IGNORED

Most Stressful Shot for You

bkuehn1952
Note:Β This thread is 2959 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

What is the one shot that you encounter that creates the most stress?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What is the one shot that you encounter that creates the most stress?

• First shot, first tee
    • First shot when playing with 3 people you do not know
    • Any shot over water
    • A shot with significant carry over a cross hazard
    • Any sand shot
    • Very difficult sand shot
    • Tee shot when playing through a group
    • Any shot where there are a lot of people hanging around and/or watching
    • First shot at a tournament
    • Shot coming down the stretch where a personal best, win, significant score is involved
    • First shot with someone significant (boss, in-law, girl/boy friend, etc...)
    • Something else (please describe)

I used to love playing under pressure, but I've been out of tournaments for long enough that I lost that.Β  So hitting the first tee shot at a tourney gets to me.Β  I'll get it back one day.Β  My 2nd would be the chip off a dirt pan (very little grass)Β lie that needs to carry 10ft of rough and land easy to get close andΒ save par.Β  I'm trying to practice those stupid kind of lies that you get in a round, but I get the yips or something as I try to do it.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach;Β Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI
Β 
TeamΒ :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That first drive of the day.Β  I'm the first guy who walks up, sticks a tee in the ground and puts one out there.Β  Not very far, but my stock cut-driver works every time. I honestly can't recall the last time I duck-hooked one, sliced one OB or rolled one off the 1st tee box.

The shot that literally KILLS me is ANY medium or long carry over trouble.Β  Be it water, ravine, waste area or whatever, I'll 'thin' that shot nearly EVERY time. It's so into my head I find it nearly impossible to put a decent swing on a shot where as little as 150 carry is required.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

45 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

@DaveP043Β Call it a provisional, because you don't know for certain it's out of bounds until you confirm it. This way if you blast that one OB, you can hit another provisional.Β 

Thanks for the advice, but whether its a provisional or a lost ball or its OB, its still stressful.

14 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

You all have it wrong. It's the long blast out of trees, the only shotΒ where there is a chance you could die.

I usually close my eyes on that one, so I rarely make solid enough contact to hurt myself with the carom.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist:Β 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 ballsΒ 
:ping:Β G5i putter, B60 version
Β :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy:,Β :true_linkswear:, and AshworthΒ shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

For me it's a tight tee shot with no room to miss on either side. At my home course, it's a holeΒ with water on the right and OB on the left and a fairway that narrows the farther one hits the ball.

Of the shots listed, it's the opening tee shot of a round.

Other... Β A 3-4Β ft putt in stroke play competition. Β I (and everyone else) thinks that you should make them every time. Β Reality isn't always the case....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

3 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Other... Β A 3-4Β ft putt in stroke play competition. Β I (and everyone else) thinks that you should make them every time. Β Reality isn't always the case....

I missed a <2 footer last weekend. Β Not my first.Β :cry:

25 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

-1.00001 strokes lost ;) Β 

Β 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

I used to have the first tee jitters, but I've learned to let them go.Β  My home course is a par 5 and has a pretty wide open tee shot, which has helped majorly.

I voted "Tee shot when offered to play through a group".Β  I play solo more than I'd like, and get offered to play through fairly often.Β  I can't avoid feeling rushed on the tee box and approach shot.Β  Par threes are the worst place for me to play through, because then I rush my putts as well.

A close second is for me is playing with a person (or people) of significance.Β  I'm not nervous to play with strangers for the first time, but if it is someone I know or know of (who is a better golfer than I), I feel the pressure to perform well.Β  I can't say I like the feeling of that pressure, but I have noticed my best rounds have been in these situations.Β  I believe the pressure forces me to really focus on every shot.

Edited by the fish
realized there was a more correct voting option

For me it are shots from downhill lies or shots from below my feet. Cant hit those well and I know it, so especially when I have to hit a shot from these lies with something to carry, the outcome is obvious before I hit it. I know it is a lack of technique and understanding, but somehow I can't get things right on these shots.Β 

First tee shot is it for me. I used to be deathly scared of that first tee, and it went away for a while but now that I play a little less frequently, it does get to me.

Water used to be a big struggling point, but now it isn't much. A lot of that came from the fact that my miss really isn't a chunk anymore, so I rarely miss short enough that water carries scare me.

Bunker shots can be stressful, but I've hit enough really good green side bunker shots that I don't think about it all that much. And with fairway bunker shots, I frankly just don't have very high expectations. Play it safe, don't take any chances you don't have to, don't overswing, ball-first contact, don't be stupid. And if your shot ends upΒ 10 yards short of the green in the center of the fairway, don't sweat it.Β 

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3Β |Β 15ΒΊ 3-Wood: Ping G410 |Β 17ΒΊ 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 |Β 19ΒΊ 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo |Β 54ΒΊ SW, 60ΒΊ LW: Titleist Vokey SM8Β |Β Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I never get wound up by the first tee shot of the day. Actually, I usually hit them well because my expectations are low and I just want to make decent contact.

What gets me nervous is a strong wind on the tee coming in and left to right. Not like my heart gets pounding, but in the back of my head I know I'm going to wipe it...

dak4n6

3 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

It's pretty stressful to line up for the 3.5ft comeback putt after that!

My Swing

Driver:Β :ping:Β G30, Irons:Β :tmade:Β Burner 2.0, Putter:Β :cleveland:, Balls:Β :snell:

36 minutes ago, stealthhwk said:

I voted something else. Downhill lie on approach to a green with a hazard in front. I face this shot at my home course a lot and it gives me fits!

Downhill lies would be my 2nd something else. How about a downhill lie long iron shot? Eeeek!

dak4n6

• Administrator
5 hours ago, saevel25 said:

-1.00001 strokes lost ;) Β 

Bad math (and a double negative?). More like 0.996 strokes lost. Or -0.996 strokes gained. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Note:Β This thread is 2959 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!