IGNORED

mythbuster's Trolling Thread (was Setup = Automatic)

iacas
Note:Β This thread is 3055 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

21 minutes ago, mythbuster said:

thanks iacas- at last a bit of deserved recognition with my own thread into probably what i must admit, has been my savior.

what i mean by that is something that may sound stupid to you, but it has turned my whole swing around and that is probably why i come across as being a bit half smart.

anyway, the crux is that i was bending down to the ball by collapsing my left pelvic muscles rather than my right, as i always set up with the left hand only.

ok, so i fixed this by allowing the right to collapse instead, but also freely allow the chest to turn to the left without any hindrance. this is in direct contrast of teaching ,Β asΒ most people are of the belief that the shoulder must be pointing to the target .

also, i just discovered that if iΒ "allow" my left shoulder joint to come forward without tension at address, and not to stand with a posture like someone has a poker inserted in my proverbial,

i can actuallyΒ get a 'grooved " swing by pushing the left shoulder down and when i do this, i do not dip like before , it just rotates around the upper horizontal.

the only problem now is that i am only hitting practice balls, Β but still the changes to my own swing are so severe on my body during the follow through, that i am not that sure about being able to continue with this Β as i think iΒ have now a 20 year old"s swing in a 60 year old"s body.

that is what i would really like to pick your brains about- is it advisable for me to keep playing golf this way or should i just revert back to my hacker self ?

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Revert back to your hacker self and spare us your nonsense.

:adams:Β / :tmade:Β / :edel:Β / :aimpoint:Β / :ecco:Β / :bushnell:Β /Β :gamegolf:Β /Β 

Eyad

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, mythbuster said:

thanks iacas- at last a bit of deserved recognition with my own thread into probably what i must admit, has been my savior.

what i mean by that is something that may sound stupid to you, but it has turned my whole swing around and that is probably why i come across as being a bit half smart.

anyway, the crux is that i was bending down to the ball by collapsing my left pelvic muscles rather than my right, as i always set up with the left hand only.

ok, so i fixed this by allowing the right to collapse instead, but also freely allow the chest to turn to the left without any hindrance. this is in direct contrast of teaching ,Β asΒ most people are of the belief that the shoulder must be pointing to the target .

also, i just discovered that if iΒ "allow" my left shoulder joint to come forward without tension at address, and not to stand with a posture like someone has a poker inserted in my proverbial,

i can actuallyΒ get a 'grooved " swing by pushing the left shoulder down and when i do this, i do not dip like before , it just rotates around the upper horizontal.

the only problem now is that i am only hitting practice balls, Β but still the changes to my own swing are so severe on my body during the follow through, that i am not that sure about being able to continue with this Β as i think iΒ have now a 20 year old"s swing in a 60 year old"s body.

that is what i would really like to pick your brains about- is it advisable for me to keep playing golf this way or should i just revert back to my hacker self ?

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Again a load of gibberish. I know they have cameras in Australia. Take a pic or a video.Β 

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 hours ago, mythbuster said:

You didn't "discover" some magical secret in the setup, you just had a poor one with your spine tilting the wrong direction (towards the target) and your shoulders retracted. You managed to stumble upon the fact that you'll hit better shots by setting up with some secondary axis tilt and a rounded upper back, both of which have been discussed extensively on this site.

It makes it easier for your body to move correctly during the swing, but does not make a good swing automatic. Easier is not the same as automatic. In your case it happened to clean up some issues because your old setup was so bad, but it's likely that you still have more work to do beyond that. I doubt you turned into a scratch golfer overnight with this chanhe.

Also if you want to write a book, you should hire a really good editor.

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

3 hours ago, mythbuster said:

anyway, the crux is that i was bending down to the ball by collapsing my left pelvic muscles rather than my right, as i always set up with the left hand only

Honestly if the ball is generally infront of you then the hips bend at near the same angle.Β You are bending over at what, 30 degrees, not the amount you would if you were to pick an item off the ground.Β There is no way one hip should be overly more bent than another.Β 

tok, so i fixed this by allowing the right to collapse instead, but also freely allow the chest to turn to the left without any hindrance. this is in direct contrast of teaching ,Β asΒ most people are of the belief that the shoulder must be pointing to the target .

Who said the shoulders should be pointing at target? Most instruction has your body aimedΒ parallelΒ to your target line. So your shoulders and body would be pointing at a point off to the left of the target.Β 

Β 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

I myself am not diligent about filming my swing. Taking a simple photo of your before and after setup should be quite easy though. Why don't you show us this so we can actually get lift off? Also, I'd like it if you would explain what you mean by "collapse" in regards to your pelvic muscles. I'm not sure it's pelvic muscles you think your "collapsing" in the first place, but perhaps you could at least describe what action you are doing that you define as "collapsing". Thank you.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator

I asked you to do a few things, @mythbuster. You seem to have done very few of them. Among the things you did not do, without even reading your text, are:

• Quote people when you respond to them.
  • Post pictures or video.

You're off to a bad start.

6 hours ago, mythbuster said:

If me starting the thread is your savior, it's your posts that will be your downfall.

I doubt it. I've been teaching golf for awhile now, and I've talked with others, too. There's no one thing - certainly not a setup issue - that "turns someone's whole swing around." You don't go from a 15 handicap to even a single digit handicap overnight or in a week. Just doesn't happen.

Stop overselling whatever it is you've found and people would be more willing to listen. This sounds - likely because it is - like a whole bunch of :poo:.

Nobody that I know teaches that. Even the crappy instructors I've seen and know don't teach that.

I asked you to define words like "collapse" and you've not done that.

Most people are of the belief that their shoulders should be relatively parallel, not pointing at the target. You'll find, if you'd bothered to look around here, that we don't think alignment is a commonality - some players aim left, some aim right, some are pretty square. WhatΒ isΒ a commonality among the game's best players is that their shoulders, hips, and knees tend to be awfully close to parallel to each other.

Once again, please illustrate with pictures, and then show a video showing the "automatic" swing that follows.

This sentence makes no sense in several ways:

• What is "grooved"? Please demonstrate with a video.
  • How can the shoulder go "down" but then rotate around something that's horizontal? Either the shoulder moves horizontally (no downward), or the axis is horizontal, which would mean the shoulder goes only downward and never toward the ball (and the right shoulder never goes away fromΒ the ball).
  • You were physically incapable of moving your left shoulder inΒ the same direction before? Because I don't know about you, but I can stand on one leg leaning toward the target and make my left shoulder "push down."

Let's see the video. Convince a whole bunch of non-believers.

And, please, tell us what other usernames you've had here.

You should do as requested:

• Quote the people to whom you're responding.
  • Post pictures.
  • Post videos.
  • Define the words you're using, or use words that have one common definition as it pertains toΒ the golf swing.

Until you do that, you're going to be disregarded except for a small dose of amusement.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

5 hours ago, iacas said:

Until you do that, you're going to be disregarded except for a small dose of amusement.

That's quite the gracious offer, saying that he might not still be disregarded as a small dose of amusement after he posts the pictures. The mental images that popped into my head when he was describing were something like this:

LL

I don't know about you, but I find that (and the swing associated with that golfer in the image) pretty amusing regardless of how many pictures I see of it.

Hey @mythbuster, time to post some pictures or videos!Β :-)

Or some recent scores.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

thanks mvmac- at least you seem more approachable than most here without being over bearingΒ  and threatening.

i know i should try to post some sort of video, but i feel as though i would be totally embarrassed and humiliated at this stage of my new swing, as there seems to be an unforgiving and fanatical segment lurking here on the forum , accusing me of different user names.

anyway, i am not here to get any special notice, as some people here suggest.

you see, everyone's physical makeup is different. you can look at the antics of the pro's swing all day, but you may not be physically capable of doing it yourself.

that is what i am about- trying to find a setup/swing that actually fits me and all i am doing when i find it , is to report it.

i do not expect the negative diatribe though from self opinionatedΒ book writers and hangers on.

anyway thanks- you seem independent to the crowd.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

I routinely troll and make things up. Please use my posts for your own amusement, and little else.

1 hour ago, mythbuster said:

thanks mvmac- at least you seem more approachable than most here without being over bearingΒ  and threatening.

i know i should try to post some sort of video, but i feel as though i would be totally embarrassed and humiliated at this stage of my new swing, as there seems to be an unforgiving and fanatical segment lurking here on the forum , accusing me of different user names.

you see, everyone's physical makeup is different. you can look at the antics of the pro's swing all day, but you may not be physically capable of doing it yourself.

that is what i am about- trying to find a setup/swing that actually fits me and all i am doing when i find it , is to report it.

i do not expect the negative diatribe though from self opinionatedΒ book writers and hangers on.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Please spare us the I'm the victim here.. You specifically said there is a set up that if you got into you would have an automatic swing, now you are changing your tune to everyone has a different physical make up and you're just trying to find your own swing bla bla bla.. I'm not a hanger on, but I am going to challenge new ideas until it is either confirmed or just blows in the wind.. so far your idea is in a storm of wind and it is just flying away.Β Β 

:adams:Β / :tmade:Β / :edel:Β / :aimpoint:Β / :ecco:Β / :bushnell:Β /Β :gamegolf:Β /Β 

Eyad

Mythbuster, I have learned that it's best to ask questions, read, Β learn, and not spout about swing patterns. Β You seem to be just learning the game.Β It took time to learn to keep my mouth shut about the swing and just listen and learn. I thought that I knew something, but I knew little. I know a heckuva lot more after reading andΒ viewing video fromΒ several years on this site, but there is a reason that we have golf professionals.

When I have a toothache, I go to a dentist. When I need legal advice, I go to an attorney. When I need golf advice, I seekΒ a golf professional.Β 

Members here are more knowledgeable than others because they've spent years here learning from golf professionals. I liken it to cocktail talk. As an attorney, I perk up my ears at a party and hear nonlegal people giving legal advice -- some good, but mostly bad. Here, you get mostly good advice from members who have been here a long time or are golf professionals, while other members, well, you can throw what they sayΒ away, sort of like "this one move makes everything else automatic....:

• Upvote 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22Β HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7Β Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

@mythbuster, it's a little odd that a man of your stated age would shy away from posting a video of your swing out of embarrassment. We are all just students and teachers of this wonderful game. A very hard game. We are very fortunate to have dedicated and passionate people like mvmac and Iacas to offer advice. These guys have done massive amounts of research and have the forum to share their information. They do not simply tell people to emulate pro swings. You're right, some can't do that physically. However, they have composed the 5SK program which has nothing to do with physical limitations. HOW you achieve the 5 keys may be unique to your physical abilities or nuances (Jim Furyk) but nonetheless they are achievable and are present in all great golfers. Iacas and others are not threatening you in the least bit. In fact, Iacas has shown his commitment to golf by asking you to presentΒ your findings with video and explanations. If he was the usual "as long as you'reΒ happy" instructor he would just say "good for you carry on." When someone comes to this forum and makes claims of "holy grail" "savior" "game changing" findings, you better believe Iacas, mvmac and others are going to want to discuss this and expect the proper presentation to pursue. We all want to be better mythbuster. You couldn't ask for a better FREE forum to do just that. Nobody cares how good or bad your swing looks. Nobody cares if you're fat, short, tall, old or young. We are all in this crazy world of golf together. Please show us this swing and let's have an honest discussion about what can be done to help you. Cheers.

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

4 hours ago, mythbuster said:

Again you start off with a snide remark. This attitude of yoursΒ doesn't help you in your discussion of what you want to talk about.Β 

i know i should try to post some sort of video, but i feel as though i would be totally embarrassed and humiliated at this stage of my new swing.

Check out the My Swing thread. There are A LOT of swings on there. A lot of them are not very good, but people are willing to get better. You would think if you found this magical set up that you would want to share it by showing us how you do it.Β 

You would be surprised at what people can do. This is a blog post about a guy who claimed to have lack of flexibility.Β 

http://thesandtrap.com/blogs/entry/40-lack-of-flexibility-and-the-wall-drill/

Sometimes I think when people say lack of physical makeup they are just making an excuse behind why they don't do well. Unless you have had a serious injury that has impeded your range of motion or causes you pain then I doubt physical limitations are an issue.Β 

Again with the snide remarks.Β 

There hasn't been any negative verbal attacking. There has been people who want to flesh out the truth behind your statements. How you take constructive criticism and actual theoretical discussion is a you problem.Β 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

Am i the only one who is totally confused about this "magical move"?

If he's found something that works for him then great stuff, but if all it would take to get better is a metaphorical "magic pill" then the likes of @iacasΒ and @mvmacΒ would either be out of work, or selling magic golf pillsΒ :-D

To me there is just too much jargon in @mythbusterΒ post. Many if us high handicappers have a limited knowledge of the ins and outs of the golf swing so most of what he said went way over my head!Β 

If we could have a golf for idiots version i would be much obligedΒ :-D

Β 

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-(Β 

In the bag: Driver:Β Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

• Administrator

I've asked you, @mythbuster, to do a few things:

• Define some terms.
  • Post pictures and video.
  • Quote people when you respond to them.

You're 0 for 3. My hunch is that it will remain that way.

Do not play the victim role. Nobody has threatened you, unless you consider "Until you do that, you're going to be disregarded except for a small dose of amusement" a threat.

Post the video. Prove us all wrong in one simple motion picture.

No, you're just telling us you're going to fix golf and rescue it from decades of horrible instruction.

In my experience, just aboutΒ everyone without a major physical ailmentΒ can set up like a PGA Tour player.

We've given you the outlet and means to report it.

Post videos, post pictures.

Thus far you've refused.

Grow up. Man up.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

13 minutes ago, RussUK said:

If we could have a golf for idiots version i would be much obligedΒ :-D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCqN8UB9hPBWvUe0xT2sm

This is a close as I could find. . .:-D

BTW, what would be the difference between UK version and other English versions?

Β 

Β 

• Upvote 1

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Just now, Lihu said:

Β 

Β 

Wow, 2nd edition. Was the 1st not dumbed down enough?

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-(Β 

In the bag: Driver:Β Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

54 minutes ago, Lihu said:

BTW, what would be the difference between UK version and other English versions?

Β 

Β 

In the UK, practice is hard labour (with the U), you get your clubs from the boot of the car, and the wool thing you wear when its cold is a jumper (is it a pullover when it has no sleeves?)

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist:Β 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 ballsΒ 
:ping:Β G5i putter, B60 version
Β :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy:,Β :true_linkswear:, and AshworthΒ shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Note:Β This thread is 3055 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!