IGNORED

You've reached professional status, would you accept a sponsorship of something you don't like?

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 2971 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Sellout or not?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. You reached the status as a desirable pro golfer, would you promote something you didn't like?

• Sure. It's all business.
    • No way. I can't promote crap I would not sell.
    • Depends on how much they're giving me.
    • Depends on the product.

32 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Your'e considering the actual logos on the shirt, hat and bag, and I think you're right in that regard.  Very few people would drink 5 hour energy just because Jim Furyk does, but at least the name gets a lot of TV time.  So I agree with you there.  But there are more to the endorsements than that - like TV commercials and print ads and such.  I think that @Rainmaker's post applies to these things.

A name that comes to mind is Brett Favre.  He is not in the public eye AT ALL these days except on TV commercials.  There are a buttload of Wrangler and Copper Fit commercials on TV daily with him on there, on that type of advertising, I believe, IS the find where they hope you'll want to use the product because somebody else does.  The funny thing is, I (and perhaps others) don't think more highly of the crummy product because of the celebrity endorser, but rather we think a little less of the celebrity endorser because of the crummy product. :P

Brett might have been a awesome QB but he is a moron otherwise. Especially when I see him selling the bracelets and razors... Guaranteed to strike blood every time!

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Depends on the product.

I'd prefer Callaway, but if, for example, Wilson game me a bunch of money I'd play their clubs, and ball, and wear their hat.  I don't see any ethical issues with that, no one is getting hurt.

Chewing tobacco for instance, couldn't do that.

I've been giving this a lot thought lately because of how good my game has become.

Same as most responses, depends on the product - as long as wasn't a harmful if used in moderation.

I don't know that I'd switch equipment because I'd be afraid it might hurt any success I might have enjoyed. But I suppose if one is good enough to attract sponsors, they'd probably be good with different equipment. I wouldn't know what that was like.

Jon

First of all, I'll never be paid to endorse something but if I were to endorse something, I would first have to test the product to see if I like it. I couldn't lie or deceive the public and say I like a product if I don't. It's dishonest to endorse a product I have tested and find I really don't like

2 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

Brett might have been a awesome QB but he is a moron otherwise. Especially when I see him selling the bracelets and razors... Guaranteed to strike blood every time!

Damn, I forgot about the razor blades too!!

I thought about the topic before.   My conclusion is that I won't have anything to do with products or sponsors I don't believe in.   I am assuming, of course, that by being a pro, I am making a decent living without  being a ***** to the sponsors.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

If I were to endorse a company I didn't like, I probably would be the worst ambassador. People would see right through my facade. Use this drug! You won't grow a third arm. I promise.

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

My name is ******* and my drink of choice when I'm at home is Pabst Blue Ribbon.

<quietly self loathe my sponsor decision while I cash the check>

:tmade: SLDR 10.5 Driver, SLDR 3 Wood,3H & 5H,RBZ Iron's 4-PW

:vokey: 54°F-Grind 14°bounce &  58°K-grind 11° bounce
:scotty_cameron: Newport 2.5

1 hour ago, rkim291968 said:

I thought about the topic before.   My conclusion is that I won't have anything to do with products or sponsors I don't believe in.   I am assuming, of course, that by being a pro, I am making a decent living without  being a ***** to the sponsors.

Yeah, that's the question though.  Sure if you're Tiger Woods and are happy just getting by on a 9 figure net worth from your playing career you can by picky.

But what if you've just been grinding mini tours and Monday qualifiers for the last 5 years on your Uncle Fred's dime while sharing a motel room with 3 other guys.  You were about to give it up and get a job at Lee's Discount Mattress Warehouse when suddenly the stars align and you shoot lights out for a year winning your way to a tour card.  Thanks to your previous year's hype you get a $1 million/year sponsorship offer for as long as you can keep your card.  Who knows if your level of play will last?  If you get stage fright and play like crap you'll be back working at Lee's without even any prize money to show for it.  You might think twice out about wearing that hat for the Hitler Youth Foundation.

• Upvote 1

What's more unethical? Getting money for playing a product you don't use or like, OR getting paid by one company and playing another? There have been a few examples of this in the past. I believe Tiger was doing it for awhile before Nike actually was producing any golf equipment. Nike was all over his bag, hat, shirt, etc... The companies he WAS using must have been thrilled with that deal. 

Other pros may be pushing Taylor Made(for example) clubs exclusively, yet are wielding wedges from someone else but are not allowed to publicly declare the fact because of the exclusive deal with TM

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, sarena1594 said:

I'm not sure that'd I'd ever reject a golf company's endorsement, as I assume any club or apparel company can custom fit stuff for a pro.  If it was non-golf related, it would definitely depend on the product and how much their paying.  Although, the rejection list is small.  Just because I don't drink Coke or use any of their products doesn't mean I wouldn't let them pay me to represent them.  But sure, if I had a huge moral issue against a certain product, of course I wouldn't take the deal.

In the end, it's easy for us to debate, but if someone actually put a deal for millions in front of our face, a lot of us might think twice about rejecting it.

Yes, one might think that! And you couldn't blame most people. But folks with the skills of pro golfers aren't "most people". I tease a friend of mine who was a super Tiger fan, and then became a super Rory fan when it looked like McIlroy was going to take over the game. I tease him that Tiger talked Rory into signing with Nike so they could fit him with some jacked up clubs that he couldn't play! All to preserve Tiger's ascendancy.

We all saw how that turned out, but think about it. How well has Rory performed with Nike equipment? I've heard and read more than one pro saying their golf sticks aren't very good! But you could be right, Sarena. $50 Mill in the bank is a powerful incentive. If you have that, you can relax and just hack it around, knowing you're set for life! I would hope for more.

2 hours ago, allenc said:

Yeah, that's the question though.  Sure if you're Tiger Woods and are happy just getting by on a 9 figure net worth from your playing career you can by picky.

But what if you've just been grinding mini tours and Monday qualifiers for the last 5 years on your Uncle Fred's dime while sharing a motel room with 3 other guys.  You were about to give it up and get a job at Lee's Discount Mattress Warehouse when suddenly the stars align and you shoot lights out for a year winning your way to a tour card.  Thanks to your previous year's hype you get a $1 million/year sponsorship offer for as long as you can keep your card.  Who knows if your level of play will last?  If you get stage fright and play like crap you'll be back working at Lee's without even any prize money to show for it.  You might think twice out about wearing that hat for the Hitler Youth Foundation.

All bets are off if I am barely making it.   Providing for family comes first.   I will be happy to accept sponsor money even if I don't believe in its product.    

But I've seen super rich players sell some goofy stuff.  If a player is driving Mercedes but pitching for Hyundai, that's hypocritical. 

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

3 minutes ago, rkim291968 said:

All bets are off if I am barely making it.   Providing for family comes first.   I will be happy to accept sponsor money even if I don't believe in its product.    

But I've seen super rich players sell some goofy stuff.  If a player is driving Mercedes but pitching for Hyundai, that's hypocritical. 

Hyundai makes the Genesis. I would drive that over a "standard" Mercedes. 

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

1 hour ago, rkim291968 said:

I always wondered if Tiger ever actually owned a Buick. :)

15 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

Let's see.... I'd be the oldest woman on the LPGA tour.... What sponsors would approach?

Aside from the usual suspects like my golf clubs and attire which would be my GI Cobra Clubs and Puma.

AARP; Eddie Bauer; Zantac; Iroko Pharmaceuticals - makers of Zorvolex; Dr. Scholl's....  

:-D You forgot Acorn Stairlifts!

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

If you're struggling, then have a good year, then you'll get offers, but not from galactic evil empire transnationals, so whatever the company, just by its size alone, not going to be as big a dilemma. But it might be Acme degreaser, which has been reported for toxic dumping. That's the decision you'll have to make. 

Now if you're Spieth, Coke is partly responsible for the obesity epidemic. Those Asia appearance fees probably have a taint/whiff of govt corruption. When you're in the big leagues, it's hard not to endorse anything that's not totally "clean". 

I don't hold it against anyone who they endorse. It's a complicated, connected world, but an effort should be made to balance when you really need the money vs adding more to an already overflowing till.

I'd draw the line on Mossack Fonseca and the like and companies that are known fronts for terrorism.

I think what really happens is most will endorse based on a balance of money, what doesn't take up too much time and won't have a negative effect on getting more endorsements.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 2971 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!