IGNORED

2016 PGA Championship at the Baltusrol Golf Club Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2822 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Did anyone else find the final round a bit boring? I flipped it on right before Walker holed out from the sand for birdie, and it never seemed like anyone ever really had a shot besides him. Day made it interesting with that eagle, but Walker making birdie on 17 sealed it really. And then the announcers were implying that Walker was in trouble when he was near the green in 2 on 18. But, really, making a 5 from where he was was really simple. 

Part of that could be the course. It was just long par 4 after long par 4, with a few long par 3s thrown in for good measure. 

Taking nothing away from Jimmy Walker, though. Just thought the tournament was sort of "meh."

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, DeadMan said:

Did anyone else find the final round a bit boring? I flipped it on right before Walker holed out from the sand for birdie, and it never seemed like anyone ever really had a shot besides him. Day made it interesting with that eagle, but Walker making birdie on 17 sealed it really. And then the announcers were implying that Walker was in trouble when he was near the green in 2 on 18. But, really, making a 5 from where he was was really simple. 

Part of that could be the course. It was just long par 4 after long par 4, with a few long par 3s thrown in for good measure. 

Taking nothing away from Jimmy Walker, though. Just thought the tournament was sort of "meh."

There's a lot less interest and a lot less hype for the PGA,the weather didn't help things. Therefore....IMO... there is an argument to stage the 4th major elsewhere.France,Capetown and Australia come to mind.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, DeadMan said:

I suppose one could say there wasn't as much excitement because Walker never gave up the lead in the final round nor did anyone have a share of it with him.  But the hole out from the bunker was key because Day made a lengthy putt that would have tied it shortly thereafter so I think Walker made key putts when he had to in order to keep the solo lead.  I'm not sure how much excitement there would have been had someone tied him for the lead or how he would have handled it.

That said, I did say while they were playing that Walker seemed to just be going for GIR's and not flag hunting.  It would have been interesting to see how his game plan might have changed had he been forced to alter it. 

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

What were the metal pieces just to the side of the belt buckles on several of the players during this past weekend?  Almost looked like police shields.

I gotta admit, I love watching tournaments where pros don't get the roll in the fairway they've come to expect.  I was giggling when the announcers were so befuddled by the proximity to the hole numbers in the final round and how not many of the top guys were going low or having a lot of easy birdie opportunities.  Compare that with the tourney last week when it seemed like the average drive on certain holes was in the 350-375 range, and it's like watching a different sport almost. 

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

2 hours ago, Ulyrider said:

What were the metal pieces just to the side of the belt buckles on several of the players during this past weekend?  Almost looked like police shields.

I think it identifies them as a player so they're allowed to go wherever players are allowed to go.

A collection of interesting tweets on the final round:

https://storify.com/florridfeline/2016-pga-championship-parting-tweets

247 days till The Masters. The Olympics, Ryder Cup and silly season just don't seem that compelling to me, that's it for golf on tv. Maybe Ryder Cup.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Im glad Walker won.Listening to Ian baker finch drool over Day was pathetic and that was only a few minutes I watched it.He had 1 birdie thru 6 holes and they said Day is making a move.Reminded me of the Tiger days where if he made  birdie they said here he comes.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Aflighter said:

Im glad Walker won.Listening to Ian baker finch drool over Day was pathetic and that was only a few minutes I watched it.He had 1 birdie thru 6 holes and they said Day is making a move.Reminded me of the Tiger days where if he made  birdie they said here he comes.

Ha, I didn't notice him so much drooling over Day as drooling over EVERY frickin shot by eveyone.  I mean, a bunker shot to 4 feet from 30 feet is spectacular to this guy.  A 90 yard approach to 12 feet is unbelievable.

Jesus dude, I make those shots all the time and I suck.  Save the histrionics for the truly great shots that none of us mortals can make.  I dunno if he's kissing the guys asses or trying to reflect the game being harder than it is but it is annoying as all hell.

• Upvote 1

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

30 minutes ago, Gunther said:

Ha, I didn't notice him so much drooling over Day as drooling over EVERY frickin shot by eveyone.  I mean, a bunker shot to 4 feet from 30 feet is spectacular to this guy.  A 90 yard approach to 12 feet is unbelievable.

Jesus dude, I make those shots all the time and I suck.  Save the histrionics for the truly great shots that none of us mortals can make.  I dunno if he's kissing the guys asses or trying to reflect the game being harder than it is but it is annoying as all hell.

59 minutes ago, Aflighter said:

Just a little nationalistic pride boiling over... :-)

Vishal S.

I liked how Walker and Day's kids called out to each other at the finish.  Probably a lot of these kids play with each other all the time and are good friends.

(The announcer commentary was really terrible for me, it just pushed me to disinterest.  I don't know why, but it grated on the ears constantly.  So much was just pointless or obvious and it kept droning.)

Bill - 

• Administrator

So there's this one guy who really, really, really didn't want Jimmy Walker to par the 18th yesterday…

Check that out!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

22 hours ago, ChrisP said:

We really are in an age of parity, albeit much stronger and deeper talent than the parity that took place in the 90s. It's hard to win majors...

Period. Even in Nicklaus' era, 1969, 1979, and 1985 had no Nicklaus, Player, Trevino, or Watson taking home the trophy. Even in an era of 'greats' it's going to happen.

Kevin

I record golf and watch it that way.  The final round would have been more interesting if the weather would have cooperated.  The slow greens were a problem for a pga tournament.  Kudos to Jimmy Walker for a great tournament.  Day never really got it going in the fourth round with his irons.

Television is the lifeblood of the PGA, thus another country hosting the PGA wouldn't work due to the time zone difference.  

I think that some of the final round being sort of "meh" for some watchers, was the fact that the commentators reported on how soft the course was, and how players would be firing right at the flag. Someone back in the pack could really go low, and mount a challenge. Yet, no one did!  If anything, Walker seemed to play away from the flag.No one took advantage of this "soft, defenseless" course. Maybe that means Baltusrol is really tougher than some think!

4 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Maybe that means Baltusrol is really tougher than some think!

Rating of 76 from the championship tees (7,400 yards). Setup (esp. pin positions) might be worth a stroke or two in added difficulty. Chambers Bay and Oakmont were likely tougher tracks especially with the setup, but hardly an 'easy' course.

Kevin

Jimmy Walker on Charlie Rose. Didn't change into a shirt and jacket, maybe too many appearances sandwiched into a short amount of time?

https://charlierose.com/videos/28533?autoplay=true

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 2822 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!