IGNORED

Take it or leave it? Theoretical Hole in One query

Big C
Note: This thread is 3071 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You're playing by yourself, hit a crappy shot on a par 3. The ball goes in the hole for an ace. Do you...  

51 members have voted

1. 1. You're playing by yourself, hit a crappy shot on a par 3. The ball goes in the hole for an ace. Do you...

• Take It
    • Leave It

If nobody is around to witness my flubbed shot make an ace, it was the purest shot I have ever hit in my life ;-)

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

I agree with OP.  I much prefer a good swing, good ball flight, bad result than a bad swing, bad ball flight, good result.

All well and good, but if you've ever seen the swings of people I've seen get Aces, "good swing" and "good ball flight" are words that have no context. And some of THOSE people have multiple aces. I'll take it however I can get it. At least the first one.

2 hours ago, Big C said:

So as strange as it sounds, this was one shot that I was glad not to have found the bottom of the cup. What say the rest of the forum? Would you take any ace regardless of the circumstances? Or would you feel that if you're gonna make a hole in one, you would like some people to actually celebrate it with you?

I wouldn't care that much if the shot was kinda missed but I would like people around to celebrate/validate it. One of my dad's buddies hit a tree and the ball went in on a 120 yard par 3. That's one where I might feel pretty awkward.

Obviously any hole-in-one requires some luck but all mine were solid shots.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

36 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

It's funny but true, almost ace is a great shot but it is entirely luck if it goes in.. haha..

I can understand if you wouldn't be overly excited if you had gotten the ace but why would you NOT want it to happen?? LOL!

IMHO, 1 is better than 2..

Cue'ing up my best high school girl voice. " Because I want my first time to be special.":-P

In all seriousness, I can't quite explain it. I know that logically a 1 is better than a 2 and that I should be thrilled with any hole where i can shave a stroke or two. I admit it sounds strange, but I was just REALLY happy that the ball ended up where it did and not at the bottom of the cup.

• Upvote 1

I am playing bogey golf and never aced one before.  I.e, I don't have an option to be picky.   If it goes in, it's a hole in one in my book.   It takes skill to be lucky .... :-D.

To the golf god which/who may be reading this post, please, give me an opportunity to feel what it'd be like to dwell on this specific dilemma.   I voted "take it" for now.   If I feel any different after the said hole in one, I will come back and resubmit my vote.   Thanks in advance.  No HIH from CA.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I just want some witnesses. I dont care if it hits the cart girl in the face and a bird drops it in the hole, just give me a 1!

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

I'm a pessimist so I am convinced my first hole-in-one will be a skulled shot when I am playing alone. This year I had 4 very close to a hole in one but of course none went in. All good shots while I was playing with other people. I have never had one go in from over 50 yards out on any hole and I have played a lot of golf (approximately 2,500+ rounds).

Hopefully I will get one someday on a nice shot to which I am sure my response will be "about damn time". If I get (my first) one on a horrible shot I'm sure my reaction will be "figures... I ain't buying nobody a drink on that shot". Though I probably still would buy somebody a drink on a bad shot but just not the entire bar.

33 minutes ago, Big C said:

Cue'ing up my best high school girl voice. " Because I want my first time to be special.":-P

In all seriousness, I can't quite explain it. I know that logically a 1 is better than a 2 and that I should be thrilled with any hole where i can shave a stroke or two. I admit it sounds strange, but I was just REALLY happy that the ball ended up where it did and not at the bottom of the cup.

If it's your first it is automatically special. :whistle:

What if you NEVER get on the board like the majority (including me)?? :-O.. If so, won't you wish 50 years from now, witness or no witness, serious round or not, that the ball took that one extra roll?? It's 'the one that got away but you were too busy not caring' theory..  

Vishal S.

I've had 5 hole-in-ones in 27 years of playing.   Three were with other people, two by myself.   I asked after the second hole-in-one whether it counted at the club and they said yes.   Because there is not a witness, I don't get the prize they give everyone (which is perfectly reasonable), but I did get a plaque and my name in the paper and newsletter.

The first one I had was a missed shot and I kind of felt that it was not quite right.   I fanned it out way right and it hit a hill and dove 30 feet into the hole.  The next three were good shots that didn't have to bounce very far (few feet at most) to go in, and one basically went into the hole on the fly.

The last one was quite interesting.   It's a par 3 over a lake and with a lake left of the hole.   The green is narrow and where the pin was (back right) there is an area that slopes toward the green that is where I want to aim.   It I pull the ball, I'm usually dry. If I hit it straight or even a little fade I hit the hill and it bounces onto he green.   I flushed a 5-iron and carried 185 to that hill, it bounced right off the hill and into the hole.   

So it was similar to my first one, but here I played it out to the right as strategy and hit a great shot.   In the end, the first one was just as special.   It just took me a long time to appreciate it like the others.

—Adam

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Big C said:

If it goes in after a bad shot, it's luck.

If it goes in after a good shot, it's a reward.

That's the difference. One stroke here or there is not going to affect how I feel about my score. I don't really even play for scores per se - I play to hit the ball well.

So, I'm with you, @Big C.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, Big C said:

If it goes in, I'd take it. I'd prefer "my first time to be special" but after getting to  3rd base a couple times, I'd really like to "go all the way" before my golfing days are done:-P

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

I have two hole-in-ones. The first one was uphill par three so I nor the people I was playing with saw it. But the groundskeeper was there watching the hole thing. He said mine hit past the hole and spun back in. 

The second one, I actually got to see. Hit a nice 60* lob wedge to a 95 yard par 3. Took one bounce and dropped in the cup. 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

5 hours ago, iacas said:

If it goes in after a bad shot, it's luck.

If it goes in after a good shot, it's a reward.

Never heard it put that way, I like it. You should write a book or something ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I accept the bad breaks as part of the game.  I equally accept the good ones.  Sadly the former always seem to outnumber the latter.

My great fear is that my elusive ace will happen in the midst of an otherwise horrible round.  I'll still take it though!  ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I would accept the hole in one, but I wouldn't be quite as happy as if it was a good shot. It's like pizza. When it's crummy pizza you'll still probably eat it, but you won't be as happy as if it was a delicious deep dish pizza with all your favorite toppings.

It's anan ace regardless of what route it took, or who did not see it. The player might not want to brag much about with out other eye balls seeing it, but its still an ace. Even the original post says it went in for an ace.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

It depends on how bad of a shot. If I just hit it thin but straight, I'd be good with it. But if it was some freakishly off-line shot that bounced weird... probably not. It's hard for me to feel proud about a crappy shot, regardless of the result. When I told the story, I'd be sure to include that part.

Jon

Note: This thread is 3071 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!