IGNORED

A Forum Just for Golfing?

Grumpter
Note: This thread is 2852 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is my Golf Forum idea a waste of time, effort and/or money?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. waste of time, effort and/or money?

• Yes
    • No
    • Who cares?

Not a forum such as this one. What I am thinking is more along the lines of creating a private forum just for the people I have played with and plan/hope to play with again. The idea being using the forum to get a group together rather than emails, phone calls and texts which can be quite tedious. I'm the guy who will mostly play anywhere and anytime but always seem to be the one trying to piece the group together when everyone else has certain restrictions (tee off time, location, difficulty of course, cost of course etc.).

So I have been back and forth on the idea of such a forum and wonder if I am just kidding myself that it will drive me as Bat &$%^ crazy as trying to work around everyone else's schedule/restrictions. It wouldn't be that expensive of a lesson if it is a complete failure but go ahead and give me your thoughts. Is it just a waste of time, money and effort?

Sounds good in theory but not everyone has a facebook account or wants one. I wouldn't have one if it wasn't needed for work.

This site is designed for what you're looking for:  http://www.meetup.com/

- You can decide who can join the group.

- You set up events for the group with description, date and time and you can restrict the number of participants if you want.

- Folks can join in and comment on the event page.

I've used it and it makes organizing an event much easier.  Here's an example of one that is up and running, this link is the home page and you can click into events to see event details.  http://www.meetup.com/San-Diego-Jazz-Collective/

Edit: here's some San Diego golf meetup's I just found:  http://www.meetup.com/find/?allMeetups=false&keywords=golf&radius=10&userFreeform=San+Diego%2C+CA&mcId=z92101&mcName=San+Diego%2C+CA&sort=default

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Group text?

• Upvote 2

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

21 minutes ago, 14ledo81 said:

Group text?

4 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

:beer:

+2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I'm not really looking to do this on some other platform or on anything other than my own domain which has side benefits for me. Texting, other websites and platforms are not in consideration.

38 minutes ago, Grumpter said:

I'm not really looking to do this on some other platform or on anything other than my own domain which has side benefits for me. Texting, other websites and platforms are not in consideration.

Doesn't this answer your own question?

It's not a waste of time and money if you get enough benefit from it.

1 hour ago, Grumpter said:

You should have included this in the initial post.  How would it benefit you?  Setting it up is easy but it's one of those things that might get used a lot initially then dies out.  

Joe Paradiso

As mentioned above a private face book account is the way to go. I belong to a couple of them that are not golf related. They are pretty close to a private domain with about 40 members each. We all know each other on a personal basis, which keeps the content from going stale, or repetitive. 

I'd say go for it. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

2 hours ago, Grumpter said:

Sounds to me like you had your mind made up before you started this thread.

Just do it ;-)

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

@Grumpter  or anyone else interested.

I have built an App for the Mens game at my club using a web base platform which not only works for IOS and Droid, but it also is a web dashboard.

It has many useful features and capabilities for providing information to groups, like a members directory to call, send push notifications, email or call.

We use the App to make tee times, view our tee sheet, sign up for Saturday games, call or email our Pro shop, view scores and winners payouts of previous games, and several other functions related to our game. It also has the chat feature.

The name of the site is "Team App" and the best part is the service is free.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

FWIW - I'm an IT consultant and I advise businesses on how or if to implement custom software.  I would NEVER build something if there was already something that met my needs.  And if it was FREE??  No question.  Now, if you just want to build a forum for some reason - like just for the experience of doing it or something . .then go for it.  Otherwise it makes no sense.  Even if you build something - you should be able to do it pretty close to free . .except, of course, your time. 

1 hour ago, Rainmaker said:

FWIW - I'm an IT consultant and I advise businesses on how or if to implement custom software.  I would NEVER build something if there was already something that met my needs.  And if it was FREE??  No question.  Now, if you just want to build a forum for some reason - like just for the experience of doing it or something . .then go for it.  Otherwise it makes no sense.  Even if you build something - you should be able to do it pretty close to free . .except, of course, your time. 

Most hosting servers come with Softaculous installed on cpanel which provides free or open source software for websites.  On my server I have about 10 different forums I can install and setup free of charge.  I'd think as an IT consultant you'd be familiar with them.  

• Upvote 2

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 2852 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!