whip_it_out

Do You Prefer to Walk or Ride?

Do you prefer to walk or ride? (on a walk-able course)  

103 members have voted

1. 1. If you're playing 9 holes, do you prefer to walk or ride?

• Walk
    • Ride
    • Either is fine, depends on my mood, playing partners, or some other reason
  2. 2. If you're playing 18 holes, do you prefer to walk or ride?

• Walk
    • Ride
    • Either is fine, depends on my mood, playing partners, or some other reason
  3. 3. If/when you walk, do you feel that you score better, worse, or no difference?

• Score better when I walk
    • Score worse when I walk
    • No difference in score when I walk

263 posts / 32230 viewsLast Reply

Push cart mafia for life. Seriously no reason to carry unless the course is abnormally hilly (even then I still push) or you want the extra workout, especially with picking it up and putting it down with each shot. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We might consider merging this brand new thread with this other not-very-old thread

That said, I use a motorized trolley, I neither carry nor push (or pull), yet I still get my 7 miles or so of walking in.

The layout of my home course - long stretches between greens and tees - makes walking slower than riding. So I ride when playing in a group. I much prefer walking, however, so I sometimes check with the Clubhouse and can usually find a tee time that allows me to walk without causing delays to other players. I find that my solo walking pace about matches that of the typical riding foursome. In the summer I use a push cart so that I can haul plenty of water, towels, etc Otherwise, a Sunday bag does the trick.

I walk with a pull cart....I do like to carry my bag and I use to ........but I'm getting older and carrying 3 bottles of water also adds to the weight....when I was young my dad said "REAL" golfers carry their bags....only POSERS pull a golf cart....OLD SCHOOL baby!

I HATE riding in a golf cart...I rarely cart unless it's a cart mandatory course or a corporate/charity event......luckily.....it doesn't get hot enough here for me to warrant riding in a golf cart.......even though I wear a plastic ankle/foot orthotic and have some paralysis in my right leg....all from a skiing accident 33 years ago.

Nothing beats walking for exercise. I will walk with a push or pull cart as long as I can. I find the course much more enjoyable that way. Years ago, a couple of my partners played Pebble Beach. They took a cart; I walked. I got to see and experience the course down the middle, and they took the cart paths, which are way outside the holes for the most part. I think my Pebble Beach "experience" was much better then theirs! 

It’s going to be another 95 degree day with over 90% humidity so taking cart for sure.
 Happy 4th. 

We all walk in Ireland, it is never too hot, quite the opposite really. I use a push cart, I like the extra calorie burn, I’m trying to get lean at the moment and two rounds a week burns an extra 2-3000 calories so it has added benefits

3 hours ago, Nail said:

We all walk in Ireland, it is never too hot, quite the opposite really. I use a push cart, I like the extra calorie burn, I’m trying to get lean at the moment and two rounds a week burns an extra 2-3000 calories so it has added benefits

I was gonna call BS on those figures for calories burned but I looked it up, I'm honestly very surprised it burns that many calories.

On 7/5/2020 at 4:18 PM, colin007 said:

I was gonna call BS on those figures for calories burned but I looked it up, I'm honestly very surprised it burns that many calories.

Ya it's quite surprising considering how easy it feels to play a round but ya, its a 6 mile walk at least with hills etc and with all the added swinging and pushing a cart for 3-4 hours it all adds up to a decent calorie burn. 

Now a days, I always carry.  I was switching off between carry and using a push cart (about 70-30 split).  But with gyms being closed, I've been walking and carrying.  I like the extra workout even if it is only a small difference.