IGNORED

Do you KNOW your score as you play?

JP golf
Note: This thread is 3124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do you KNOW your score as you are playing?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Do you know your score as you are playing the round?

• YES - at all times
    • MOST OF THE TIME
    • RARELY
    • NEVER!

(edited)

I try to focus on the hole ahead. If I think about it, I know where I am relative to par, but I think that is a distraction.

Because, "What's behind me, is not important." - Cannonball Run

Edited by boogielicious

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The less I know about it, the better.

I put the number down on the scorecard, but never add it up until I'm done. Generally, you know how you are doing, but thinking about the score is never productive for me. I Have a buddy that always insists on telling me what I shot at the turn and that's annoying to me. I think I put up a 39 on a front at some point and then crapped out a 48 on the back after one of those.

• Upvote 1

The less I know about it, the better.

I put the number down on the scorecard, but never add it up until I'm done. Generally, you know how you are doing, but thinking about the score is never productive for me.

Same with me. If it's important to focus only on the next shot, thinking about what you might shoot for the round seems too much of a distraction. 

• Upvote 1

Jon

Of course and it's relative to par, which to me is the same thing it counting every stroke. If I am standing on the 18th tee and think hey I am 7 over or whatever I know exactly what the number is.

Dave :-)

When I realize I don't know and haven't been 'adding' it up in my head.....those tend to be my best rounds.

apparently those times I'm more focused on the golf and the scenery and those other things that are relaxing during the round...

Bill - 

Well thanks to modern technology and Garmin I always know ... however; without it I am clueless ... just can't keep that many strokes in my little pea head straight.  

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Rarely at this stage in my golf journey because to do that requires too much thought, its a lot of big numbers to put together.  I will eventually though only because that is how I tick, being in finance.  Right now if I kept the running tally I would get depressed.  Heck on the 4th tee I was taking my 30th stroke.  It was an ugly, ugly first three holes, but I got through them.  Had a good run of bogey, par, bogey, double bogey, double bogey.  Then a blow up hole, bogey and a par.  So for me I put together a good string of holes with one blow up hole stuck in there.  

Scariest moment of the round was when I as a slicer teed off on (think it is 16) and the busy street runs along the left hand side over a fence.  I don't know if you call what I hit a hook but it took off like a rocket right over the fence and into the road.  My heart stopped for a second, thought for sure I was going to hit a car but miraculously no oncoming traffic came.  Still managed a triple bogey on that hole after I dribbled my next one off the tee but got a good 3W hit to recover and put me back out there.

I usually have an idea with casual play. With money games I play in twice a week I know. Those games get into my head. I was +8 in stableford with four holes to go, double the last 4! Because I added it up on the 15th hole. -1 3 strokes from winning still. The 15th I have birdied 2 weeks in a row for a net 2. The 18th I can drive to the fringe. Messed every pressure putt or chip after that. Wednesday I will make sure I do not pay attention to my points. Not to mention a 4 putt for double bogey on the first with my best drive ever on that hole, 50yds further than before.

It's pretty hard for me not to know what I'm shooting. It just sticks in my head from hole to hole. Especially if I'm playing extraordinarily good...it just seems to easy to keep that score in my head.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

i tend to look around the 5th hole or so, count how many im over and see how far behind or ahead i am  compared to the other players on the card.

1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

I am always aware of my score. I don't know that it is a good thing when I am playing well because, at some point, I begin to figure out if I have a shot to break 80 and that prevents me from taking it one shot at a time.

Bill M

There's no doubt a strong correlation to knowing your score to a players Handicap.    IE.....if your average 9 hole score is within 1-2 strokes from level par per 9 holes, it doesn't take that much thought/effort to knowing...."Where you stand".    In contrast, a high-capper that is 8-12 over par per nine holes might require a wrist-watch stroke-counter to keep track!!  

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I prefer to play a hole, write the score down, and then move to the next hole.  One hole at a time. 

I think have more of a feel of how well I'm hitting the ball or how well I'm putting more than what my exact score is at the moment.

There's no doubt a strong correlation to knowing your score to a players Handicap.    IE.....if your average 9 hole score is within 1-2 strokes from level par per 9 holes, it doesn't take that much thought/effort to knowing...."Where you stand".    In contrast, a high-capper that is 8-12 over par per nine holes might require a wrist-watch stroke-counter to keep track!!  

I can agree with that.  I know even when I was playing bogey golf though I knew where I was at.  9 over = 45 on nine.  It's like you kinda just know.  It's not like 4+3+5+3+4+6....   It's more of 36 +9 or 9=45; 8=44 -  Makes it really easy the closer you get to par though.

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

When I was shooting in the mid 70's most of the time I always knew where I stood to par. Today I just play to enjoy the game and do not score. I still pretty much know where I stand to par but don't really pay much attention to it. In other words I could tell you I had so many pars, bogies, doubles and birdies, but I don't take the time to say I shot a number that day. I don't care any longer. I just try to hit the ball as flush as I can each time.Go get it and hit it again. 

I know when I am scoring well and when I am not.  Typically I have a reasonable idea of where I stand with respect to par but if someone asked me exactly where I stood, often I need to think about it a bit.

It really is true that most of us play better when we are concentrating on the next shot and not filling our mind with total strokes taken so far or how many over or under we are from our "target".  I have tried to get away from keeping a running total or marking my position versus par and I am getting better at it.

Brian Kuehn

Note: This thread is 3124 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!