IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

4 hours ago, jlbos83 said:

Four contenders:

Saturday, #12 (I think a Raven in Phoenix, first time there).  In a big greenside bunker, far from the green, pin was deep on the green.  I was about 40 yards from the hole.  Decide to play it as if it was a pitch off hardpan, caught the ball first perfectly, hit it to about three feet, made the birdie putt.

Sunday, #16 at San Ignacio in Green Valley.  Just short of the left greenside bunker in two (thanks to some help from the carpath on the drive).  Not in the bunker, but basically a hardpan lie with sand overspill on it.  About fifty yards back to the hole, hit the same kind of shot to about two feet.  Made the birdie putt.

Sunday #18 at El Rio in Tucson.  two contenders on the same hole.  Drive was a pull hook, rolled and rolled on the hardpan, almost over to the 15th (for those who care) under a tree.  The path directly to the green was well blocked out, so I wanted to hit back into the fairway, but actually make some progress.  I needed par to shoot 89, so I was a bit motivated.  The easy play was straight out, but would have left me well over 200 yards out.  So, I wanted to go over some trees that were maybe 40 or 50 yards away, but on a path towards the 150 stake.  But, if I hit straight over them with any power I was going to go all the way to the other side of the fairway.  So I figured the shot was a seven iron with some draw, over the trees, to somewhere near 150.  I got set up, a little closed, a little strong grip, and started to swing, hit the limbs above me and somehow stopped.  OK, so I need to shorted the backswing, and just take what I get.  I did, and what I got was a perfect shot, over the trees, drawing right down the fairway, and rolling out to about (well, pretty much exactly) 136 to the flag.  It went 175 yards, way more than I hit a seven.  Hard fairway, and hook spin, and really good contact from the shorted backswing (a lesson that I took advantage of on the next shot).  So I take a nine iron, remember the feel of how I just hit the seven, stay perfectly in tempo, bounce in front of the green and roll up to about 10 inches.

The shot to ten inches probably looked the best, but I figure there's a lot of luck in that.  The winner is the seven iron.  I am not a really good player, just got back under a 20 based on yesterday's rounds, so planning and executing a difficult shot as well as that is the clear winner!

By the way, three rounds over the weekend, when it was over 110 degrees out, was a bit crazy!

I should add that I made the last putt for the birdie.  And that made a birdie in three straight rounds.  I know for many of you that is a yawn, but I am pretty sure I have not done it before!

• Like 1

Today, a 196 yard par 3 that plays into the prevailing wind. This hole has been my nemesis since the late 70's. Kid and I get to the tee, ,Range finder  shows it at 192 to the pin. Wind is 12 mph from 11:00. I select the 4 iron from my new T300's., not really knowing what to expect . Aimed just left of the pin and let it go. Ball flew so high I was sure it wouldn't make it there. It did, pitched 6' from the pin dead on line. Bounced forward 2' and just a smidge right. Easy straight in putt I lipped out, of course.

• Like 1

Sunday, 18th hole at Indian Preserve in Mims, Florida.    Par 5.   Nice drive that hung on to the left side of fairway,  any more oomph, possibly roles off into water.   Now 240 yards away with water all the way down tbe left side, im lefty, so kind of intimidating.  Said screw it, im not on vacation to be a wimp.  Took out 3 wood.  Hit it absolutely flush, ball trajectory straight as an arrow going to green,  lands before green, and then runs up to the left of the flag, about 15 feet.    Go for eagle putt, almost went to walk it in and lips out, you son of a.....lol

This course has 2 of those dog legs that suit me. I managed to get close to the green on both but this one was much better because you have trees that start about 30m from the tee box and you need to go over them. Smashed driver and didn’t hear a noise. There is no way to cut it off any further to the right only if you can hit it longer. Pitched to pin high and two putted for par though. 

CF0AB85A-9564-464E-999B-F077974694A4.jpeg

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Shot a 90 Today at the town course which is my 3rd best score ever. Recently acknowledged my decreasing clubhead speed and got a 5 hybrid. OnlY hit it on the range once but had the yardage for it on 15. Didn’t have any great expectations but  Hit it to about 5 feet! (Missed the birdie putt 😞 )

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

Had a great 2nd shot yesterday on #18 on my home course (par 5, 465 yards from the tees I played yesterday), 5i from 200 yards (60 feet uphill). Flushed it and landed it on the fringe short of the pin, it skipped just past the flag and settled just on top of the ridge behind the pin. A yards shorter and it would have rolled back down the slope towards the hole. I missed my eagleputt from here: 

Open Photo   1586413212_hull18.png.af52c2b619135b7494a230a9d8f37a6c.png

, but had an easy tap-in for a nice birdie. An almost perfect way to finish a good round! 

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

Dry fairways are really helping my scores nowadays. This is downhill but my longest drive ever nonetheless. Finally got one past 300 meters, while I hit one just the past round 289m uphill. 

81EA7186-34DA-4E28-AF3B-CCC3101C53E3.png

6F621981-7378-415E-BA22-C1C1858F73AE.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Last night on the second hole I came up a couple yards short of a very long green with a back pin placement.  I was about 120 feet away and chipped with my A-wedge hoping to get close enough to not 3 putt. I carried the ball about halfway and knew it would be close enough for a chance at par but the ball broke about 6 feet right and dropped in the hole for birdie.

War Eagle!

I’d take either my drive or approach on the par-5 7th hole at Old Brockway Golf Course in Kings Beach, CA. Probably my two best swings of the day and week. Missed the eagle putt, but had a tap in birdie. Elevation distance increase is fun.

EB6DD4D3-DA75-4384-A998-26CF34C4D756.png

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

On a tight par 4 I had one of my longest drives of the day, splitting the fairway in half.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

First driver of the day and it was my best one. Went a bit closer to the trees than I planned but went over 300 yards but then got stopped by a greenside bunker. If it went 2 meters further left it would’ve probably reached the green. Ended up with a wierd 25 yard bunker shot that I ended up landing at 20 yards and just short of the green. My putting had been abysmal this round though. 

BC8F9C0C-335E-4AA6-985F-FA7CC28D05CD.png

My best shot of the week so far is my second shot I hit on the 12th at Lonnie Poole. The hole was a 390-yard par 4 from the tees I played, but it was all downhill. I hit a solid 3W down the middle and had about 150 in.

I decided to hit the PW for my approach and took dead aim at the flag. It looked like it was going in all the way, and it finished six inches from the hole for a tap-in birdie. That hole righted the ship after a rough start to the back nine.

I could technically hit a better shot when my brother and I play this afternoon, so I may pay a second visit to this topic later today, but that shot’s gonna be hard to top! 

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Played yesterday with @Big Lex at Watchung Valley Golf Club. Pulled my opening drive 60 yards left and ended up in the rough of the 6th hole, about 170 to the pin. Kept focus on my "swing easy and make center contact" feel and hit a 7i with a little fade onto the green. It ended up about 10' from the hole and I made the putt for birdie.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I hit a decent drive on the long #1 handicap hole. I usually don't have a look at the green on this hole due to my lack of length, but I was close enough to get my 4 hybrid there. So what do I do? I top it and dribble it into the rough, leaving around 125 yards from a lousy lie. I then hit a beautiful nine iron to three feet and make the par. 4 for 3, as they say. 😎

Bill M

• 3 weeks later...

Summer in the Bay Area is really foggy, especially teeing off before 6am. Yesterday was particularly thick, almost no visibility beyond 100 yards, example below:

IMG_1532.thumb.jpg.ceb65ed2edd2bab9659891832fc63703.jpg

I got to the 11th tee a bit down on confidence after scrambling for bogey on the 10th; a pulled drive that got knocked down way short by tree limbs, then a chunky 5-iron approach #1, followed by a slightly less chunky SW approach #2, and then up and down.

The 11th is a tricky 200 yard par-3, made worse by the fog. I aimed where I thought the green was, and flushed a 5-iron. I knew it was a pure strike, but the ball disappeared into the fog so I didn't get much sense of the curvature of the ball flight. It ended up being a great shot, about 2.5 paces past the hole, I'd guess 7-9 feet (historical shots shown below, to illustrate how much I suck at this particular hole). I missed the birdie putt, but this is a hole where par gains strokes.

image.png.a71fbebf1b589e3135ad732fe7da8b9f.png

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

I hit a lot of shots last week and most weren’t very good, but a few were memorable for good reasons. I really struck the ball well for a stretch at Sand Valley and had a couple of eagle attempts, but my favorite shot of the week was on the par 3 14th. From the orange tees it’s 175 to center, slightly downhill. We had a back pin with the wind into us. I hit a 6i that started just left of center with a slight fade that landed soft and ended up 6’ left of the hole. Missed the putt for birdie.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I made some attempts at golf in my two rounds this past week, but the best shot of the week was a scuttle 70 yard chip and run down the hill under the tree of the cart path to just off the green about 25 feet from the hole at the par-5 18th at Afton on Saturday. And I made the putt for birdie, too.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track

Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°

I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110

Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

7th hole hcp 1 (450 yard par 4 playing level) hit my driver about 320 leaving myself 130 in. High draw over the trees and back to the fairway where it widens. Missed the small green just left and nearly chipped it in for birdie. Then proceeded to magnificently miss the comeback putt for par.