IGNORED

USGA/R&A Introduce "Modernized" Rules

iacas
Note: This thread is 2234 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

24 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Fair? 

Equitable.  Like situations are treated similarly.  Hitting one "off the reservation" is a worse infraction than hitting into the a hazard on the course.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

27 minutes ago, iacas said:

Absolutely.

Only one of those players hit their ball off the golf course.

Would it make a difference if the course didn't own the body of water.  I'm not saying it would or should, just that I have played some courses, where the pond is owned by the County as one of their stormwater management ponds and another course, the ponds were part of the local wastewater utilities treatment plant disposal process.  

• Upvote 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

• Administrator
48 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

Would it make a difference if the course didn't own the body of water.  I'm not saying it would or should, just that I have played some courses, where the pond is owned by the County as one of their stormwater management ponds and another course, the ponds were part of the local wastewater utilities treatment plant disposal process.  

No. Pebble Beach could mark left of #18 OB if they wanted to do so.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 hours ago, Vinsk said:

So answer this please, a left handed golfer hits a slice off the tee, OB. Stroke and distance. A right hander steps up and slices his tee shot into the lateral hazard. So lefty is hitting 3 from the tees. Righty is hitting 3 200-220 yds further down towards the hole. Fair? 

Yep.  Righty kept his ball on the golf course.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

33 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

Yep.  Righty kept his ball on the golf course.

Yeah...Erik shut my what I thought was such a great example down pretty quick. I stand corrected.

• Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

6 hours ago, Vinsk said:

So answer this please, a left handed golfer hits a slice off the tee, OB. Stroke and distance. A right hander steps up and slices his tee shot into the lateral hazard. So lefty is hitting 3 from the tees. Righty is hitting 3 200-220 yds further down towards the hole. Fair? 

If they both hit a hook, then the righty is OB with stroke and distance and the lefty is the one further down the fairway, so it could go both ways.  This to me makes it fair.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Question: my initial thought was that the concept of "penalty areas" would allow a course (if they chose) to eliminate OB entirely. 

However, I'm realizing that might not be entirely true. If a course has what is a clear boundary (a major road, say) and they mark the course side of it as a "penalty area" and include no white stakes or OB marking, is that assumed to extend indefinitely? Would a ball hit over the road be treated as if it is in the penalty area?

- John

• Administrator

@Hardspoon yes.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

30 minutes ago, iacas said:

@Hardspoon yes.

Well, in that case, I think the proposed new rules eliminate any reason to change OB from stroke-and-distance.  The USGA is now giving courses the option on how they want to treat their boundaries.

- John

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

Well, in that case, I think the proposed new rules eliminate any reason to change OB from stroke-and-distance.  The USGA is now giving courses the option on how they want to treat their boundaries.

Not really. There will be guidelines.

13 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

13 hours ago, iacas said:

Not really. There will be guidelines.

Right now, many courses classify areas as "lateral hazard" even though there's no watercourse involved, even though current guidelines don't allow it.  My home club is one of them.  I'm sure that if the proposed rules are put into effect, some courses will disregard whatever guidelines are published.  Just as you can't make rules to stop players from cheating, you can't do much to force individual clubs to follow the guidelines.  The fact that some clubs disregard guidelines shouldn't deter the USGA from making these changes.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• 5 months later...

Review process is done.

The R&A and USGA highlighted three key areas from the review process:

“Golfers are enthusiastic about the scope and direction of the overall changes, such as pace-of-play improvements, the elimination of penalties and streamlined procedures.

“Golfers provided the most feedback on the proposed Rules changes focused on the putting green (such as putting with the flagstick left in the hole, repairing spike marks and eliminating the penalty for accidentally moving a ball); the creation of “penalty areas” (extending water hazard type relief and eliminating penalties for moving loose impediments and grounding a club); and the new dropping procedures (including the size of “relief areas”).

“Golfers strongly welcomed the new Player’s Edition of the Rules and found it much easier to read and understand.”

http://golfweek.com/2017/09/07/review-process-complete-as-ra-usga-prepare-to-deliver-changes-to-rules-of-golf/

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Review process is done.

The "user" review process (and feedback period) is done.

The USGA/R&A are still reviewing.

randa_281.jpg  USGA_Logotype_Spot_2c.jpg

USGA and The R&A Receive Extensive Feedback in Global Program to Modernize Golf's Rules

FAR HILLS, N.J., USA and ST ANDREWS, SCOTLAND (September 7, 2017) - The USGA and The R&A have received comments on the proposed new Rules from more than 22,000 golfers in 102 countries, as well as representatives of golf organizations throughout the world, providing valuable feedback as the organizations work toward their implementation on January 1, 2019. 

With the worldwide survey and evaluation period now complete, the USGA and The R&A and their respective committees will continue to review all comments received with the goal of finalizing the new Rules next spring and beginning a comprehensive education program later in 2018. 

The USGA and The R&A began an extensive review of the Rules starting in 2012, with the intent of making them easier to understand and apply. A draft of the new Rules – reduced from the current 34 to a proposed 24 Rules – was released in March, beginning the six-month feedback period that was open to the entire golf community.

“After listening to golfers and reviewing the extensive comments, one thing is very clear – we all share a passion for the game and are eager to be a part of this process,” said Thomas Pagel, USGA senior director of Rules and Amateur Status. “We appreciate everyone who took time to provide their thoughts and insights. They have been very helpful and encouraging.”

David Rickman, Executive Director – Governance at The R&A, said, “It is pleasing to see that so many people from different parts of the world have taken this opportunity to engage with the process of modernizing the Rules. We have received insightful comments and suggestions from throughout the professional and amateur game and will take time to consider the feedback in detail. We will then work on finalizing the changes ahead of their implementation in 2019.”

While the feedback will continue to be analyzed over the next few months, several common themes emerged, including: 

• Golfers are enthusiastic about the scope and direction of the overall changes, such as pace-of-play improvements, the elimination of penalties and streamlined procedures.

• Golfers provided the most feedback on the proposed Rules changes focused on the putting green (such as putting with the flagstick left in the hole, repairing spike marks and eliminating the penalty for accidentally moving a ball); the creation of “penalty areas” (extending water hazard type relief and eliminating penalties for moving loose impediments and grounding a club); and the new dropping procedures (including the size of “relief areas”).

• Golfers strongly welcomed the new Player’s Edition of the Rules and found it much easier to read and understand. 

The current 2016 edition of the Rules of Golf remains in effect when playing, posting scores or competing until the Jan. 1, 2019 adoption of the new Rules.  

For more information on the proposed new Rules of Golf, see usga.org or randa.org.

2 minutes ago, iacas said:
  • Golfers provided the most feedback on the proposed Rules changes focused on the putting green (such as putting with the flagstick left in the hole, repairing spike marks and eliminating the penalty for accidentally moving a ball); the creation of “penalty areas” (extending water hazard type relief and eliminating penalties for moving loose impediments and grounding a club); and the new dropping procedures (including the size of “relief areas”).

Hmmmmmmm.

• 4 months later...
(edited)

This morning, I attended an golf education seminar and the topic was evolution of the rules.  The leader was a rules official and a member of some committee within the USGA I think.  Anyway, I asked about the proposed rules changes, particularly about the flagstick.  He said that all proposed rules are very likely, at this point, to go through, including the flagstick rule.  When I mentioned the data about making it easier to sink putts and reduce skill involved, etc., he said the decision on whether to keep this rule will not involve this likelihood of making more putts. It's purely about trying to increase pace of play.  He wanted to make it clear that the rules are changing/evolving pretty consistently, so some of these rules may go away after we see what happens, some may not.

He talked about the Dustin Johnson and Lexi Thompson rulings.  He started with the guy sipping beer making a phone call from his couch crap, which bugged the heck out of me.  But, he didn't really have an answer when we came to "intent."  He basically said yeah it may or may not be a problem.  But the rarity of these situations causes him/them to say it won't be a problem in the future, because they'll have officials monitoring the TV's.  He said that the LPGA in 2017 did not have officials monitoring the broadcasts, but there are on the other tour(s).  For the 2018 season and beyond, they will have officials in the booth.

In regards the bifurcation, he said there is no talk what so ever about it (good!).  I got some questions answered, but I have more, of which I don't think he would've been able to answer.  The problem right now is integrity of the game versus integrity of the player.  As he said, the process and the rules evolve.  We are just going through one of these phases.

Edited by phillyk

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

• Administrator

One of my concerns with the flagstick rule is that this can SLOW play further as different people want it in or out.

15 minutes ago, iacas said:

One of my concerns with the flagstick rule is that this can SLOW play further as different people want it in or out.

I think it will slow play down. There's a Colorado Golf Association rules official (he might be the CGA Head Rules Official) in my men's club who believes you'll make more putts with the flagstick out. He's not the only one, and PGA Tour players take the flagstick out all the time. Which means you'll have people you want it in and people who want it out int he same group. And, slower play.

Edited by DeadMan

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

11 hours ago, DeadMan said:

PGA Tour players take the flagstick out all the time.

Assuming you meant when on the green, I should hope so. Penalty problems otherwise.

7 minutes ago, Rulesman said:

Assuming you meant when on the green, I should hope so. Penalty problems otherwise.

Yeah, that's what I meant. People see this now and take the flagstick out for shots off the green routinely. I expect that to continue when you don't have to take the flagstick out anymore.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 2234 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!