IGNORED

What'd You Shoot Today?

iacas

Shot my personal best 75, at a fairly easy course, Coyote Creek in Fort Lupton CO.  

Finally starting to make some putts, after struggling to consistently make 5 footers earlier in the summer.  Had a personal best 7 one putts, including a 30 foot birdie.

Practiced with my 5W off the turf today. Small basket. Pretty decent wind in my face, so distance wasn't of any importance, especially with range balls. 

What was important was I finally figured out the flaw in my swing that was allowing me to top the balls way too many times. 

The flaw was my grip placement on the shaft. Although my metal woods are a fitted set in themselves, the 5W had something different going on from the other 3 metal woods. 

I am a creature of habit with my golf swing. I try and keep as much the same in all facets of my swing as I can. I always kept about an inch, or so of the shaft showing above my top hand on all these clubs. Apparently the 5W needed less than that inch. Why, I have no clue. The shaft is cut the right length, and oriented properly with the club head. 

By choking up more, leaving less shaft showing above my hands, I started hitting that 5W better. The hits felt more solid, and the tops seemed to stop happening. 

Why I never thought of this simple adjustment before, I have no idea. I feel kind of foolish. 

Always something new to learn in this game. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Played 2 local munis today. 95 on Madden (CR 69.8/SR 124) and 83 on Dales (CR 63 SR 102). Happy enough with most of my game. Driver was doing its job. Longer irons were a bit off and a few duffed chips. Overall I am happy.

• Upvote 1
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Played 9 holes today in a brutal wind. My whole focus for the round was on that wind. Just about every hole needed an adjustment on my part. 

Used a lot more different clubs than I normally do. . 

Shot a 47, with no pars, and a couple of double bogies. +11 for 9 holes is not a good score for me. At least I got my 6s out of the way for a while. 

Putting was nothing to write home about either. (21) In addition to reading greens, I also had to read the ground wind across the greens. I watched the wind move a 2' foot, straight, par putt 3" inches left due to a gust. 

I normally don't play on weekends, but the course was pretty empty. I assume due to the winds.

Chalked up this messy round to "wind practice".....

In My Bag:

Shot my lowest round ever today on a course I never played before and I am so happy about it!  

Score: 93 (Par 72, CR: 70.1/Slope: 121)

GIR: 3

FIR: 1

Pars: 5

Bogeys: 8

DB: 3

Other: 2

It's my first sub 95 round.

My ball striking has been much better and I know it may not seem like it because I only had 3 GIRs but I've only had 5 GIRs in a round once and I had a good amount of nGIRs. 

I pounded my driver out there today with 6 drives over 250, longest going 285 uphill.  The biggest thing was that anytime I had a chip shot, I focused on making good contact and getting on the green rather.  So, I didn't stub any chip shot that ended up still in the rough. 

My putting was subpar overall but I did close out the last two holes with back to back 10 foot putts which I was thrilled about.  I was really feeling it on the back nine as I shot a 43, finishing 1 over on the last 5 holes with 3 pars to close the round.

Only wish it was June that the season wouldn't finish so soon here in NY so I could really build on this but happy none-the-less with my performance recently, as I shot a 102 yesterday with some flubbed chip shots and a 99 last week.    

Anyway, here's the round: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/RFKFREAK/round/2774353

Edited by RFKFREAK
  • Upvote 1

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Another 76 yesterday, 3 birdies, 9 pars, 5 bogeys, and 1 double.

Today, a 79. (40-39), 1 bird, 12 pars, 2 bogeys, and 3 doubles.

8 of my last 10 scores have been in the 70's. Handicap index is going from a 13.2 to a 10.2.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

On Friday night I shot a 74, which would have been awesome if it hadn't been on a Par 54 course.  Made a few pars, and a lot of bogeys, but the real killers were the doubles.  I putted pretty well, but they had just punched the greens, so the ball bounced around a lot on its way toward the hole.  I nearly chipped in for birdie on the seventh hole, which was the hole that the second group to let me play through on, so at least I looked like I knew what I was doing.

Edited by bwdial

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Shot 41-39-80 on a par 62 executive 9 x 2. My previous best on that course was 87 and I wasn’t playing my best, so there’s hope for the future. My putter was strong. I cracked my driver head last week, so I am playing with my backup which I don’t hit very well. But all in all it was a good round. I even birdied a hole!

On 9/23/2019 at 3:18 PM, Grass Destruction said:

Sunday I played Highland National and shot a personal best 76. I've been recovering from a back injury that started the 1st weekend in August. I'm finally pain free but I didn't want to re-injure it so I kept telling myself not to 'over swing' and play an extra club if necessary. Only 1 birdie but I left 3 birdie putts on the edge of the cup and almost chipped in another. 

Highlands?  it's pretty nice right now at that course - I played it a couple Fridays ago and had my best round of this year.

Back to the thread: 

Played one of my favorites Saturday - White Eagle - I had a stiff neck and back and still kept it in the mid 80's.  not great for me, normally high 70's on this course, but it was a good day and I played with a very nice couple that are actually building off 18's approach area (lucky).  I try to hit my favorites every year before it snows.  Solid day hitting, mediocre short and approach game, miserable putting.....not a single birdie.  Usually I kill one of the 9's on this course, this was a more steady round.  Played a different set of tees (mixed black/blue/white 6300?) - shorter than normal (blue - 6700?),  about half the holes had new looks and it was fun.

Edited by rehmwa
  • Like 1

Bill - 

Just came home from SummerGlen in Ocala. First time on the course. Shot an 82 (41-41).

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

It wasn't today, but the last time I played I shot yet another 40-42=82! I seem to be making a habit of this. Shooting 40 on the front and thinking I might have another chance to break 80, only to hose something up on the back. 

Today I tried hitting my old Ping Eye 2's again. I cannot hit Ping Eye 2's to save my life. Clearly my swing must be garbage since I can't hit the most popular iron of all time. I hit my Ram titanium X oversized irons well about ever other round and getting pretty good and consistent with them under 100 yard ons. I just don't like the fact that they are not a name brand club, that is why the siren song of the old Pings was calling my name today and ruined my day. I do like the way the Pings look in the bag but that is about it.  Selling the old Pings before they ruin any more rounds for me. Shot a 110 today out of frustation. Had been shooting in the low 90's on short courses and just around 100 on longer courses until today.

Ping Eye 2.JPG

WITB:

:ping: G25 8.5 with Hazardous black stiff shaft. Anser 3W 15 degree

:mizuno: MP-14 3-9. 51* Mizuno, :cleveland:54* Cleveland RAW ,60*  588 :odyssey: #2 Stricker special

Played the same 9 holes twice for an 82. (39/43 & 30 putts)

10 bogies, and 8 pars. My standard game, more or less 

Due to over seeding, 9 holes are still closed. I played from the tips on the first 9, and the mids on the second 9. There's only about 10 yards difference between the two. 

I used my 5W for a variety of shots, and swings. No tops, one fattie, and some decent ball flights made me a happy golfer. 

Shot of the round was actually a 15'+/- foot putt, up hill, with about 2' of break. Rolled the ball a little on the high side, to utilize more of the cup. Ball dropped in off the high lip. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:

Had a crazy round today. Our men's group moves from mornings to afternoons this time of year. I'm a morning type player. I've never scored well in the afternoon. At 69 years of age, it's interfering with my afternoon nap.

Anyway, we start out and I just can't hit the ball. Double, double, for the first 2 holes. Par on 3, then bogey on 4. Then the magic happened. 4 birdies, and I was back in the match. Going into 15, I was 2 over, then double bogey on 15, bogey on 16, then pars on the last 2 holes, gave me a 77. Tally for the day: 3 doubles, 3 bogeys, 8 pars, and 4 birdies.

Edited by Rkrider99
spelling

Frustrating day all around today.  Got stuck behind a freaking 5-some, annoying.  Took just under 5 hours to play 18.  So hard to get into a rhythm when you are sitting around waiting to hit after every shot.

Ended up shooting an 88, my worse round in a few weeks.  My driver has gone from mediocre to a complete disaster, and for the first time in a while didn't hit my irons well either. 

Edited by Inferno2ss

I shot a shite show today....100.  Consecutive rounds sub 90 and this shows up.  Shot 57 on front and rebounded to a 43 on the back.  Very humbling, as I was ready to get another score in the 80's.  Well, back to the old grind stone and play better next week.  Will be traveling to Tennessee to play Rarity Bay with my son.