IGNORED

What stops you from getting online golf lessons?

JoeB34
Note: This thread is 2699 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was surprised to hear the the golf channels swing fix program shutdown. (Where you could submit a video of your golf swing and a professional would review it and instruct you what to fix)

What stops golfers that need help from getting these online golf lessons? Is it price? Or too much work to upload your swing? Or just an overall feeling that it won't help? Or something else?

15 minutes ago, JoeB34 said:

I was surprised to hear the the golf channels swing fix program shutdown. (Where you could submit a video of your golf swing and a professional would review it and instruct you what to fix)

What stops golfers that need help from getting these online golf lessons? Is it price? Or too much work to upload your swing? Or just an overall feeling that it won't help? Or something else?

I think it's a combination of things. I think people get a better connection with someone they are face to face with. The price is usually better than in person lessons, so I don't think that is it. Overall, I think most people shy away from lessons in general because they reveal problems that need to be fixed when they would rather be told how awesome their swing is. Lessons are, and should be, very humbling. The worst lesson I ever had was from a pro who looked at my swing and said there was nothing wrong with it.

- Shane

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I know, for me, it was the process of setting up to video my swing.  It was a hassle to set my phone up, take a swing or 2, review the video, make any necessary adjustments, and swing again.  Not to mention, if the range is busy, getting a face on video isn't going to happen.  Also, I tend to do better with an in person instructor and immediate feedback, as I am not good with feels and knowing where my hands and arms are, versus where they need to be. 

DJ

Follow me at Game Golf Profile: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/djfajt71 

Swingpal and Athlete Nation closed down too I think. Poor instruction probably. Also easier to set up your own send me your videos service, who needs a go between who takes a percentage?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
13 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Swingpal and Athlete Nation closed down too I think. Poor instruction probably. Also easier to set up your own send me your videos service, who needs a go between who takes a percentage?

Yup.

Evolvr is still going strong, btw.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm lazy, and just don't want to deal with figuring out how to do the swing video on my phone, then send it some where. 

That, and I'm not sure how I might handle identified swing flaws, when the swing being scrutinized actually sent the ball to my chosen landing area. lol

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

11 minutes ago, JoeB34 said:

Do you think this is a completely flawed idea? Or with adjustments, online golf lessons have potential?

Here:

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Evolvr is still going strong, btw.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

I tried evolvr for a month.  Here's why I didn't stick with it:

1.  When you're alone on the range (which I always am (are?)), doing the camera work gets annoying quickly. 

2.  Because it's a monthly fee, I'm paying for 4 uploads/reviews whether I use them all or not.  The monthly cost is actually very reasonable, but it still bugged me that I was only going to get two uploads in because it was taking me time to  work on and improve on the first review and getting decent videos (see #1).   I saw no point in submitting a video each week just to show that I was working on stuff.

3.  I like the back and forth of an in-person lesson.

4.  (The real reason.)  Athletics have never been easy for me; I'm just not a "sports guy" for as much as I like playing them.  So I try for a while, see very slow progress, and fall back on my defense mechanism of not taking it very seriously.  On the plus side, I tend to enjoy my past-times more because I'm doing them strictly for fun.  On the downside, I tend not to get very good at them. :)

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

I came *this* close to signing up for Evolvr.  The *only* thing that stopped me was at that same exact time things really started clicking for me with my in-person teacher and I didn't want to risk a change since I was suddenly making all this progress.  

Probably the only disadvantage to video lessons is the instructor can't physically "put you in positions" . .which has been helpful to me at various times.  Like . .I didn't know how I was going to get there but at least I knew what it was going to look like when I did, lol.  

On the other hand, there is the inherent positive in working on video.  Video is a tremendous help for me.  If I have one criticism about my current teacher it's that he doesn't use video enough . .but, like I said, it's been effective so whatever.  And that's the real essence of it for me . .with the right teacher, you can learn in a variety of ways . . in person, on video, with or without technology.  With the wrong teacher . .you don't.  

For me it's a " too many cooks spoil the soup" thing.  Couple years ago I got in some group lessons. Through that found a pro that communicated stuff to me in an understandable manner.  I trust him. I'm keeping things simple at this point. 

I don't pay much attention to swing tips in golf magazines either. 

Taking the time to setup and record my swing would be #1. Doubting that I'd be able to make enough improvement to make it all worthwhile would be #2.

I am an evolvr student and the only complaint I have about it is that I would like to be able to maybe have 1 less upload a month and in trade of that be able to send some kind of limited # of pm's to my instructor when I don't understand a piece or a movement. Well I have 2 complaints, for me personally I would like it if the instructors would tell me what to do, and then shoot a short video showing me how to do what they want me to do.

@iacas I have an example of what I am talking about in my second wish if you would like me to show you. It was an online lesson I got from an instructor, I really liked how he did it.

If you are to lazy to setup a video and record your swing, then you are probably to lazy to make any real improvement in your swing anyway, so I doubt online lessons would do you good.

I live in an area with few teaching professionals and online instruction is my only real option. That said, I don't like the typical online "upload and feedback" format of instruction because I want my instructor to comment on my swing thoughts in addition to my actions, and that requires a conversation. 

So, I generally FaceTime or Skype with my instructor when I want a lesson. Sometimes I'm in my house and other times at the driving range. I find this format far better than uploading video, but not as good as face to face because my instructor can't physically force my body into positions and that is helpful. Video is also always a function of camera angles, which can sometimes distort reality and it make difficult for my instructor to know exactly what's happening. It's also difficult to view the swing in slow motion over Skype/FaceTime since they don't have that built-in capability. That makes it difficult to confirm swing changes. 

Edited by cartierbresson

What kept me for a long time is quite dumb, looking back on it.  I didn't have a tripod or a way to secure my phone solidly. 

After a couple of not-so-great lessons over the years with instructors locally and zero progress in my swing, I splurged for a tripod! 

Haven't really looked back since.  There are times I go a slightly wrong direction with my piece because I misunderstood or mis-applied the directions given to me (mostly I was lazy or stubborn in not grasping what was said), but that got corrected the next submission. 

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

I am on Evolvr since I started playing golf in 2013 (3 years and 6 months), never been to a real PRO in person. Went from shooting 120 to mid 70. I still see there is a potential to improve based on instructions given from Evolvr. 

• Upvote 2

Note: This thread is 2699 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!