IGNORED

So I tried this play it forward (tee box) thing today

Kloeshuman
Note: This thread is 2705 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 hours ago, Gunther said:

I guess I'm an anomaly  (which may not be all that surprising).  I do not/cannot score better from the up tees.  It often brings more danger into play but I think the main reason is that I put more pressure on myself to score well because the slope and rating are lower so the impact of a good round on my hcap isn't as much and the impact of a bad round is worse.

Just experimented with this again on Sat.  We played the 1-ups during the round and I came through the front in 41.  Squeezed in an emergency 9 and played 2 tee boxes forward to get through quickly and I played that in 43.  I've done the opposite at my club on Texoma.  Went back to the tips for the emergency 9 and usually shoot the same or better from them.

I think it's a mental issue for me but I haven't seen the benefit of "play it forward.".

At an 8.2 it doesn't make sense that you'd struggle more from shorter tees.  More likely you're so used to playing the tees you do, that your club selection is automatic and you've become familiar with where you ball lands and what your next shot is going to be.  

I believe if you dedicated 5-10 rounds to playing the best golf you could from the shorter tees you would have a lower score.  

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In my experiments with playing shorter vs. longer tees, it does not make a huge difference in my score. The course up the street from me now is very short, and I still make a lot of bogeys by missing greens. I should be hitting more since I am using shorter irons and wedges for approach shots instead of mid to long irons, but I am not.

- Shane

Some people, for sure, benefit from playing forward tees. My father was very happy as soon as he was allowed to move up to the senior tees in our league because he knew the shorter distance would help him score better. Going by handicap/average drive distance isn't a bad idea at all. My average drive is long enough that I can typically handle mid to longer length courses, but I'll have a few holes where I flare a tee shot. This wouldn't change regardless of course length. That said, I'll play up if the person/people I'm playing with want to. However on my own I'm more likely to play further back. Some of my best rounds have been played from the back tees on some tougher courses.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I don't know why, but it doesn't seem to make a big difference in my scores either. I played a "green tees" tournament a couple of years ago and my score was around the same I usually shot at that course.  I don't think my driver is much more erratic than my 3-wood or hybrid - maybe that's why.

• Administrator
9 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

They can label them "super hero" tees if they want. The "ladies tees" moniker is so ingrained it's not going away.

Might I suggest you make an effort to change?

I know plenty of women - or girls, even - who can and do play tees back of the tees men twice or three times their age play (and beat them doing it).

Let's eliminate gender bias where possible, eh?

• Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I haven't teed it forward this season, but I did play in a scrabble a few months ago from closer tees than I'd normally play by myself. Was a ton of fun - I've always been a big fan of teeing it forward.

It's especially fun when playing with friends who aren't particularly good, if only because it makes you stand out even more. :-P

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Might I suggest you make an effort to change?

I know plenty of women - or girls, even - who can and do play tees back of the tees men twice or three times their age play (and beat them doing it).

Let's eliminate gender bias where possible, eh?

Works for me. I actually refer to them by color.

What i meant was there are probably many players that will keep calling them ladies tees. 

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

• Administrator
Just now, gregsandiego said:

Works for me. I actually refer to them by color.

What i meant was there are probably many players that will keep calling them ladies tees. 

Probably. Until they die, anyway. We can all do our part, though.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Probably. Until they die, anyway. We can all do our part, though.

I guess that old joke about pulling your pants down if you don't hit past (those tees) is not going to help then?

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

11 hours ago, jamo said:

I haven't teed it forward this season, but I did play in a scrabble a few months ago from closer tees than I'd normally play by myself. Was a ton of fun - I've always been a big fan of teeing it forward.

It's especially fun when playing with friends who aren't particularly good, if only because it makes you stand out even more. :-P

Play the Q, J, X and Z early in the game. You don't want to get stuck with those letters at the end. :-P

I'm playing with a buddy today that is in his 70s. I think I'll suggest we move up a tee box and have fun with it.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Some of the groups I have started playing with play the next tees up from what I had normally played. I have fun and it doesn't bother me one bit. For me, it's all about having fun and moving to a different tee box just changes the course and mindset up a bit. Great job for trying the new tees!

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

One of my regular groups normally plays the regular mens tees (6200 yards), but takes one weekend a month to play the more forward (senior, 5700 yards) tees on Saturday, and the back tees (6800 yards) on Sunday.  Its a nice change of pace, it definitely changes club selection on many of the holes, I enjoy it.  Our handicaps run from 3 to about 17.  For at least half of the guys, the back tees are quite a struggle, but I've never heard anyone that didn't enjoy moving forward one set of tees.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I haven't played the forward tees in a long time. May I'll do that this week since the evening sunset comes sooner and sooner every day, making it hard to finish 9 holes before dark.

@iacas, you award the "Breaking XX" and "Eagle" for playing forward tees, don't you? ;-)

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

If I'm just out by myself, I'll play the forwards as often as not. Of course the home courses forward tees are still over 6000 yards, so its still less than a walk in the park.

I stay off the tips, but otherwise take the cues from whoever I might be playing with.

1 hour ago, jkelley9 said:

I haven't played the forward tees in a long time. May I'll do that this week since the evening sunset comes sooner and sooner every day, making it hard to finish 9 holes before dark.

Yes, if you walk the course you gotta hustle up.   

Only 3 weeks until Daylight Savings. Unofficial end of the season for me, massive bummer.

On 10/17/2016 at 11:08 AM, gregsandiego said:

They can label them "super hero" tees if they want. The "ladies tees" moniker is so ingrained it's not going away.

That's like a course I used to play league at. The owner called the tips the "Tiger" tees!

Note: This thread is 2705 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!