IGNORED

Hank Haney questions Bernhard Langer's Putting

Vinsk
Note: This thread is 2338 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ah. Well it certainly seems reasonable that he has at times 'anchored' or 'created a pivot point' with his left arm. Seems like it would be pretty easy to get lazy with that and do it.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

From the events the last 2 weeks - not a lot to look at

go to 1:25 for a couple of Langer putts (looks okay to me)

0:38 hard to tell
2:22 looks okay
4:38 can't really tell from that angle

• Upvote 1

Players play, tough players win!

37 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-rosaforte-report-bernhard-langers-new-putting-stroke-has-people-talking

This still photo shows him just after making a stroke in play....his forearm looks like it's touching his chest to me.

In that photo, the shirt is hanging loose away from the body.  To me, it doesn't look anchored in the photo.

Edited by No Mulligans

• Administrator
4 hours ago, MRR said:

The video posted in #15 shows;

1) While making the stroke, there is a wrinkle in the shirt that is supported by the arm,

2) After the arm moves very slightly away from the body, the shirt "falls" and the wrinkle comes out.

It appears to me that the weight and drape of the shirt is enough to not allow such a wrinkle unless the arm was actually pressed against the body.

Yes, but the question is whether it was a practice stroke or an actual stroke at a ball.

4 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

go to 1:25 for a couple of Langer putts (looks okay to me)

0:38 hard to tell
2:22 looks okay
4:38 can't really tell from that angle

Those look all okay to me, too.

4 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

In that photo, the shirt is hanging loose away from the body.  To me, it doesn't look anchored in the photo.

That article's from February. It describes what he was thinking in February, but may not describe what he's actually doing these days.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yes, but the question is whether it was a practice stroke or an actual stroke at a ball.

Those look all okay to me, too.

That article's from February. It describes what he was thinking in February, but may not describe what he's actually doing these days.

And boy is that often the case in the golf.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Just ban the long putter and be done with it

• Upvote 1

- adam -

Routine: work, eat, golf, sleep, repeat

Clubs: (All Used TaylorMade) Burner Superfast Driver, JetSpeed 3&5 FW, Rescue Hybrid, Burner 2.0 Irons 5-AW, ATV Wedge 56*, White Ghost blade putter

• Administrator
38 minutes ago, zero said:

Just ban the long putter and be done with it

What length is too long?

• Upvote 2

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I simultaneously found this thread interesting while recognizing that this is the type of discussion that makes non-golfers roll their eyes at us.

• Upvote 2

"Witty golf quote."

12 hours ago, Aguirre said:

I simultaneously found this thread interesting while recognizing that this is the type of discussion that makes non-golfers roll their eyes at us.

Who cares what non-golfer think? Not me. They get their knickers in a bunch about other stuff.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

14 hours ago, iacas said:

What length is too long?

They could limit all clubs to 48" maximum but it won't solve anything.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I've always wondered but nobody could give a good answer. I wondered why more broomstick putters didn't follow suit.

Edited by MuniGrit

Trollin' is the life

17 hours ago, iacas said:

What length is too long?

I remember a quote from a touring pro saying that the putter should be no longer than the shortest club in your bag. I guess that would be around 36 inches for most people. Seems like a pretty simple solution if a length condition was ever put in place. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I heard a pro say that the putter should be no longer than the shortest club in your bag.

Pretty sure that was Tiger Woods who said that.

The thread we had when the changes were proposed and then implemented had exhaustive discussions on all of this, although I don't remember them exactly.  I linked it earlier in this thread and would try and find the portions of the discussions pertaining to this, but it's like 8 trillion pages long and I don't know where to start looking.

All that I do remember is that they were very adamant that the rule change had to be about the stroke and NOT about the equipment.

3 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Pretty sure that was Tiger Woods who said that.

The thread we had when the changes were proposed and then implemented had exhaustive discussions on all of this, although I don't remember them exactly.  I linked it earlier in this thread and would try and find the portions of the discussions pertaining to this, but it's like 8 trillion pages long and I don't know where to start looking.

All that I do remember is that they were very adamant that the rule change had to be about the stroke and NOT about the equipment.

I was always ambivalent towards the anchored putting ban. I just didn't care. My only thought on it was that its not easy to do as some for the ban made it seem. Its a skill you have to learn to get good at it. But i also think if there is going to be an anchored ban some sort of putter length condition should have went with it. It would've removed all grey areas. Id be pretty hard to skirt around the rule like what Langer is doing with a 35 inch putter....

I sometimes golf with a guy who does what Langer seems to be doing. Although the hand at the top of the club is not touching his chest, his inside fore arm of his top hand is pressed against his side for stability. He plays in a few sanctioned events, and his stroke has been deemed legal by ruling party in charge. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

4 minutes ago, Patch said:

I sometimes golf with a guy who does what Langer seems to be doing. Although the hand at the top of the club is not touching his chest, his inside fore arm of his top hand is pressed against his side for stability. He plays in a few sanctioned events, and his stroke has been deemed legal by ruling party in charge. 

IMHO, stabilizing without creating a fixed mechanical pivot point is fair game.  

Vishal S.

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Yeah. That's the entire basis for the rule.

Ray Floyd had a particularly long putter but he didn't anchor it at all. Conversely, you could anchor a relatively short putter, too.

50% won't work - most people aren't 70" tall but a 35" putter is pretty common.

Note: This thread is 2338 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!