IGNORED

What is the single worst common on-course breach of etiquette?

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 2863 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What is the single worst common on-course breach of etitquette  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Worst Common Etiquette Issue

• Walking on line of putt
    • Talking/Making noise during a stroke
    • Moving during a stroke
    • Failure to offer/tend the flag
    • Playing music too loud
    • Playing out of turn
    • Walking away from green before others are done
    • Other (please describe)

1 hour ago, jsgolfer said:

Walking in the line of putt is probably the one that happens the most, but it doesn't bother me all that much, most of the time when this happens is when I'm 20 or more feet from the hole and my chances of making the putt are slim to begin with.  It rarely if ever happens when I'm close to the flag.

Sounds, people talking, music, people moving don't bother me at all.  I can talk and swing the club while I play.  Hitting out of turn, don't care.  If you don't tend the flag or take it out, I'll ask.  Walking off the green to next tee, don't care.

Only that bothers me on the golf course, other than my own play, is sow play.  Other than that I'm in my own world on the course for the most part and just don't let other people's play affect me.

Did you remember to send Mom a birthday card?  clearly a lost brother

only thing that bothers me, other than slow play, is not repairing damage

• Upvote 1

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I left off repairing pitch marks, replacing divots (or sanding divot holes), raking bunkers, not driving a cart too close to a green or bunker, etc... since I considered them less etiquette and more proper maintenance of the course.  Perhaps wrongly, I think of etiquette as the immediate interaction with one's playing companions versus performing repair work that will benefit players of which one is not even aware.  The section in the Rules of Golf was not the etiquette that I was considering.

Maybe I drew the line too finely judging from the poll..

Brian Kuehn

I voted other. My biggest pet peeve is being an idiot in a golf cart. Here are a few scenarios I've seen. 

Community Golf course. Tee Box #18 for both the inside and outside courses. A cart from the inside. Instead of parking down below and walking up the steps to the tee box. They decided to try to drive their cart through the heavy bushes. They got about 10' from the tee box then got stuck. Luckily they were able to get out. 

Community.JPG.93f36b605bea914998bf4ababf

I believe this was at Kinsale in Columbus. As we were preparing to hit a golf cart circled around the green and drove between the green and the water. I am guessing looking for a lost club. They already finished the hole. Kinsale.JPG.a014dbed56be5e2d085124903e7f

Yea, this stuff bothers me because it's just plain stupidity. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

22 minutes ago, GangGreen said:

I put moving during a stroke (especially if they're standing directly off my right side so I see them during my backswing).  I probably see people walking on the line of a putt more often, but honestly that doesn't bother me at all.  Talking/making noise during a stroke does irk me a little, but the driving range I go to is always noisy so it doesn't really affect me when I'm playing since I'm used to it.

That's an important point: if you practice with noise not bothering you, you get better at dealing with it during the round. And the better you get at ignoring distractions, the better off you'll be. Now, that doesn't mean accepting cannons going of like during Zach Johnson's putt at, I think, the John Deere last year, but some chatter or movement not affecting you is a good thing. 

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

2 minutes ago, dkolo said:

That's an important point: if you practice with noise not bothering you, you get better at dealing with it during the round. And the better you get at ignoring distractions, the better off you'll be. Now, that doesn't mean accepting cannons going of like during Zach Johnson's putt at, I think, the John Deere last year, but some chatter or movement not affecting you is a good thing. 

Yep, at least on the golf course you don't get the screaming kids or lunkheads who've never swung a club trying to impress their girlfriends by trying to out drive each other...oh look, I just creamed it 100 yards...BEAT THAT!!!  haha.

Funny story (somewhat off-topic) but I remember one time at the range when a group of 10 or 11 year olds were standing behind me the entire time betting on how far my next ball was going to go and then judging every shot, I found it hilarious (although talk about performance pressure!).

Hitting into the group in front of you.

Walking on a line never bothered me, not since metal spikes went away.  Of course I don't walk on other people's line, but if someone walks on mine?  Eh.

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

I voted 'other'.  

The thing that bothers me more than anything on the golf course is the 15+ handicap flinging golf clubs and spewing curse words after every swing.  I'm not talking about the occasional poor shot that someone reacts to and then moves on.  I'm talking about the 18 holes... 96 strokes... 4+ hour long tirade that never stops.   

I hit more poor shots than just about anybody I know.  I don't like watching a ball go out of bounds or into a hazard either... but I'm not going to carry on about it.  I hit a poor shot... so now let me go hit a good one.

Nothing takes the enjoyment out of the game for me more than being paired with someone who can't just have a good time.  

I find it to be a selfish attitude that needs adjusting.  

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Over zealous beer carts that show up every 3rd hole and sit in my line of sight waiting while I'm trying to take a shot.

19 minutes ago, SteveH said:

Over zealous beer carts that show up every 3rd hole and sit in my line of sight waiting while I'm trying to take a shot.

I can add to that.  50ish guy on golf cart path walking against the golfers who not only doesnt acknowledge and get out of the way of golfers (me) getting ready to tee off, but actually even stops the beer cart girl who is driving up, buys a beer from golf cart girl and proceeds to flirt with her for a minute.  

I'll echo @Fairway_CY and vote 'Other' for Poor Sportsmanship.

People talking in your backswing, walking on your line, failing to care for the course, playing slowly and such I can deal with so long as they are still pleasant people to be around. Walking around in a funk because of your play, shouting, throwing clubs, etc. on the other hand is really hard to deal with.

I say this as a (mostly reformed) bad sport who is more than a little mortified at my younger self.

2 hours ago, SteveH said:

What?  This is a problem for you?  Sounds like my kinda golf course.  

My problem is just the opposite, I usually don't see a cart girl til my approach shots on 9 and 18.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Talking during stroke for me. Sometimes guys just cant cut it off mid conversation.   That being said I WOULD LIKE TO SINCERELY APOLOGIZE to the golf world especially those who have played with me in the past. I was unaware its bad conduct to leave the green prior to everyone holing out. Only time it ever happens is when I get super frustrated. Seems like walkin back to the cart and trying to refocus is better than losing my temper. For this I am sorry!!! ?

7 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I would say walking on the line of a putt. It is usually accidental, but it does happen. My wife does it on my line every time we play! :-P

I wonder if the guy whose putt was stepped on by POTUS forgave Obama at the 1:00 mark above. I'd cut him slack on it. This time! But don't do it again... sir.

I voted other, mainly thinking that what gets to me are the pace of play style etiquette things. Cluelessness about waiting too long to hit a tee shot, putting a bag on the wrong side of the green causing a long delay when exiting, etc.  Overall cluelessness and lack of consideration for keeping things comfortably moving. I consider that etiquette of a sort. If that's not etiquette for this poll, my bad!  

Of the ones listed, moving/talking would be my pick.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Note: This thread is 2863 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!