic swing thoughts that have proven to help you  ... aiiiii, he's a new guy here - these responses aren't very welcoming and would be very off-putting to me if I were him (almost like many are making fun of his question).

I don't think the posts here have been bad at all. I abhor "tips" for what I feel are good reasons. Should I not be allowed to say that?

Sharing tips is fine. It just so happens that my tip is that there are no good tips. :)

@21degreeloft , everyone means well.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

jeez guys - I think most of us understand the need for professional instruction, but the OP was just asking for a few of your favorite tips that helped YOU.   He's not asking for hard and fast standard operating procedures for how to hit a golf ball, which we all know vary from person to person.

We're just sharing our opinion of how we feel about tips. That can be a valuable "tip" in the long run.

My first post in the thread was sharing the "5 S's for Great Practice" and the "5SK video" threads.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

@21degreeloft , everyone means well.

QFT.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Back before I knew any better, I would accept swing tips and advice from anyone who was willing to offer. It didn't matter if the person was a complete hack who I had just been paired up with on the first tee box, anytime someone suggested a swing fix, I felt compelled to try it. Sometimes the tips helped, and sometimes they were disastrous from the get go. I still remember listening to a guy who wanted me to exaggerate my wrist hinge immediately upon takeaway. I had never met the guy before and have never seen him since, but for some reason I hung onto that damn tip for my next 3-4 rounds, developing a weak slice in the process. It took me shooting a net 84 in my men's club tournament before I tossed that tip in the mental dumpster where it belonged.

As others have suggested in this post, I don't think technical swing tips hold much value for the average golfer. Even a good tip that works well is typically a short term fix - I have seen many tips become exaggerated over time and eventually turn into a new flaw in need of a solution.

That said, I think there is value in some general swing thought tips that should hold universally true for most golfers. One of the most important for my own swing is "don't rush the downswing." For others, this might manifest itself as "maintain a smooth tempo." For me, this is particularly important when I am facing a pressure shot. My natural tendency in pressure situations is to want to get the shot over with (and therefore be done with the pressure). What happens in actuality is that I abbreviate my backswing, rush the transition and hit an ugly snap hook into oblivion. Other general tips might revolve around visualizing a target, developing a good pre-shot routine, etc. I do think there is value in these types of tips.

I always look for the quick fix, it is way better than fixing the source of the problem.

For example:

1. If you are hooking the ball(for a righty), just take the right thumb off the grip during the swing.

2. If you are struggling on mats...forget that one.

3.  Shake hands going back and going forward.

4.  Hold the bird without killing it, but here is the kicker, also don't let it fly away.

If it is about having to go to the bathroom on the course then look here.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/66807/nature-calls-on-the-course

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

I always look for the quick fix, it is way better than fixing the source of the problem. For example: 1. If you are hooking the ball(for a righty), just take the right thumb off the grip during the swing. 2. If you are struggling on mats...forget that one. 3.  Shake hands going back and going forward. 4.  Hold the bird without killing it, but here is the kicker, also don't let it fly away. If it is about having to go to the bathroom on the course then look here. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/66807/nature-calls-on-the-course]http://thesandtrap.com/t/66807/nature-calls-on-the-course[/URL]

Snarky-pants. :-D

Yours in earnest, Jason.

[quote name="cipher" url="/t/77720/your-best-tips/0_100#post_1068117"]I always look for the quick fix, it is way better than fixing the source of the problem. For example: 1. If you are hooking the ball(for a righty), just take the right thumb off the grip during the swing. 2. If you are struggling on mats...forget that one. 3.  Shake hands going back and going forward. 4.  Hold the bird without killing it, but here is the kicker, also don't let it fly away. If it is about having to go to the bathroom on the course then look here. [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/66807/nature-calls-on-the-course]http://thesandtrap.com/t/66807/nature-calls-on-the-course[/URL]

Snarky-pants. :-D[/quote] Whaddya mean?? Those are some good tips.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

My best tip is:  Don't bet on slow horses.

That one works just as good as any other one in improving my long term golf game.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Ok guys, here's the best golf tip I've ever received.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Buy low, sell high.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Tips?

Tips?

We're all different. I quit reading all golf periodicals years ago because of feel versus real, pics of what the pro did versus what the pro described what they did. Most tips were worthless, and the ones that were good, who knew because of all the bad "tips."

I've done the same with golf forums except for the vids and threads here by Mike and Erik.

Pay a qualified instructor. Forget tips.

Boom!! I agree that 98% of tips are worthless in golf.

I will share a couple though, and it's all about course management.

NEVER try to make up a bad shot with a shot that you are not 100% confident in or haven't practiced to avoid the big number.

Play one shot at a time and don't add up your score till you are done.

Shake off the bad shots. Have fun.

(I wish I was super good at all these tips):)

A swing instruction tip I have received that has helped me is key #2 - weight forward at impact.

I like the swing out to right field tip. That's a swing thought I often use.

I've struggled with wedge play around the green for years. This season, after watching Azinger talk about engaging the

bounce of the wedge, I've really worked on getting the shaft more vertical with my pitch shots. Try to get the shaft back to 12 o'clock

for pitch shots around the greens. This method has helped wedge play tremendously.

Note: This thread is 3489 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!