IGNORED

Dress Codes

paininthenuts
Note: This thread is 2796 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

7 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

One thing though - as long as there are dress codes, I refuse to acknowledge golf as a "sport".  In sport, people dress for performance, not for socializing.

I'm not sure I agree, most sports teams dress to provide advertising for the clothing manufacturers who supply the uniforms.   

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't have an issue with most dress code requirements given my golf shirts and shorts are some of my most comfortable clothes but having color requirements for socks and belts is a bit much. 

15 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

One thing though - as long as there are dress codes, I refuse to acknowledge golf as a "sport".  In sport, people dress for performance, not for socializing.

"DRESS CODES" exist in all sports... They are sometimes called "uniforms"...

I do not like wearing collared shirts/jersey when golfing.  I am so much more comfortable in a nice t-shirt.  Golf for me is about having a good time and wearing the same type shirt jersey i wear to work is offputting to me.  Makes it seem too "Serious"

6 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

While I can understand what you are saying, even other sports have dress codes or uniform codes, meaning the players have to wear specific things. However, those codes are typically more about wearing team gear and/or safety equipment so I can see why you don't view them as the same thing.

Definitely. Some of this can get real specific.

Back in the day, Marge Schott had rules about facial hair for the Cincinnati Reds. There was also a rule about how many inches of the socks/stir-ups  the players need to show. That is opposed to now where most players have the pants come down to the tops of the spikes.

38 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Really? How much less could you care? :-D (Sorry, pet peeve of mine)

I agree 100% with what you're saying though. General dress codes are no big deal, but don't be stodgy about it.

You do know that either statement is used by writers who have editors. Saying I could case less just means one is not crazy about it but does not hate it. Saying I couldn't care less means they really hate it. Obviously some other people dislike the first statement, but that as you say is just their opinion.

Just now, Zekez said:

I do not like wearing collared shirts/jersey when golfing.  I am so much more comfortable in a nice t-shirt.  Golf for me is about having a good time and wearing the same type shirt jersey i wear to work is offputting to me.  Makes it seem too "Serious"

It is serious. Golf is not about having fun. Fun should be banned along with non-white socks.

Kidding, but I see your point. I guess in USA golf is similar to bowling? Having a laugh with your mates whilst drinking beer. In which case, I see why having a dress code is a bit weird. For private clubs it makes sense but for municipal courses you might as well attract more people and let them wear whatever they want providing it's generally acceptable to wear in the street. 

• Upvote 1

Even with no dress code, I always wear a collared shirt and golf shorts/pants. 

But I despise tucking in my shirt. I'm just not as comfortable. With that said, I agree with the others...private property, they can pick and choose and I'm fine with it.

• Upvote 1
Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

I believe that most courses that require collared shirts are just trying to keep wife beater shirts off the course. Some of the rules for the type of dress are really old school, but some I do like. Most muni  courses do not have dress codes, but most of the upscale courses have some type of dress code. When making a tee time for a course I have never played I always ask if the have a dress code. When I play golf I try to adhere to the rules of golf so why won't I follow a dress code at the course I am playing? If I was going to join a club and they had some silly (to me) dress code that I did not agree with I would simply not join it. 

I know Muirfield is off of the Open Championship rotation, basically for being tubborn.  Here's another "old-school" item, from their website:

Dress Code - Muirfield is a traditional golf club and one such tradition is that after 10am, jacket and tie is worn in the Smoke Room and Dining Room. You can arrive in golf attire, however golf shoes or outer golf apparel are not permitted in any of the Club's public rooms. On the course tailored shorts are allowed, but white socks must be worn. Jeans, trainers and round neck T-shirts are prohibited.

I guarantee that a dress code will never prevent me from playing a course like this, I'd wear a rubber nose and clown shoes if I had to.  Another interesting thing, they indicate a price for a visitor to play two rounds on the same day, and then specify that this means a morning fourball round, and an afternoon foursome (alternate shot) round.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Yep - and dress codes or (dress expectations) results in things like speed snowboarders wearing loose and baggy clothes.  Even if wearing low drag gear could mean the difference between gold medal vs silver or even gold vs any medal at all.

Performance and actions should win over cosmetic fluffery.  I know they don't, just should.  it's just an opinion.  (note for some, that dress code DOES let people perform better because of the mental aspect...so be it.  for others, not at all.  Individuals are not all the same.)

In a similar vein a comment above relates to being professional or gentlemanly being associated with dressing nice - I'd also say that those things should relates more to being courteous and intelligent and open and kind - actions over substance wins with me - IMHO - YMMV

Bill - 

1 minute ago, mcanadiens said:

Most definitely. Hate tucking.

but it's so pretty on people with pot bellies

• Upvote 1

Bill - 

10 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Most definitely. Hate tucking.

8 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

but it's so pretty on people with pot bellies

My pot belly, who am I kidding, BEER GUT!!! Fights to make sure my shirt gets untucked with every single swing!
By the 4th hole I just give up and leave it untucked.
By the 18th I am a sweaty, untucked mess of a human being!
(I am surprised courses still let me on)

• Upvote 2

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

I always marvel at how guys with the pregnant woman gut can swing a club.  They almost gotta swing it like a baseball bat because their gut sticks out further than their arms.  hahahahaaa

34 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I know Muirfield is off of the Open Championship rotation, basically for being tubborn.  Here's another "old-school" item, from their website:

I guarantee that a dress code will never prevent me from playing a course like this, I'd wear a rubber nose and clown shoes if I had to.  Another interesting thing, they indicate a price for a visitor to play two rounds on the same day, and then specify that this means a morning fourball round, and an afternoon foursome (alternate shot) round.  

My Grandad played Royal Troon years ago and they played 2 rounds in the same way. After the first round they came in for lunch and had to shower and change into a button shirt and blazers, however ties were not permitted unless in the members bar. He's big on dress code in our club,but even he found that a bit much. He still can't get over the fact that women had to use the back door to get into the clubhouse as well. Jokes are regularly made about that one!

I prefer a reasonable dress code including collared shirt and decent length shorts or pants.  As far as color of socks or belt, quite frankly I have never run into this even at private clubs.  I do find amusing some the clubhouse dress requirements but it's their club, and no doubt old timers will call you out if you happen to leave  your hat on.  That being said I do dress in standard golf attire even if I play a course that does not require it - just a personal preference to show respect for the game and course.

Note: This thread is 2796 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!