IGNORED

Lydia Ko fires caddie #9

GolfLug
Note: This thread is 2232 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I had not noticed or have kept up until this recent news. I know caddies aren't the talent but this really baffles me. Is this frequency normal? Wonder what the vetting process is in the first place.

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not her caddies' fault she changed her swing.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

No, its uncommon in this era. But I've been by a former touring pro that it wasn't uncommon for a player to go through 4-5 caddies a year back in the 70's and 80's. I haven't read much about Ko but what I've read has suggested she's really micromanaged by her parents. The firing of caddies could be a part of all that. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine

(edited)

I could see hiring someone that you quickly find out you just don't mesh with. But 9??  At some point you have to start thinking "maybe it's me...."

Edited by TN94z
  • Upvote 1

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

From the caddie:

"In all honesty, there is no communication in the whole camp. You never know anything or are told anything," said Matthews. "The agent [Michael Yim of IMG] called me on the Monday after Palm Springs and said, 'She needed a change, we’re going with somebody else, but you can caddie in Hawaii.'

"I’m like well, never in 19 years have I been fired, and I’m still working for the person. What was so strange for me, we worked unbelievably well in Hawaii, the communication and everything was just phenomenal."

"I wish her the best, but she’s gone through so many caddies, she needs to wake up on caddie-player relationships," said Matthews. "Otherwise she’ll just keep doing it."

"I was like, 'This is a bit strange; I didn't think I did that bad of a job.'"

"I feel like I am the best, that’s how I look at myself. I took the job when she was No. 1 in the world," Matthews said. "It's what I strive for and thrive for."

From David Leadbetter: (referring to her parents)

"They tell her when to go to bed, what to eat, what to wear, when to practice and what to practice," he said. "And they expect her to win every tournament. They are good people, who love their daughter and want the very best for her ... but they are naive about golf. And at some point, they've got to let the bird fly from the nest. I would often think, 'It's not easy coaching three people.'"

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

No, its uncommon in this era. But I've been by a former touring pro that it wasn't uncommon for a player to go through 4-5 caddies a year back in the 70's and 80's. I haven't read much about Ko but what I've read has suggested she's really micromanaged by her parents. The firing of caddies could be a part of all that. 

4 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

From the caddie:

From David Leadbetter: (referring to her parents)

Not surprised. If my daughter were Lydia, I'd probably be being accused of this type of thing as well even though I know it's my wife that would be doing all the actual micromanagement. :whistle:

All I can say is, when she does get married, it'd better be to someone with a heck of a lot of patience. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

9 is a bit excessive. What seasoned and successful caddie is going to entertain the idea of 6 months employment with her?  The pool of really good caddies available to her may shrink. I am sure there will always be many willing to loop for her but it may bite back if she and her over controlling parents can't get a grip on reality. 

• Upvote 1

This thing bears a striking resemblance to an old guilty pleasure movie, The Cutting Edge.  D.B. Sweeney as the latest caddie, Moira as Lydia.

"You people are all excuses.  Gotta find that "go-to" guy, huh?  You shoulda started with a go-to girl!"

• Upvote 5

22 minutes ago, Gator Hazard said:

9 is a bit excessive. What seasoned and successful caddie is going to entertain the idea of 6 months employment with her?  The pool of really good caddies available to her may shrink. I am sure there will always be many willing to loop for her but it may bite back if she and her over controlling parents can't get a grip on reality. 

I doubt that it'll happen, but it would be fun to hear about the first time she offers the job to someone and they tell her "thanks, but no thanks..."!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Something is clearly off here. I thought dumping Leadbetter was right the move (to my untrained eye, he butchered her swing), but having 9 caddies as 19 years old is a red flag. Wild guess is that she needs to do some maturing. Even the most mature 17 year old isn't ready to handle the rigors of professional golf, let alone being the best player in the world. It makes sense that her parents would be helping her so much, and I can't really blame them. As she gets older, hopefully she can figure out more things on her own and move towards that.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

1 hour ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I think (from reading Four Iron in the Soul) that a large part of the high turnover was also the fact that caddies dropped out far more often due to the semi-professional conditions and issues with traveling.

If you haven't read it, do - it's well worth a look.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Michelle Wie is notorious for going through caddies as well.  Nicklaus had Angelo on the bag for over 20 years!

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Can't be all about the parents. Maybe it's the young Ms. Ko who complains about the ill fitting piece of clothing every time she misses the cut and expect dad to do something about it.

Wonder if the good caddies will start naming their own terms - A min 2 year contract.. AND I get the weekends off.. ha ha.

Vishal S.

22 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Mamas' don't let your babies grow up to be caddies
Don't let 'em pick golf or haul those old bags
Let 'em be doctors and lawyers and such
Mamas' don't let your babies grow up to be caddies
'Cause they'll never stay home and they're always alone
And fired by golfers who suck.

Brilliant!  

I wonder who the next sucker is that will agree to pick up her bag?  I'd stay clear of that one.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

6 minutes ago, cipher said:

Brilliant!  

I wonder who the next sucker is that will agree to pick up her bag?  I'd stay clear of that one.

I doubt it would be that hard. There's gotta be a decent amount of caddies for lower level LPGA players who are struggling to get by. Why not take a chance with Ko, considering it will pay a lot better and more consistently? If you get fired quickly, you didn't lose much. And maybe you're the one that's sticks around.

I agree, though, that any established caddy isn't going to work for her.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Note: This thread is 2232 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!