IGNORED

Ian Poulter Watch

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Poulter Watch  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Will Ian Poulter earn enough $$$ to keep his card?

EEan will shit the bed. Miss the cut. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think he's going to do it...unfortunately.  Dude rubs me the wrong way like others here.  It's not a EU/Ryder Cup hate.  I really like Luke Donald and some other Euro golfers quite a bit.

Poulter has another level of douche in him.  On and off the course.  I kinda liken it to Bubba Watson.  I use to like him but I really don't care for the way he acts on the course...nothing is his fault, very twitchy and blames a lot of things on outside factors (see: mudball).  At least Bubba off the course seems to be a guy that doesn't flaunt things and has a good time.  Just don't see it with Poulter.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

I want to like a tour player who started his career selling Mars bars in the pro shop and giving lessons to juniors for £5 a pop or what have you...but then, unfortunately, the pro in question turns out to be Ian Poulter.

To be fair, though, it takes a special type of talent to be a person who recounts a story in which he had an argument with Colin Montgomerie which culminated in him telling Monty to, "F**k off," and the take away from that story is that the reader feels a new-found compassion for Colin Montgomerie.

Post masters media hangover now includes caring or not if Ian Poulter wins 31k in a tournament.. :-$

I mean..sure..why not? That limey bastard can make the cut, right? 

Edited by Groucho Valentine

• Administrator
1 hour ago, skydog said:

Would love to hear more about this...

Pretty easy to Google it.

That's just one of many tales. Suffice to say he has a reputation among tournament volunteers, the PJs, and others.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, iacas said:

You've likely never really interacted with him.

I voted no.

Fingers crossed.

True.  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

2 hours ago, iacas said:

That's just one of many tales. Suffice to say he has a reputation among tournament volunteers, the PJs, and others.

Got it. Not surprising, but hadn't actually heard any of that before.

There's a thread on here about the time Poulter got angry with Matsuyama for slamming a putter. He was a real arrogant shithead about it, and that turned me against him permanently.

Also, having watched him in person at the PGA a few years back, I can say that his general demeanor is... unpleasant. 

I voted No. 

Edited by jbishop15

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

5 hours ago, iacas said:

Pretty easy to Google it.

Okay, wasn't aware of this, or any of the other stuff about him. But then, I don't really follow the tour that closely.

Unfortunately, his acting like a spoiled brat doesn't garantee he won't retain his card................

Chris.:roll:

Can't remember who said it but one of the big names said there are a lot of guys on tour who do not play to win but do just enough to make big money and/or keep their cards.  I would put Poulter in that category.  He has been able to cash in big with an average game (when comparing to other tour players) and a clothing gimmick that got him enough attention to get endorsements.  If not for the Ryder Cup performances, his career would not even be a talking point.  Not a fan, but have to give him a ton of credit.  He found a way to market himself and has made a very good living with it.

Appears his time in the Golf limelight is about to run out.  

I can't believe that he started by working in a golf shop selling equipment to actual people.  He actually had to (I think) treat them with respect.

• Upvote 1

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Question for the brain trust...

If he falls short, is he completely done, or can he subsequently continue to work to make up the difference if he were to be granted sponsor exemptions or otherwise qualify for entry into other tournaments this year?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

If he falls short, is he completely done, or can he subsequently continue to work to make up the difference if he were to be granted sponsor exemptions or otherwise qualify for entry into other tournaments this year?

In terms of the medical exemption he's on he would be done but I'm sure he could still get sponsors exemptions and try to earn his card back by winning or earning enough money points.

There is also the option is using the career money exemption.

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/geoff-ogilvy-use-career-money-exemption-get-through-bad-patch

• Upvote 2

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

3 hours ago, NCGolfer said:

I can't believe that he started by working in a golf shop selling equipment to actual people.  He actually had to (I think) treat them with respect.

Customer service in the UK is a little bit different than the US. Let's just leave it that at...

I don't like Poulter, at all. But I don't really care if he gets his PGA Tour card back or not. Won't miss him, but I don't think the PGA Tour will be worse off with him playing.

Only thing I wanted to point out is that you are all actually really underrating how good of a player he was from about 2008-2012. He won 2 WGCs in that time, and he finished top 10 in 3 of the 4 majors in 2012. It's not a top 10 golfer type resume, but it compares favorably to a guy like Keegan Bradley or Jason Dufner. Or hell, he's had a better career than Luke Donald. And this is without mentioning the Ryder Cup stuff.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 2522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!