IGNORED

2016 Ryder Cup Discussion Thread

dunfy3
Note: This thread is 2760 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I disagree.  It looks like he's played OK the last couple of weeks but prior to that after the Masters, he's done nothing but play poorly.  That is what would keep him from making a lot of money, not his brothers twitter.

Being a Yorkshire man im quite a Willet fan so i'll give him the benefit of the doubt, as a new father im not suprised he's played poorly, i mean, ive git 2 kids under 4 years old and i play crap! :-D

Ive seen some of the stuff his brother tweets and most of it is just sibling banter. We brits often slag each other of but its all in a "loving" way.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

27 minutes ago, eich41 said:

I don't disagree with your take on his play since winning the Masters, however, endorsements are absolutely 100% more about a player's reputation and popularity, than their performance on the course (See Rickie Fowler, et al).  Without a doubt this drivel from his brother will negatively impact Willet's popularity (right or wrong).  The less popular he is, the fewer endorsements and/or the lesser the value of those endorsements.  If you don't think that this piece has negatively impacted Willet's pocketbook, you are mistaken...

There's no question Willett's popularity here in the US is going to be damaged by his brothers comments.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

3 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

There's no question Willett's popularity here in the US is going to be damaged by his brothers comments.  

No question that's a possibility.  On the other hand, his behavior this weekend, especially in the face of the inevitable hecklers, could do a lot to overcome any damage his brother may have caused.  If he can react with grace, even good humor, he could actually come out ahead.  If I were him, I'd be looking for a "lego-man" plastic wig, and maybe even some Euro-uniform cargo shorts, to wear to the first tee.  To me, that would defuse everything.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

31 minutes ago, eich41 said:

Without a doubt this drivel from his brother will negatively impact Willet's popularity (right or wrong).  ...If you don't think that this piece has negatively impacted Willet's pocketbook, you are mistaken...

I think there is plenty of doubt.  And I don't think this will affect his pocketbook one iota.  How many endorsement deals were on the table before yestrrday that are supposedly off it now?  I'm guessing zero ... Because his play has not been spectacular.  (And he's not Rickie Fowler so he's not overcoming poor play with his looks or his fashion statements)

7 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I do not think it's without question at all.  He immediately apologized for something he didn't even do ... If anything I would bet his popularity might go up.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

No question that's a possibility.  On the other hand, his behavior this weekend, especially in the face of the inevitable hecklers, could do a lot to overcome any damage his brother may have caused.  If he can react with grace, even good humor, he could actually come out ahead.  If I were him, I'd be looking for a "lego-man" plastic wig, and maybe even some Euro-uniform cargo shorts, to wear to the first tee.  To me, that would defuse everything.

He handled it as well as he could but most of the drunk idiots that hang out in a gallery aren't going to care how well he handled it.  I don't blame Danny Willett but his brother is an idiot and if that was my brother, we'd be having a pretty heated discussions right now.  

• Upvote 2

Joe Paradiso

16 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

7 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

He handled it as well as he could but most of the drunk idiots that hang out in a gallery aren't going to care how well he handled it.  I don't blame Danny Willett but his brother is an idiot and if that was my brother, we'd be having a pretty heated discussions right now.  

I'd suggest that his overall popularity in the US won't be defined by the "drunk idiots" in the gallery.  In fact, his reaction to those very drunk idiots could make him appear to be a nice guy with a good sense of humor.  If that becomes the case, AND if he plays well, the whole thing could become a winner for Danny.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

22 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

This.  Again, I don't think that everyone who read his brothers drivel will hold it against Danny, but no doubt there will be many that do.  His brother did him absolutely no favors in winning over any new fans here in the states, (again right or wrong).  

23 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I think there is plenty of doubt.  And I don't think this will affect his pocketbook one iota.  How many endorsement deals were on the table before yestrrday that are supposedly off it now?  I'm guessing zero ... Because his play has not been spectacular.  (And he's not Rickie Fowler so he's not overcoming poor play with his looks or his fashion statements)

I do not think it's without question at all.  He immediately apologized for something he didn't even do ... If anything I would bet his popularity might go up.

It's not about what endorsement deals are on the table right now, it's about any that may have come in the future.  This incident did not do anything to help Danny gain any traction here in the states with the average golf fan.  While on course performance certainly helps with endorsements, it's really about how popular a guy is.  Ricky isn't popular just because he dresses crazy, and he's damn sure not popular because he good looking (Really? You think that's why he's popular among a sport where 95% of the fans are males?????).  He's popular because for whatever reason, people like him.  He's personable, energetic, and people want to see him win, even if he doesn't do it nearly often enough.  If you don't think that there are quite a few golf fans out there who are less likely to become fans of Danny Willet now, you're crazy.  At the very least his moronic brother has created a PR nightmare for him to deal with which is only going to further distract him from his golf game.  

We don't even really need to discuss this much further.  If you don't think Willet is feeling the heat from this, then why is he apologizing to any and everyone?  Must be because it's not going to affect him one iota right???

Edited by eich41

This won't affect DWil long term, I don't believe, indeed, it'll probably help him because of his even-keel, seemingly humble comportment. 

I do think it could affect his performance this weekend, however.  His brother the dolt put a heavy, undue, additional burden on him, as if overcoming 1st Ryder Cup nerves wasn't enough. 

I also believe that burden might even be mitigated some if hecklers get after him.  His teammates will shore him up and it'll provide him an us-against-them focus that will probably help his game and the Euros, especially if the heckling is especially obnoxious.

I think the best approach from a spectator perspective is to ignore it, don't heckle him, cheer him politely.  I think the burden will weigh heavier on him if that happens.  But it probably won't. 

Edited by Gunther
  • Upvote 1

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

• Administrator
  • Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

55 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Fan makes a cool hundo from heckling Rory

http://postgradproblems.com/ryder-cup-usa-fan-heckles-rory-makes-putt/

20 minutes ago, iacas said:

I suspect we'll see that guy interviewed a few times over the weekend.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

From another angle:

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

With good-fun stuff like McIlroy/Stenson v. the heckler, Willet's brother is going to be completely out of the picture by the start of play tomorrow.

Dave

Note: This thread is 2760 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!