IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

I hit a 360 yard drive on Sunday - #12 at Quail Brook. If you hit the ball down the center of the fairway with a draw and carry the hill, it runs down towards the hole. The crest of the hill is 270 from the back tees and that’s where I measured the yardage from. The ball ended up just short of the left greenside bunker.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yesterday on the Par 4 5th at Fenner Hill, I hit a 3H heavy off the tee and had 155 uphill to the green. Hit a 5 iron on and made the birdie putt. On the previous par 3, I hooked my tee shot way left. I pitched from 45 out to 2 feet to make par. Two good holes in a row.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Best shot of the week.... last Thurs. 10th hole... par 5. 

1) rolled tee shot 40 yds.; 2) hit the 2nd shot off the toe of the FW - I mean the toe, not the toe of the clubface - it went about 100 yds right and settled with a 100' pine blocking the next shot. 3) there's a water hazard 200 yds away and the hole goes downhill to into it. 

Club selection - 5H. Shot. Something I'm not good at - an intentional power fade. Result - ball at the very end of the fairway, dead center, total distance 190. 

Next shot 95 yds - 50 degree wedge 15 feet above the hole leaving a 9' putt.

Moral - don't give up on a hole no matter how bad it starts. Distances measured on my Garmin.

Edited by DrvFrShow

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Par-5 8th hole, dogleg left. Blew my drive into penalty area on right side, and after knocking around off some overhanging branches, my best guess to where it crossed was about 120 yards from teeing area.

Dropped on an extreme sidehill lie in clumpy rough, ended up having to place the ball which was about 12 inches above my feet. Attempted to advance the ball as far as I could, but I topped a hybrid about 50 yards, but made it into the fairway.

Laying 4, still about 290 yards from the center of the green, and another sidehill lie with the ball about 8 inches above my feet (at least I was in the fairway). Choked up on 3W to almost the bottom of the grip and hit it pure, rolling out to about 240 yards.

Left me about a 45 pitch to the hole, which I put within 5 feet, but 2-putted for a 7.

• Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Played 9 holes last night and had about 70 yards to pin from a fairway bunker.  Opened up my 50 degree edel and hit it just right to about 6 feet.  Missed the birdie putt though.  

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

486 yard slightly uphill straight away par 5. Today it had 10-20mph or a little towards 8 O'clock quartering tailwind gusting to 30. I hit a 3 wood off the tee, as my driver gets knocked out of the air in a strong tailwind. It turned out better than expected, slightly right of center in the fairway, leaving me 198 to the center of the green. Hit my 9 wood and watched it hit on the slope on the right fringe of the green, bounce hard right and end up in a collection area, about 7' below the surface of the green, about 25 yards from the pin,  Hit my 54 degree degree wedge slightly fanned open well to the right of the pin, scooted up to where I could see and watched as it slowly came down the sloping green, gaining speed as it came down the wind dried hill.........and bang, off the stick, it went back up the hill a foot or so, than came back down again, and curled in for a lucky eagle. Only hole I had under par today but hey..... I'll take it.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Played in a 4 man scramble yesterday, it was our 16th hole of the day and we were 80 yds out in the right edge of the fairway and the hole was cut front right about 4 paces on and 3 off the right and a semi blind shot with a bunker short. My teammates all had missed the green and I was the last to go. There was a 15 mph helping wind, so I was playing a 75yd shot. Clipped it good, it was right in line with the flag, I jumped up in the air as the ball landed and watched it take one bounce and trickle into the cup for an eagle! Of course at the beginning of the day my team decided not to play skins either otherwise that would have been a nice payout for sure.

Had I been playing my own ball I never would have been that aggressive, but my miss from that yardage is a slight push to the right, so I figured even if I did miss the green we'd have 4 chances at a chip and a putt and the rough wasn't very thick or long at all so I wanted to be aggressive and have been practicing my 75 yd shot a lot lately so was very confident and comfortable with the swing length I needed for that shot.

image.png

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Two "best" shots from my last round:

1) #16, par-3, playing 190 yards - thinned a 6-iron pretty bad, but got enough clubface on the ball to get it airborne. The ball flight was a low draw, and it was going straight toward a shallow bunker at the right front of the green. The ball hit the sand in the center of the bunker and somehow bounced/skipped (guess the sand was hard, or the angle of descent facilitated skipping on sand) over the lip, landing on the green and rolling 20 feet past the hole to leave a birdie putt. More lucky than good, but no pictures on scorecards right?

2) #17, par-4 - hooked my drive into the tree line separating the 15th and 17th fairways but caught a bit of a break because the ball hit a tree and bounced back out into the left rough of the hole I was playing. The result was only a 190 yard drive, leaving about 195 yards into the green. My ball lay in some light rough just inside the tree line with overhanging branches obstructing any shot that started left. If I pulled the ball even a touch, it would likely hit something and end up well short. I picked a target line about 1 yard outside the closest and most threatening tree branch, and made my cleanest strike of the round with a 6-iron, a little bit of a push draw, that skirted the tree trouble and dropped softly about 15 feet from the hole.

I missed both birdie putts though. 

• Like 1

-Peter

Had a subpar day on the course today, but I hit a couple of shots with my 6 iron that helped on the mood. 
This shot on the difficult hole 7 was smashed as pure as I can. It ran out of fairway and ended up in the semi, but that felt good. 
I also hit a perfect 6 iron into what actually is the hardest par 3 in Norway, hole 11, a 207 yard par 3 with a big elevation difference, water the first 180 yards and on the right and other trouble to the left. It played into wind today so I decided to hit a cut fade at. It landed 2 feet short of the flag and hit the pin on the first bounce before it settled 6 feet behind the hole. I made the putt for my first 2 on that hole in 15 years. 2A74A58A-D258-430B-A1C8-015F6F2C88F1.thumb.jpeg.8c51450c450c3c6ffc8e00488f702987.jpeg 

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

• 2 weeks later...

Had two chip-in birdies today on difficult par-3 holes.

The first one was a bit lucky. The course was absolutely drenched due to heavy rains, and the hole was cut at a low point on the green. My pitch shot would have rolled 10-15 feet past the hole under normal conditions, but the water on the green killed the speed and the ball one hopped into the hole.

The second one was actually a good shot. I was on an upslope with the green above me, and hit a perfectly weighted pitch that landed on a downslope and rolled into the hole, which was cut on a well drained part of the green.

-Peter

Yesterday. Windy enough we had small craft warnings on the lakes. 179yd par 3. Wind right to left at around 25 mph. I aimed 10 yards right and fanned the blade on my 6 iron open to what would normally be a 5 yard fade. Flushed it.  Ball flew and worked back pitching 2.5' left of the pin, exactly pin high. One big hop and I had 3.5' for bird. Even made the putt.

Mentioned this in “What did you shoot today” thread.  Forgot about this one.

Anyway to be quick, I had my 2nd hole in one today on Pinehurst #8. Hole was playing 145 from the White tees. Had a bit if wind in our faces. Selected my 8 iron.  Swung and it never left the pin, right at it and it landed less than a foot behind the pin and spun back into the hole!

My 1st was October 18th, 2017 on the 17th of #2, so based on that date and todays date my next is due in October 2025.

But then again, who knows!

• Like 1

I was playing in our club's big money tournament (alternate shot) and we were in the hunt. On a hole down the stretch, my partner hit his drive into a fairway bunker, 145 yards from the green. Fairway bunkers are my kryptonite because there is really no way to practice it at our range. But I just made sure to keep my legs quiet and didn't get too steep and I hit a solid shot about 20 feet from the pin. My partner made the putt for a birdie and we went on to finish tied for first place.

I won't get into what happened in the playoff. 😎

• Funny 1

Bill M

My best shot this week was a chip in for par on #18 at Ravens Claw. Hit a good drive that was just off the fairway in heavy soaking wet rough. Second shot went right into more heavy wet rough in front of a greenside bunker. Third shot was a chip over the bunker into more wet heavy rough about 6-8 feet from the pin. The lie was somewhat buried and my feet were well below the ball. Took my PW, choked down and popped it into the hole on one bounce. Great way to end the round after a troublesome hole. 

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G400 Max, 3w: Callaway Steelhead XR, 5W: Callaway Steelhead XR, 3 Hybrid: Callaway Steelhead XR, 4 Hybrid: Callaway Steelhead XR, 5 Hybrid Callaway Steelhead XR, 6-PW: Callaway Rogue, 56° wedge: Callaway Jaws, 60° Sand Wedge: Callaway XR, Putter: S2H2 Paul Runyon

Drove the green on the short par-4 #15 today. Was looking for my ball in the right rough around 280 yards from the tee when I noticed a muddy ball on the green. Seemed too good to be true considering soggy conditions were really limiting roll out today, but walked over and there was my ball, about 2.5 paces from the hole. Made a terrible attempt at eagle but tapped in for a birdie (no complaints).

82A4AFF6-1449-4E96-8EF2-CF18E6AF8520.thumb.png.313c1d577249d9cc762c8488bd8f937f.pngB9F8C8AB-C45C-4A4B-A880-F45BE0E066A9.thumb.png.0a07d43db53f27d3fb689f2af3bb2849.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

Today… played two balls on the front 9 (had the course to myself). Was hitting it pretty well so I decided to hustle through the front again. 

Had a 155 yard shot into a par 4. Smooth 7. Playing a half bag, even irons only… 7 iron is home in the garage! No problem, drew an 8 to about four feet and made the birdie.

Just an 8 iron but I’m not one to draw the ball a lot (though I have been working on it) so this was pretty satisfying!