IGNORED

2017 Newport Cup Selection Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 2456 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Congrats to both @DaveP043 and @Pretzel, but mostly to Tyler, because, well ...

16 minutes ago, iacas said:

as he's hereby forbidden from being his usual helpful self toward current and possible members of the West Team.

I guess we'll resume being friends in November. :-P:beer:

Seriously though, congratulations to you both!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, Golfingdad said:

I guess we'll resume being friends in November. :-P:beer:

I'd suggest that there's a difference between being helpful and being friends. :beer:

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Great picks by both Captains this month....

Congrats @Pretzel and hope you enjoy the experience of playing a Newport Cup.

Congrats to my friend Dave also, way to go @DaveP043 :beer:

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

2 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Congratulations @DaveP043 and @Pretzel!

Bring home the bacon Dave...

Ditto! Two very deserving applicants :dance:

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Congrats @DaveP043 and @Pretzel!! 

:beer:

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

2 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Great selections for both teams although clearly the West is rather lagging in the experience department.;-)  Play well, @DaveP043 and @Pretzel.

I'd guess that the average age of our team as it stands is probably around 20 years less than the average age of the East team.  Is that what you mean by our "lack of experience?" :-P

35 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I'd guess that the average age of our team as it stands is probably around 20 years less than the average age of the East team.  Is that what you mean by our "lack of experience?" :-P

The good news is I'd guess that the average drive for the red team as it stands is probably around 20 yards longer than the blue team though, so we've at least got that going our way.

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

The good news is I'd guess that the average drive for the red team as it stands is probably around 20 yards longer than the blue team though, so we've at least got that going our way.

Haha, at minimum. :P

• Upvote 1

Just catching up on everything after a vacation. Worthy choices! Congrats to @Pretzel and @DaveP043!

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Today's selection, and the third member of the East (Blue) Team…

• Has participated in the previous versions of the Newport Cup.
  • Has had relatives participate in previous versions of the Newport Cup.
  • Has lived in the general area of this year's Newport Cup for almost 20 years, so travel and the local knowledge will be a big factor in helping the East Team to victory.
  • Has won a club championship at a course that has hosted a major championship as well as a long-time (now defunct) Senior PGA Tour event.
  • Has a roughly scratch handicap index.
  • Will hit a draw on just about every shot he faces…
  • Can tell you all about database design.
  • Has been a staff member and written many, many product reviews, as well as a number of The Numbers Game columns.
  • Wishes that the Newport Cup was in Spain this year.
  • Will perhaps fund the Newport Cup's trip to Spain in 2019…
  • And finally… has a GAME GOLF profile here

Yes, that's right, the third member of the blue team is…

@NCGolfer (Dave Koster)!!!

Welcome to the team!!!

If you're on the eastern side of the U.S., have a handicap index at or below 9.0 (or will by August), and would like to be considered for the East Team, please let me know ASAP! It's never too late until we choose the sixth member of the team!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The Third Selection for the 2017 Newport Cup, West Coast (Red) Team is…

@phillyk

Red Team

Phil joined TST in 2011 and is one of the better players on the forum with a 0.6 index. I re-watched his Vlog last night and was impressed by some of the shots he hit.

Phil is from Washington state so if it rains in Pinehurst he'll be right at home ;-) This will be his first Newport Cup and I look forward to having him be a part of the team. 

Welcome to the team Phil and let's have a great time in Pinehurst! :beer:

@iacas and I will be making our next selection on May 31st. So to everyone else, please keep posting your submissions. You don't want to miss a chance at playing in this great event!

If you're interested in being a candidate for the Red Team, let me know ASAP! Until the last team member is chosen, it's not too late to get picked.

• Upvote 2

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Note: This thread is 2456 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!