IGNORED

What are Your 2017 Golf Goals?

iacas
Note: This thread is 2357 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My golf goals for this year:

1) Break 90

2) Focus on keeping tee shot playable

3) Quit chipping short

I really need to focus on 2 and 3 to get 1 off the list.  Last year recover shots back to the fairway added a lot to my game, I need to focus on getting my hips around smoothly to make better contact.    My follow through is always short, so my chips are too.   Those 2 problems really add up quick.

And that should do it, right?   All clear to move onto 2018?  Just kidding, that would skip a whole year of golf!

stay with working out every morning before my 9-5 job and stay with working on my short game. working on getting my swing looking like rors and look jus so stable.  do at least five tournaments this year since i know i can play under pressure. staying positive on the outcome of things. even if i don't even play the best that day. eat healthy

WITB:
Taylormade M2 - 10.5º 
Taylormade M2 - 3w 15º
Callaway - Apex CF16 9i-3i
Vokey - 46º F Grind
Taylormade MG - 54º, 60º   
Scotty Cameron - Newport M1  - 4.5º
Taylormade - TP5X #7

My main goal for 2017 is to fulfill my failed 2016 goal of playing more golf.  To make it happen - I joined a golf league.  I'll be playing at least 4 (not highly competitive) tournaments in 2017.

Haven't posted for a while but been busy with the new house and doing upgrades.

Need to get out and play more, my old course shut down last august along with the practice facility last may has caused a depression to set in I had free unlimited range balls 5 minutes away and a beautiful course for free/or very discounted to play anytime gone. The drought has caused such havoc here in CA. I probably should just get a part time job at one of the local courses,

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

If I can play the way I did the last part of 2016 I will be happy to keep hold of a single digit handicap. I am aggressively working out so I do not lose any strength during the winter. I can play occasionally here in the winter since the weather changes so much. I practice a lot. 

16 hours ago, parman said:

If I can play the way I did the last part of 2016 I will be happy to keep hold of a single digit handicap. I am aggressively working out so I do not lose any strength during the winter. I can play occasionally here in the winter since the weather changes so much. I practice a lot. 

Parman... where is it you play?  What part of the world?

On 1/23/2017 at 8:47 AM, Double Mocha Man said:

I live in Prescott, Arizona. It's a town built on top of a mountain. It's high desert country with lots of history. It's been the capitol of Arizona twice. The oldest saloon in Arizona is here in Prescott where 'Junior Bonner' was shot starring Steve McQueen. The weather here is very unpredictable. It can get very windy here. I have woke up to a white day from snow and been on the golf course before the end of the day. It's now cold but will be 60 in a week. 

On 1/23/2017 at 8:47 AM, Double Mocha Man said:

e

I'm starting to get chubby.   In order to continue to play half decent golf, I better drop about 20 pounds, otherwise I will be bigger than Craig Stadler and John DalyImage result for fat golfer

Edited by The Slapper

Went through a roller coaster of a 2016 golf season.  Graduated college and took some time off to golf daily before joining the never-ending abyss that is the american workforce.  Worked my game down to ~8-9 HC.  Then, like an absolute idiot, I got a job and started doing online training sessions all day.  The ride was over and my game went to utter sh*t. (shankapotomus with less confidence in my swing than Charles Barkley)

Life is already much different in 2017.  I moved from rural GA to San Francisco.  The retired life is done, but my goal is to get out enough to keep my game in the 85-88 range.  

With that being said, any SF or Bay area residents that want to show me a course or two let me know!

Was reading the penick little red book and the comment about Harvey telling kite to use all of his irons and wedges to shoot the same target.

Didn't know why, so spending the winter practice doing just that (indoor dome has a number of targets at 35, 50, 75 yards.) 

Having to figure out what to do with a particular club to hit those targets.

Really hoping that transfers to the course this year-bale out shots, pin placements, wind-I believe its giving me many more options

and a minimum of 20 putts a day at home

Hoping for a 3-5 shot reduction this year

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, uitar9 said:

Was reading the penick little red book and the comment about Harvey telling kite to use all of his irons and wedges to shoot the same target.

Didn't know why, so spending the winter practice doing just that (indoor dome has a number of targets at 35, 50, 75 yards.) 

Having to figure out what to do with a particular club to hit those targets.

Really hoping that transfers to the course this year-bale out shots, pin placements, wind-I believe its giving me many more options

and a minimum of 20 putts a day at home

Hoping for a 3-5 shot reduction this year

I read that same thing by Penick many moons ago. I found that using different clubs for the same target was a fun, learning expirience.  It gave me a better insight on how to use those " tools" in my bag in more ways than one.

It also helped to lower my scores on average, because I saw the importance of being able to control my clubs. 

I like Penick's books. Lot's of good info in them for all levels of talent. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

18 hours ago, Patch said:

I read that same thing by Penick many moons ago. I found that using different clubs for the same target was a fun, learning expirience.  It gave me a better insight on how to use those " tools" in my bag in more ways than one.

It also helped to lower my scores on average, because I saw the importance of being able to control my clubs. 

I like Penick's books. Lot's of good info in them for all levels of talent. 

it takes me away from mechanics and more toward feel

Have to check out more Penick writing. 

My goal for this year is to be more competitive in the West Michigan Amateur Tour (i.e. win again!).

To do this I shall:

1. Get fitted for a putter.  I had an irons and woods fitting near the end of last year which made a huge improvement in my game.

2. Make monthly lesson appointments with my first instructor.  She knows my swing and is quick to spot when I deviate from it.

3. Re-read LSW again to improve the way I practice.  Also, re-check my club distances and shot patterns. 

Another masochist ensnared by golf

• Administrator
2 hours ago, tlazzol said:

1. Get fitted for a putter.  I had an irons and woods fitting near the end of last year which made a huge improvement in my game.

You're one of the few people near enough to me that I'll offer to help you with this if you can make the trip out to here. It's about 4 hours from me to Detroit, if that helps anything.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

For 2017 I want to increase clubhead speed. I am currently around 100, I want to average 105-108. 

Michael

My peak in golf was 1980 when I won a couple of local amateur events and shot a course record. Got down to 0.5 in 1989, the lowest I've ever been. Now at the age of 57 and having time on my hands I have gone from 7 to 1.9 in three years. Shot four under gross in my medal this month so I am starting to think just maybe I can get to scratch this year. A couple of Guy's at the club are thinking I could do it too. Would be great to peak at my age and a little bizarre. 

On 12/15/2016 at 10:19 PM, JonMA1 said:

Improve on my weaknesses...

1. Putting

Target:  Average 2 putts per hole for the last half of the season

How: Identify why starting line is off so much. Devote higher percentage of practice time to <6' putts.

2. Short Game

Target: Improve scrambling from 7% to 10%.

How: Work on feel, a bit more practice. Learn to hit from green side bunkers

3. Full Swing

Target: Average <2 penalties per 18 holes, maintain GIR average from 2016.

How: Slightly more practice devoted to woods and driver specifically keys 3 and 4. Continue priority work with irons - key 2.

I don't have a great feeling about 2017, so there's not a lot of optimism regarding any kind of breakthrough. Still, I want to show at least a little improvement.

So for @RandallT and the other FL's and Mods, same deal as last year (but only on the two goals listed below). If I fail, you get to change my Avatar for the entire month of January 2018.

1. I have to break 90 at least once (didn't happen in 2016).

2. My HI has to be below 22.3 on October 1st (was 23.3 in 2016).

Jon

Note: This thread is 2357 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!