IGNORED

The Fifth Major - 2017 Players Championship

Wally Fairway
Note: This thread is 2509 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 hours ago, MuniGrit said:

How have so many great champs won this tournament if this course produces random unknown names on leaderboard? That is a made up narrative.

I love JB's response to winning this. He said it doesn't make much of a difference. If he wins he will live in same house and drive same car. If he loses he will live in same house and drive same car.

Yeah but that response is also a reason he wasnt gonna win tournament. You gotta have the fire in the belly and he doesnt. Think they said earlier alot of guys were treating it just like another trny and then  they said them guys never do anything.

Wow, what a shot from Poulter on 18!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good win for the kid. Happy for him. A bit disappointed in the final round. Not a lot of excitement. Was hoping for some more drama. Just never happened. Good for Poulter, though, who should now be safe.

• Upvote 1

JB Holmes shoots 84 with 4 birdies!  :-O :doh:

In David's bag....

Well played by Kim but pretty dull in the end. The fact that there have only been a handful of comments says everything about the "major" status of the tournament. It's a great tournament but nothing more, and the needless hype does it no favours. Like the FedEx Cup, only the bank managers and close associates cares who wins.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, weekend hacker1 said:

Well played by Kim but pretty dull in the end. The fact that there have only been a handful of comments says everything about the "major" status of the tournament. It's a great tournament but nothing more, and the needless hype does it no favours. Like the FedEx Cup, only the bank managers and close associates cares who wins.

:-\

In David's bag....

I don't know if I would call it a "5th major," but the winnings are pretty major.  

5 year PGA Tour exemption, 3 year exemption into the Masters, US Open and the [British] Open, 1.8 million dollars, etc etc etc. 

It's a very big tournament.    And, it's arguably the hardest tournament to win because it has the strongest field of any tournament. 

If it is the fifth major than the tour is in trouble because I'm guessing ratings were abysmal yesterday.

Quirky, gimmicky course that once again produced a weird leaderboard and uninspiring final round.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Marty2019 said:

I don't know if I would call it a "5th major," but the winnings are pretty major.  

5 year PGA Tour exemption, 

Isn't it a 10 year exemption?

Trollin' is the life

10 hours ago, skydog said:

If it is the fifth major than the tour is in trouble because I'm guessing ratings were abysmal yesterday.

Quirky, gimmicky course that once again produced a weird leaderboard and uninspiring final round.

Never a good thing when your winner is unheard of, shows no emotion and needs a translator after the round. Like I said, good for the kid. I'm sure he's a great kid, but for the audience, it was boredom and it defintely didn't do the game any good yesterday. Just no drama whatsoever down the stretch and was lacking major star power outside of Oosthuizen.

Great golf from Kim but boy he looks bored to death..and why doesn't he already speak English? ...I heard he has played a lot of pro events for a 21yrs old..

I never watch anymore except for majors.  Usually there's just little drama.  I saw someone said Kim only hit seven greens final round?  Is that true?  Meh,  the guys are just too rich now for what they do.  At least I think in the majors they are trying.

20 hours ago, MuniGrit said:

Isn't it a 10 year exemption?

5 year PGA tour exemption and 3 year entry into majors (Masters, US Open and the Open)

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

12 hours ago, Hategolf said:

and why doesn't he already speak English?

Does he have to?

Colin P.

Of course plenty of superstars have won the tournament and Brandel has a tendency to speak in absolutes and hyperbole, but there's some truth to his comments here. I know some will just dismiss them because of who's making them, but IMO this course essentially neuters the best players in the world.

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2017/5/14/brandel-after-kims-victory-distance-constrictions-make-tpc-s.html

6 minutes ago, skydog said:

Of course plenty of superstars have won the tournament and Brandel has a tendency to speak in absolutes and hyperbole, but there's some truth to his comments here. I know some will just dismiss them because of who's making them, but IMO this course essentially neuters the best players in the world.

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2017/5/14/brandel-after-kims-victory-distance-constrictions-make-tpc-s.html

The course was perfect ! Risk/reword all over the place.
The amount of wind over the tournament and the really dry green not holding properly the approach shots makes GIR harder to hit in consecuence more up/down attemps, the one with a sharp short game will have and advantage. But the one with a sharp approach game to the green in windy conditions or the one with accurate tee shots too.

Generally the PGA it´s a putting contest. All the players in contention are playing tee to green pritty the same, the one who holes more putts wins the tournament.

All the time people said that courses are too short for the distances the Pro hit their drives. Well this course been short make them think twice before picking the driver or a safer club. Love it !

12 hours ago, Hategolf said:

Great golf from Kim but boy he looks bored to death..and why doesn't he already speak English? ...I heard he has played a lot of pro events for a 21yrs old..

Does he not speak English at all or just not very good English?  Ichiro Suzuki has always spoken relatively good English but when he spoke to the press he always used an interpreter to avoid any possible mistakes/misunderstandings. 

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Note: This thread is 2509 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!