IGNORED

Tiger Troubles - DUI Arrest

Al B Tross
Note: This thread is 2507 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

10 minutes ago, Apoc81 said:

He had/has vices. What do you expect from one of the most famous athletes in the world? Regardless of sport. I played university hockey here in Canada. Athletes get inflated ego's, we womanized and partied and cheated on gf's for years, we just weren't superstars, and the time passed, we had to grow up. Tiger could have his pick of millions of women, so he did. I don't hold that against him, he committed no crime. People around him inflated his ego to the point he held godlike status, it was a long fall from grace, but I don't hold his personal life against him, and never did.  But DUI, that's far worse in my eyes. 

The way I see it, if you were a fan of Tiger before this, you still are. If you weren't a fan of his because of his personal life, then this only adds to the displeasure. People have drawn their opinions on him and this incident isn't going to change anyone's mind. I've always looked up to Tiger for the way he's played golf, but I'm not a fan of the way he's handled himself off the course. 

I think Tiger got mixed up with the wrong crowd there that changed him a bit in the mid-2000s. Guys like Jordan, Jeter, Barkley and others who lived that lifestyle of sleeping with every girl at every chance and partying non-stop. Like you said, it's no crime, but it didn't help him in the court of public opinion. And this doesn't help either. We'll just have to wait and see the facts. If it he was breathing just over a 0.8, people will judge him lightly, but if he was blowing over a 1.5 or doing some sort of drugs, then he's going to take a beating from the press.

Edited by ChrisP

7 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

The way I see it, if you were a fan of Tiger before this, you still are. If you weren't a fan of his because of his personal life, then this only adds to the displeasure. People have drawn their opinions on him and this incident isn't going to change anyone's mind. I've always looked up to Tiger for the way he's played golf, but I'm not a fan of the way he's handled himself off the course. 

I think Tiger got mixed up with the wrong crowd there that changed him a bit in the mid-2000s. Guys like Jordan, Jeter, Barkley and others who lived that lifestyle of sleeping with every girl at every chance and partying non-stop. Like you said, it's no crime, but it didn't help him in the court of public opinion. And this doesn't help either. We'll just have to wait and see the facts. If it he was breathing just over a 0.8, people will judge him lightly, but if he was blowing over a 1.5 or doing some sort of drugs, then he's going to take a beating from the press.

Lost me as a fan. Didn't judge his cheating scandal but this is different.  DUI puts other people in danger. 

• Upvote 3

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, ChrisP said:

I'm just saying, I don't understand why cheating 'scandals' are scandals. I love my wife, I don't cheat on her, but that doesn't mean I don't 'want' beautiful women I meet. Perhaps it's a difference in views, or a different in age that gives us a different outlook, but like I said, when I was young, we couldn't wait for away games to leave the gf's behind. If you think Tiger is the only married womanizer on tour, i'm almost positive you would be sorely mistaken. Superstars live a different set of rules than us, and Golfers are held to this higher moral standard than any other athlete, it's ridiculous. (I'm not talking about golf rules, i'm talking personal life). Having been born with an abundance of talent does not mean you need to be a rolemodel, Athletes are the LAST people we should pick as role models, because a majority of them are just like Tiger. 

Had this been Jordan in the early 90's, either this, or the cheating scandal, it would have been a non-issue as long as he scored 30 points a game. But the press hushed things up for Jordan (his gambling, cheating, and partying were well known), because he was just that good. But from Tiger we expect more, just because it's golf. I don't get it. He was as human as the rest of us before his fall, and he still is today. I don't get riled up about an athlete doing something stupid, because I know what it's like to be just a university athlete, so I can't imagine what its like to be a superstar and avoid all these things, on the road constantly, women throwing themselves at you, women willing to jump in bed with other women with you because of who you are. It would be hard for any mortal man not to fall in that trap. 

He must have been very messed up or the authorities would not have arrested him.  Why was he driving in that state? Where was Notah to look out and take his keys?

Imo he must have been way messed up.

.09 breathalyzer or something and a minor infraction like a rolling stop and there's no way he's arrested unless he is not well liked anyway in that area.

Edited by Jack Watson

21 minutes ago, Jack Watson said:

.09 breathalyzer or something and a minor infraction like a rolling stop and there's no way he's arrested unless he is not well liked anyway in that area.

I bet against that for a couple of reasons.  

First of all, in this day and age there's virtually zero tolerance for DUI, and rightfully so, regardless of celebrity.  In addition, all police vehicles in Florida now have dash cams that are automatically on when the emergency lights are activated.  Many jurisdictions now outfit officers with body cams as well.  As a result, everything an officer does is subject to close review....and if you pull over a car for erratic driving at 3am, that is found to be registered to Tiger Woods, I guaran-damn-tee that it's going to get reviewed...

The discretion that cops once had in a lot of these types of situations just doesn't exist any more.  No cop is likely to risk his career by letting an obvious DUI slide these days, even if it is a celebrity.  Maybe especially then.

Edited by David in FL
  • Upvote 3

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

1 hour ago, ScouseJohnny said:

If some of the reports circulating in the gutter press are actually true - 3am, all over the road, reeking of booze - it might be better from a reputation standpoint to just appear contrite and take the rap, rather than having one of those self-proclaimed "aggressive" DUI attorneys start submitting motions to view the arresting officer's personnel file, etc, etc...

It seems that Florida does allow plea bargaining DUI cases down to "wet reckless," provided the BAC is <1.5

According to Jupiter police, "He was released on his own recognizance eight hours later."  If it really was that bad, I can't believe they'd let him go after only 8 hours.  The article didn't say if he was picked up or by who, but I'm guessing they wouldn't just let him go by himself...

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

2 hours ago, ScouseJohnny said:

If some of the reports circulating in the gutter press are actually true - 3am, all over the road, reeking of booze - it might be better from a reputation standpoint to just appear contrite and take the rap, rather than having one of those self-proclaimed "aggressive" DUI attorneys start submitting motions to view the arresting officer's personnel file, etc, etc...

It seems that Florida does allow plea bargaining DUI cases down to "wet reckless," provided the BAC is <1.5

<.15

1.5 and you'd be in the morgue.

Typos...

The police said he was all over the road.  So he was so messed up he was unable to stay in a lane or maybe even the right side of the road!  He acted arrogant and refused a breathalyzer which means his driver license is now suspended.

Being unable to even stay in a lane is a different ball of wax from some rolling stop.  He must have had to give a urine sample so I bet it comes out he's on drugs also of some sort prolly painkillers.  

Sheesh

• Administrator

TMZ says:

1:00 PM PT -- We've learned Tiger's girlfriend, Kristin Smith, learned about the arrest while shopping at a Neiman Marcus store in Dallas. Someone called her and, according to several eyewitnesses, "she went crazy" and said "I knew it, I knew it." We're told she began crying, then bought $5k worth of merchandise and left.

I don't care much about this, but… at least that part is amusing. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I love the guy. I'll always be a fan. Bad decision, bad choice, but I'll always pull for him.

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

6 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I love the guy. I'll always be a fan. Bad decision, bad choice, but I'll always pull for him.

2 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Lost me as a fan. Didn't judge his cheating scandal but this is different.  DUI puts other people in danger. 

There are many instances of great entertainers who "fall from grace", crossing legal and/or moral boundaries. It's interesting to look at our reactions when they do.

One that comes to mind for me is Woody Allen. A brilliant director and comedian (IMO), who married his girlfriend's daughter, whom he had helped raise.

While I was disgusted by the act, I still defended him as an entertainer. I still love (some of) his movies, and feel I can separate the man from his art.

I guess I have the same reaction to this incident. Woods is clearly not acting in a way most of us would want our friends and family to behave. We are watching a classic, albeit slow motion, fall from grace.

Like Woody, Woods is well past his prime. Still, we can celebrate his golf and accomplishments while disparaging his behavior. I think I can separate the man from his art.

56 minutes ago, Jack Watson said:

The police said he was all over the road.  So he was so messed up he was unable to stay in a lane or maybe even the right side of the road!  He acted arrogant and refused a breathalyzer which means his driver license is now suspended.

Being unable to even stay in a lane is a different ball of wax from some rolling stop.  He must have had to give a urine sample so I bet it comes out he's on drugs also of some sort prolly painkillers.  

Sheesh

of course he's on painkillers, the man just had back surgery. But that doesn't excuse a dui.

Also, police have said nothing from what i've seen. News reports have said a lot. 

Still, he should be nailed to the wall like any regular joe for this. 

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Apoc81 said:

of course he's on painkillers, the man just had back surgery.

Over a month ago. He could be off the by now.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

18 minutes ago, Apoc81 said:

Also, police have said nothing from what i've seen. News reports have said a lot.

Memorial Day.

Police report will apparently be released later this week, maybe as early as tomorrow.

21 minutes ago, iacas said:

Over a month ago. He could be off the by now.

He should be off them now.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

15 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

He should be off them now.

Valid point... I personally know a few guys who got hooked after surgery and had a little trouble kicking them.  It happens.

Obviously, none of us know all the facts here.  And everyone is different.

1 hour ago, chspeed said:

There are many instances of great entertainers who "fall from grace", crossing legal and/or moral boundaries. It's interesting to look at our reactions when they do.

One that comes to mind for me is Woody Allen. A brilliant director and comedian (IMO), who married his girlfriend's daughter, whom he had helped raise.

While I was disgusted by the act, I still defended him as an entertainer. I still love (some of) his movies, and feel I can separate the man from his art.

I guess I have the same reaction to this incident. Woods is clearly not acting in a way most of us would want our friends and family to behave. We are watching a classic, albeit slow motion, fall from grace.

Like Woody, Woods is well past his prime. Still, we can celebrate his golf and accomplishments while disparaging his behavior. I think I can separate the man from his art.

I do see some similarities as well as contrasts. Woody Allen's choices were made long ago, and have nothing to do with a failing career. He's still putting out movies.

TW's first incident was like Woody Allen's, all about his selfish wants.

TW's second incident might be more related to the hard realization that he'll never be back.

Pure speculation of course on my part.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

As a cop, I see this kind of thing happen every day. 90% of DUI's this holiday weekend will not make the news. In Tiger's case the media will be determined to make money off of him regardless of his victories or failures. That just goes along with the territory, like his 40m dollar mansion. 

I don't want to sound like an after school special but this helps remind me that regardless of the area I'm in, be it Windermere or the ghetto, impaired drivers are all around us. Drive defensively, protect your families because someone out there is too drunk or high to care. 

Shutting up now....

(btw, if I ever do get hit by a DUI driver and god forbid it's serious, I hope it's by Tiger because I'm getting an autograph and then getting paaaaiiiiiiiid)

Edited by Maxallowedstrokes

Driver - Callaway Mavrik 10°, Fairway - Callaway Mavrik 3w, Hybrid - Callaway Mavrik 3 & 4, Irons - Callaway 2018 X-Forged 5-PW, Wedges - Callaway Jaws 50°, 56° & 60°, Putter - Odyssey 2-Ball White Steel SRT Mallet 

Note: This thread is 2507 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!