IGNORED

2015 U.S. Open at Chambers Bay Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3216 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am rooting for DJ!!!!!!!!!!

I'm with you. I'm pulling for DJ. Besides being the local guy and a fellow CCU alum, the free driver would be a nice bonus for me. I'm hoping he keeps it together.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For those that didn't see it.

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2015/06/gary-player-with-an-epic-rant.html?mbid=social_facebook

Quote:

“I’m standing in the most beautiful state in the world, Washington, Seattle, unbelievably beautiful, and we play this U.S. Open, this great championship, a group of people, the USGA that I have great respect for, but this has been the most unpleasant golf tournament I’ve seen in my life. I mean, the man who designed this golf course had to have had one leg shorter than the other. It’s hard to believe you see a man miss the green by one yard and the ball ends up 50 yards down in the rough.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I read some where this AM that the front 9 played over 4000 yards yesterday. (2-1/4 miles) Anyone who can confirm that? If so that's a long 9 holes.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I'm looking for Rory to make a big move today.  Morning tee time, and he's capable of beating the field by 4 or 5 shots on any given day.  I'm looking for -4 from Rory today (even for the tourney), while the lead at the end of the day settles at around -3.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

I read some where this AM that the front 9 played over 4000 yards yesterday. (2-1/4 miles) Anyone who can confirm that? If so that's a long 9 holes.

True: http://www.usopen.com/en_US/scoring/stats/round2.html

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2015/06/gary-player-with-an-epic-rant.html?mbid=social_facebook

Quote:

I mean, the man who designed this golf course had to have had one leg shorter than the other. It’s hard to believe you see a man miss the green by one yard and the ball ends up 50 yards down in the rough.

There has been majors before where you miss the green by 1 yard and you are in 6-8 inches of terrible rough. There has been majors where you need to carry it 1 more yard onto the green and end up 60 yards back down the fairway. It has happened before. If you don't want to miss the green, then don't hit it on that side of the green.

Quote:
“Imagine, this is a public golf course. This is where we try to encourage people to come out and play and get more people to play the game…It’s actually a tragedy. It’s 7,900 yards long. The world is suffering from a shortage of water. Can you imagine the water this course will take?

Mr. Player you do realize that people will never play the championship set up. The normal back tees are set up at 7150 yards, not 7900 yards. Also the course is made out of fine fescue which doesn't take nearly as much water as more traditional grass types.

He seems to be confusing what the course normally would be set up as versus US Open setting. Look at the images posted in the other thread for Bethpage Black. The rough is about 60% shorter than US Open rough. The greens are probably not as hard and not as fast. Sometimes Gary Player just sounds like an old man who likes to complain.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I think that sometimes here people that don't often play "open" courses forget some things when it comes the scorecard yardages.....There are no trees in the way on all of these dogleg holes.  Your cutting off huge chunks of the yardages.  The same phenomenon that happens when I'm golfing with somebody and they say they think they just bombed a drive over 300yds because they are hitting short iron into the hole....no, you just cut off 50yds of the hole by taking a aggressive line.

And although its obviously not a "easy" course lets compare a little......

Chambers bay 72.2/129 6541yds

Bethpage Black 73.8/135 6684yds

Pebble beach 72.6/136 6445yds

Whistling Straights 71.9/137 6450yds

Kiawah ocean course 72/134 6475

Gary Players own course isn't rated much less at all at 71.5/126....And I bet his course uses more water then Chambers by looking at the layout.  I'm glad that he's trying to make himself revelant for some reason but he's a little off in my mind.

I've always found Gary Player to be annoying.  Especially his constant life coach motivational speak when he gives interviews.  He seems completely phony.  I mean, I feel like having a conversation with Gary Player would end with me lodging a sand wedge up his ass.

• Upvote 1

"Witty golf quote."

Do love Fox's opening right now. Awesome.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Gary Player is nothing but a moron, thief and paid mouth piece. Narcissist who will do anything to be in front of the lime light.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Gary Players rant was a bit over the top but I don't completely disagree with him.  This is one of four Majors which get higher viewership than other weekly tournaments with a higher number of casual or new golf fans tuning in.  While some better golfers may find the course difficulty exciting or different, it's not in line with what the USGA wants to promote to encourage more people to take up the sport.

As someone who's played golfer for 3 years I have no interest in playing CB but know enough about golf to realize that CB is not representative of golf courses in the US.   If I was a new or casual fan considering playing golf and I watched this tournament I'd likely be discouraged from doing so.   Just about every pro has complained about the greens so they must be pretty bad.

I don't have a problem with how the course looks but the way it appears to play seems to be very frustrating and luck seems to play a bigger role than it does on other courses.

Joe Paradiso

People are so freaked out by change. I get sick of seeing the same tree lined courses on tv every week. I play tree lined courses every weekend. The courses all start looking the same. People need to "Open" their minds a little.

I'm glad that Joe Buck is interested in hearing about how Greg Norman and Tom Weiskopf mentally prepared to lose majors in spectacular fashion.

"Witty golf quote."

What is with this fox coverage and prolonged periods of silence? During Tringale and Phil's tee shot it's basically dead silence for a few minutes.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

"Get off my lawn, you damn kids!"

--Gary Player

Thought that was Cowboy's Owner, Jerry Jones line..... :whistle:

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

What is with this fox coverage and prolonged periods of silence? During Tringale and Phil's tee shot it's basically dead silence for a few minutes.

Silence by the fans or the broadcasters? Cause I'll take a muzzle on Joe and Greg however I can get it.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 3216 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!