IGNORED

2017 Newport Cup Selection Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 2417 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Congrats @coachjimsc and @Golfingdad

I think you guys should also play each other in the first round.
Too bad first round are not individual matches....

Maybe the Captain's will take a hint and have the first round singles matches with pairing by round selection "picks"

• Upvote 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Heyyyy congrats!

• Upvote 2

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Club Rat said:

Maybe the Captain's will take a hint and have the first round singles matches with pairing by round selection "picks"

That makes no sense, @Club Rat. We're not going to start off with singles and we're not going to be obliged to set things in the order of selection, either. Heck, I only had one choice.

C'mon… ;-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Congrats guys! 

• Upvote 2

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Congrats to both of you. Well deserved!

• Upvote 2

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

17 hours ago, coachjimsc said:

Wow thank you Erik @iacas.

I am truly honored and humbled by being the first or any selection for that matter. (it was the blue shirt attire that put me over the top wasn't it.) ;-)

I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the selections over the coming months and meeting everyone in Oct.

Congratulations to @Golfingdad on his selection as well.

Go East team!

Your family must be so proud!:-P

step.jpg

• Upvote 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

This thread, to me, is still the big news of the week.  Couldn't the USGA/R&A have delayed their announcement for a few days, to let the announcement of the first two Newport Cup players have the spotlight for a little longer?  I don't care nearly as much about the potential changes to the rules (although I bet I've posted nearly a dozen times in one thread or another).  I'm just posting this to bring it back onto the "New Content" page.  

And lest there be any confusion, I'm at least half-way joking, although the Newport Cup really IS a more exciting topic than the rules.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

9 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

And lest there be any confusion, I'm at least half-way joking, although the Newport Cup really IS a more exciting topic than the rules.

And the cup will happen 2 years before the rule changes will! 

Again, go West Coast!  :dance:

East Coast has not chance really; we have the weather, the PwC executives who tweet rather than doing their ONE job, $1 more per gallon of gas, and the new Apple headquarters!

A friend of mine here at work made a countdown calendar for me.

20170302_101209.thumb.jpg.8aa0d4e854fcb555a69b0fba6eb84c12.jpg

So the 19th of every month I cut off a loop.

We have one for our Myrtle Beach trip in August as well. But this one is just for me. :-D

Go East!

• Upvote 3

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

10 minutes ago, coachjimsc said:

A friend of mine here at work made a countdown calendar for me.

20170302_101209.thumb.jpg.8aa0d4e854fcb555a69b0fba6eb84c12.jpg

So the 19th of every month I cut off a loop.

We have one for our Myrtle Beach trip in August as well. But this one is just for me. :-D

Go East!

Very nice! 

You could go "new" school:  Countdown clock

Clock.PNG.a10afe16076582a5219ff6be806090ba.PNG

• Upvote 4

48 minutes ago, bmartin461 said:

You could go "new" school:  Countdown clock

Clock.PNG.a10afe16076582a5219ff6be806090ba.PNG

Very cool. Thank you sir. 

Jim Morgan

• 4 weeks later...

Approximately 24 hours until the next selections.

A little more suspenseful this time with multiple applicants for the captain's to choose from. 

Good luck to all.

Jim Morgan

• Administrator

The Second Selection for the 2017 Newport Cup, East Coast (Blue) Team is…

Emma Stone, La La Land! No, not really.
@DaveP043!

I had my choice of a few people this time around, as the weather has warmed and people have started to get out. That's been good. Those who were strongly considered for a pick this month included @jsgolfer, @bkuehn1952, and @NCGolfer. I have four selections left.

• Dave has recently begun working on his game, but as a mid-single-digit guy, he plays a steady predictable game that can frustrate the opposition.
  • Dave has been a member here at TST since only the beginning of 2015, but he is passionate about the game of golf, posts frequently, and earns a lot of thumbs up from his fellow members! With 2750 posts, he has over 1000 reputation points, for what will surely be one of the highest ratios.
  • Dave is very local, as he has a condo on the property, and so his local knowledge will come in handy. So will his loyalty… as he's hereby forbidden from being his usual helpful self toward current and possible members of the West Team.
  • Though I plan to select mostly new players, the super-local knowledge aspect was too strong to ignore.
  • Dave knows his liquor and alcohol well enough to keep the East Team sober, while tricking the West Team into drinking themselves into an easy defeat. He's sly like a fox.
  • Dave has even begun working on his game, and started a Member Swing topic.

So, all that said… Welcome again, Dave, to the 2017 Newport Cup East Team! We're happy to have you, again.

To everyone else, keep getting your submissions ready and post them when you can. @mvmac and I will be making our next selections on April 30.

Also… if you're interested in being a candidate (for either team, but particularly so for the East Team), please let me know ASAP! Until the last team member is chosen, it's not too late.

• Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The Second Selection for the 2017 Newport Cup, West Coast (Red) Team is…

@Pretzel

Red Team

Tyler joined TST in 2013 and has gone from a 5 handicap to a +1 in the past couple years. He'll most likely be the lowest handicap on either team.

This will be his first Newport Cup and I'm excited to have him be on the team. Tyler is a great member of TST and will be the Red Team's young gun against all the old farts on the Blue Team :-P

With the Newport Cup, the morning match tee times are early and we typically stay up late so I'm predicting Tyler will play his best golf since the first time he broke 70 was when he only had an hour of sleep the night before.  

Welcome to the team Tyler and let's have a great time in Pinehurst! :beer:

@iacas and I will be making our next selection on April 30. So to everyone else, please keep posting your submissions. You don't want to miss a chance at playing in this great event!

If you're interested in being a candidate for the Red Team, let me know ASAP! Until the last team member is chosen, it's not too late to get picked.

• Upvote 3

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Way to go @DaveP043 and @Pretzel

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

The Second Selection for the 2017 Newport Cup, East Coast (Blue) Team is…Emma Stone, La La Land! No, not really.
@DaveP043!

• Dave knows his liquor and alcohol well enough to keep the East Team sober, while tricking the West Team into drinking themselves into an easy defeat. He's sly like a fox.

So, all that said… Welcome again, Dave, to the 2017 Newport Cup East Team! We're happy to have you, again.

Thanks, Erik, its an honor to join you and @coachjimsc on the winning East team.  And congratulations to @Pretzel, I'm looking forward to meeting you, and competing against you.  

I'm not so sure I can help keep anyone else sober, but I do plan to keep myself mostly under control.  But I'm certainly more than willing to direct the West team to all of my favorite bars, and may even buy them a round or two, if that helps our team.

• Upvote 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Congratulations @DaveP043 and @Pretzel. Welcome to your respective teams. Looking forward to meeting you both.

Jim Morgan

Note: This thread is 2417 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!