IGNORED

Taylormade and the need for M1 Sales

Note: This thread is 3098 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am a fan of all things golf clubs and technology.  However, since I work in the business and have to keep up with the technologies of each club and be able to sell those benefits to my members, I would like to be able to keep the technologies together.  What makes it a Titleist, what changes and beliefs does Callaway believe in.  Taylormade has befuddled me in the last couple years, every 6 months they have introduced a new driver, new FW woods and seemingly "The Next Great Thing", however most of these attempts have fallen flat.  I don't think I am the only one who thinks that?   SLDR, Jetspeed, RBZ, Aeroburner, R15, R1 Black, white.  It just seems to never stop and never congruently head in one direction.  Titleist knows who they are, tailor themselves to being slightly more exclusive and for the better player.  Callaway lends itself to benefiting the beginning player, although that is not their sole goal.  But, Taylormade, seems to employ the throw a bunch of stuff and see what sticks method.  

I am wondering how well does M1 need to do for them to gain back their market share and frankly some of their credibility with the consumer?  Is it a problem or are they not worried about it because they are still making money hand over fist due to a brilliant marketing campaign?

http://www.golfwrx.com/285833/taylormade-sales-decline-28-percent-in-2014/

Callaway Staffer. Golf Enthusiast. PGA lvl. 3 intern.   Lover of spoiling a good walk.
Driver:  Callaway 816 BB Alpha (Diamana Ki'lia 80 g    3W/5W: Callaway XR Pro  (Diamana Ki'lia 70g)
Irons: 3-PW Callaway Apex Pro (2 flat) Project X pxi     Wedges: 54  &  58 Callaway MD3

Instagram

If I was into getting only the latest equipment, then I would probably get an M1.

As it is, I get the old stuff.

Tried the R15 lately, but was turned off by the salesmen who didn't want me to test the drivers out at the shop. I was ready to put down money on a brand new model R15, but was told that I spent too much time testing it out a couple hours during the demo day when no one else was around. Strange, but then I decided to save the money. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd like to see if the carbon fiber tech holds up with the M1 or falls apart. At least they are trying. I bought TM until 2 years ago -- it was not that friendly.

Callaway is not a beginner's market. I don't think their Pro Staff, guys like Phil M, would appreciate that comment. What Callaway does well is segment the market. You want less expense with great technology and performance without the adjustable bells and whistles? Try the XR and XR Pro Line. Do you want adjustable lower spin performance with forgiveness for all players and pros, try Great Big Bertha. Do you want the weight forward and adjustable in low spin lines for the better player? Try the Alpha 816.

I've hit and own the GBB Driver and Fairways ... and it is WOW. 

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I've hit and own the GBB Driver and Fairways ... and it is WOW. 

I am in the process of doing the review for both of those and if I were to summarize in a word your choice of "WOW" would not do a pretty good job.

Michael

I am in the process of doing the review for both of those and if I were to summarize in a word your choice of "WOW" would not do a pretty good job.

Not wow which way: good or bad? I tried the GBB and I personally got better numbers from the 815 but it was an unreliable launch monitor, but the GBB still outperformed the M1 and most of the other current models I've hit.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Taylormade has befuddled me in the last couple years, every 6 months they have introduced a new driver, new FW woods and seemingly "The Next Great Thing", however most of these attempts have fallen flat.  I don't think I am the only one who thinks that?   SLDR, Jetspeed, RBZ, Aeroburner, R15, R1 Black, white.  It just seems to never stop and never congruently head in one direction.

Taylormade prides itself on being innovative. They develop new technologies quickly and aren't afraid to get them out on the market first, sometimes not fully being aware of what it is they developed. SLDR is a good example, they were looking to promote the adjustable weight (thus, the slider moniker) and discovered the benefit of low spin/high launch combination and quickly shifted their marketing campaign. Jetspeed never sold well and became an afterthought around that time.

Their marketing is too much for my taste, but they do make good clubs. I've heard from a few reps that they've cut back on the multiple releases, too. The confusion is the #1 comment they hear from consumers.

Callaway lends itself to benefiting the beginning player, although that is not their sole goal.

I don't agree with this at all. Where did you get that impression? Callaway's position (like most manufacturers) is that they have something that can benefit any level of player.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Maybe not for you, but I am enjoying them.

I am hitting the GBB Driver great - consistently forgiving and long on good contact -- I experimented and have a 9 degree, set to 10 or 11 Draw Setting. I have an Oban Isawa 55, KK Black 55, and Diamana S+ 60. My miss is toe side, and Callaway advises to place the APW weighting to the side of your miss to extend the sweetspot. I am hitting this on the range farther than any driver I've owned recently. Flight is straight to slight draw.

I just received the GBB Fairway in 3 and 5 wood - initially have them set a 16 and 19, although that may change as I gain confidence. The 3 wd has the Oban Isawa 55, the 5 wd has the Isawa 65. The 3 wood has a shallow ascent, peaks, flattens, and then shallow ascent with run. The 5 wood has a steeper ascent and descent as expected. I don't have a yardage estimate, but the flight is much stronger than the V Series. The feel is a zingy metallic. They have more heft than the V to my hands, and do require a more aggressive downswing and follow through than the V Series. I go Henrick on them - plow that right shoulder at the ball.

I am in the beginning stages of their use, but they are impressive for me.

I had serious consistency issues with an XR Driver - it was light at 183g head.  The V Series was heavier, but it needed adjustment, so the GBB made the bag.

PM me if you want to discuss more. I've turned into a Callaway Ho at the top of my bag.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I am in the process of doing the review for both of those and if I were to summarize in a word your choice of "WOW" would  do a pretty good job.

Sorry corrected my statement. I meant to say I really like them. The driver is a fantastic fit for me.

I will write more in the review, but they are great.

• Upvote 1

Michael

I don't agree with this at all. Where did you get that impression? Callaway's position (like most manufacturers) is that they have something that can benefit any level of player.

Thats why i said it is not their sole goal, I am on Callaway staff and I believe fully in the product.  It's positioned differently in the market, then say a Titleist club would be.  They do make something for every level of player! I love my 816BB myself! 

Callaway Staffer. Golf Enthusiast. PGA lvl. 3 intern.   Lover of spoiling a good walk.
Driver:  Callaway 816 BB Alpha (Diamana Ki'lia 80 g    3W/5W: Callaway XR Pro  (Diamana Ki'lia 70g)
Irons: 3-PW Callaway Apex Pro (2 flat) Project X pxi     Wedges: 54  &  58 Callaway MD3

Instagram

As you see from my HC I'm far from a good golfer, but I swear by Callaway on drivers. After a 2 hr fitting session in 2014, I settled on a Big Bertha. The numbers didn't lie, and they still don't. IMO Callaway makes the best drivers. They look the best at address, they feel the best at contact. They're long and forgiving. I have my 2014 Big Bertha set neutral face with the weight on Draw.

The odd thing in my fitting was that among all of the drivers in and above that price range, not one TaylorMade driver was included by the store fitter.

Edited by DrvFrShow

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I remember trying the SLDR and hating the feel. I also took a couple swings with the M1, and it was the same. I just really dislike how dead their drivers feel to me. Not really solid, but also not much going on down at the clubhead.

• Upvote 1

Seems golf manufacturers are testing the limits of what golfers will pay for drivers.  I'd estimate that the prices of drivers have gone up at least 30% since I started golfing 4 years ago but I doubt many can say they've seen 30% yardage gains.  I think the M1 will do well because it's touting even more adjustability than it's competition.  I won't buy it, but I can see it being very successful for TM.

OFF TOPIC:

The real question is does all the added adjustability do anything for the average golfer or are we just paying a premium so golf manufacturers and golf stores don't have to build and inventory as many club heads as they used to?   Four years ago, you bought a driver with a fixed loft and shot bias (fade, draw, neutral).  Golf manufacturers had to build different loft drivers (8, 9, 10 and 12) plus versions with different biases and shaft stiffness.

All those variations are now consolidated in one club head (minus shaft stiffness), imagine all the money that's being saved by manufacturers and golf stores that we are paying a premium for.

Joe Paradiso

Seems golf manufacturers are testing the limits of what golfers will pay for drivers.  I'd estimate that the prices of drivers have gone up at least 30% since I started golfing 4 years ago but I doubt many can say they've seen 30% yardage gains.  I think the M1 will do well because it's touting even more adjustability than it's competition.  I won't buy it, but I can see it being very successful for TM.

Hidden Content

I sometimes wonder what any company means by "20 yards longer"? I suppose if they mean average distance will increase that it's possible? You'd have to include stuff like boomerang hooks, mysterious 90 degree hooks, and shanks/duffs.

Marketing is like being truthful without the truth. :-P

I agree with your opinion that it will be successful, but I'll probably pick one up after we know the carbon fiber part holds up and the m2 comes out as another poster mentioned. :-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator

Seems golf manufacturers are testing the limits of what golfers will pay for drivers.  I'd estimate that the prices of drivers have gone up at least 30% since I started golfing 4 years ago but I doubt many can say they've seen 30% yardage gains.

I'm pretty sure the original Big Bertha driver - like, in 1994 or whenever it came out - cost about $400.

Drivers seem to consistently be $299 to $499 depending on the model and whether it's the "Tour" version or whatnot. For about the last 10 years, to be honest.

I looked back at our oldest reviews at http://thesandtrap.com/b/reviews and here they are, for driver:

Of course, some of those drivers were quickly discounted. Particularly the :tmade: one… :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm pretty sure the original Big Bertha driver - like, in 1994 or whenever it came out - cost about $400.

From the PGA Value Guide the Titleist 975D that came out in 1998 had a MSRP of $500

The 915D2 has a MSRP of $500 
:-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I think Taylormade knows they have die-hard fans and they know they have people who love the brand and will buy anything they push out. So they release the clubs every 6 months so they can get those die-hard's to keep buying the latest and greatest equipment to keep the revenue rolling. Plus they are always looking a ways to improve technology, they appeal to the customers that like the gimmicky things. Some people want to tinker with their clubs and every release is got something new for people to play with, which keeps it interesting.

I hate their marketing strategy because I think it is scummy but like that I can get the 'outdated' models in new condition on the cheap as they get closed out often.

Note: This thread is 3098 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!