IGNORED

JDay, DJ, Others Pull out of Olympics, Rickie, Others Still Going

ZappyAd
Note: This thread is 2767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't care if Jason Day plays or not and he can use any excuse he wishes. But the fact is that pulling out because of the Zika virus is ridiculous. The chance of transmission is low, and it's not as if when you contract Zika that it could cause birth abnormalities for the rest of your life. The virus eventually leaves the body. So simply wait an appropriate time period to make sure that you're virus free (most likely because you almost certain won't catch Zika anyway) and then knock up your wife. 

But hey, humans are really bad at making rational decisions, science and math, so I'm not surprised.

"Witty golf quote."

2 hours ago, newtogolf said:

Also at one of the beaches, body parts washed ashore where the beach volleyball is supposed to be played.  

What??????

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

30 minutes ago, colin007 said:

What??????

Yeah, I'm out, right?  My kid is going to a beach camp in Santa Monica next week, glad she's 16, not 22 and heading to Rio.  Jesus.

Get out now Jordie.

Edited by Gunther

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/rio2016/golf/golf-rio-olympics-zika-security-1.3656849

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2016/6/29/poll-what-is-the-main-reason-some-male-golfers-are-skipping.html  Check the poll results

Everyone made similar dire prediction for the football world cup in South Africa and Brazil, despite the naysayers both were successful events.

Looks like in our sport the ladies have the balls. At least Rory had the cajones to tell it straight http://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/36665305

Really disappointed that top golfers are withdrawing. I'm still looking forward to watching the tournament though!

Starting to lean on the opinion that they're just using Zika as an excuse. The risk to get Zika seems to be very, very low. The fact that people are describing Rio as almost a war zone in terms of security seems ridiculous. They had the 2014 Football WC and everything went nice.

I understand the reason to protect your family, but it seems like in this case it is a bit far fetched and just an excuse. I'm losing a little bit of respect for the guys who are dropping out. Hopefully some of the top guys (DJ, Jordan) will go and show everybody that they should've gone!

And to add that Adam Scott has said that Golf would've been better with amateur players. I totally disagree with this. Specator interest would go significanly down. It only would've been easier for Adam and the fellow pros who then wouldn't have had to WD from the games..

9 hours ago, Gunther said:

Yeah, I'm out, right?  My kid is going to a beach camp in Santa Monica next week, glad she's 16, not 22 and heading to Rio.  Jesus.

Get out now Jordie.

Yeah that's bananas. 

Colin P.

1 hour ago, FinTurma said:

And to add that Adam Scott has said that Golf would've been better with amateur players. I totally disagree with this. Specator interest would go significanly down. It only would've been easier for Adam and the fellow pros who then wouldn't have had to WD from the games..

I doubt a lot of people from other countries would be traveling to Rio. It would be primarily locals. I don't think professional golfers would bring a big draw in Rio anyways. Maybe if the games were in South Africa or Australia where there is a bigger golf community. 

I think amateurs would do just fine. This isn't like supplanting the Ryder Cup picks with all amateurs and expecting to get the same turn out. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

2 hours ago, FinTurma said:

Really disappointed that top golfers are withdrawing. I'm still looking forward to watching the tournament though!

Starting to lean on the opinion that they're just using Zika as an excuse. The risk to get Zika seems to be very, very low. The fact that people are describing Rio as almost a war zone in terms of security seems ridiculous. They had the 2014 Football WC and everything went nice.

I understand the reason to protect your family, but it seems like in this case it is a bit far fetched and just an excuse. I'm losing a little bit of respect for the guys who are dropping out. Hopefully some of the top guys (DJ, Jordan) will go and show everybody that they should've gone!

Brazil is much worse off today than it was in 2014 due to the huge drop in oil prices.  

While some of the news reports may be exaggerated, the pictures tell the story.  Guanabara Bay is a mess, they have been forced to set up nets to keep the garbage out of the rowing and swimming lanes and it's so loaded with human waste that teams are using special suits to help protect them from the high bacteria count in the water.

The risk of Zika may be the most exaggerated risk of all the reports.  Hospital workers, police, fire departments and contractors haven't been paid for over six months and crime is rampant.  Rio has been requesting funds from Brazil's federal government for the last six months and have not received any money.  For the venues to be complete and the Olympics to be safe for competitors, families and fans the people in Brazil need to be paid what they are owed.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

39 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Brazil is much worse off today than it was in 2014 due to the huge drop in oil prices.  

While some of the news reports may be exaggerated, the pictures tell the story.  Guanabara Bay is a mess, they have been forced to set up nets to keep the garbage out of the rowing and swimming lanes and it's so loaded with human waste that teams are using special suits to help protect them from the high bacteria count in the water.

The risk of Zika may be the most exaggerated risk of all the reports.  Hospital workers, police, fire departments and contractors haven't been paid for over six months and crime is rampant.  Rio has been requesting funds from Brazil's federal government for the last six months and have not received any money.  For the venues to be complete and the Olympics to be safe for competitors, families and fans the people in Brazil need to be paid what they are owed.  

:-(

The Olympics and even Zika issues aside, this is truly sad. Especially for a major emerging economy in the last decade. I really hope people can hang in until things improve. You really start to get the feeling that the Olympics would be the last thing on their minds, and I absolutely wouldn't blame them.

Vishal S.

2 hours ago, Scotsclaff said:

Danny Willett decides to go.

He is reported as saying

'For the sake of one week out of every four years, I feel it's a risk I'm potentially willing to take.'

I read it a couple of times and wasn't sure if that is a definite or a maybe?!

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

3 hours ago, ZappyAd said:

He is reported as saying

'For the sake of one week out of every four years, I feel it's a risk I'm potentially willing to take.'

I read it a couple of times and wasn't sure if that is a definite or a maybe?!

Sounds a bit iffy :-D

I wonder if he's just saying that because he's trying not to receive backlash for not going. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/07/05/drug-resistant-bacteria-found-along-olympic-beaches-in-rio/21424302/

Wonder if this new news will have a bigger fall out than the zika virus.........This to me is far more serious than zika, at least from what we know.......but this crap could kill you. 

Hate crowned cups.

Brendon De Jonge, telling it like it is:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-olympics-rio-golf-de-jonge-idUKKCN0ZM04Q

"I am truly disappointed, but my current position on the FedEx Cup points list does not allow me the luxury to skip the John Deere Classic or the Travelers Championship,” the 35-year-old said in a statement. “I must finish in the top 125 to gain entry into our FedEx Cup Playoffs. This has to be a priority for me and my family."

Edited by krupa
Mis-spelled his name
  • Upvote 1

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

DJ out.

IMG_20160709_064643.jpg

Edited by Gunther

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Note: This thread is 2767 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!